Roadie vs Pingo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Re: Roadie vs Pingo

Post by Jazz »

Customs are genuinely power tripping jacka$$es. I have little respect for them.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:38 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:27 pm
archangel wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:51 pm
Stupid customs held my Roadie for almost two weeks, now they're playing games at collecting fees at delivery while I'm actually on summer vacation. Freaks!! There's a real risk that it'll be returned to the US..... I so hate them.
I understand. I ordered 2 fir gifts and paid fir fast shipping. Corruption in customs decided that made it more valuable so they raised the charge on me 3 times.i went to collect and despite having the signed firm with cost they would ssy I had to pay more.

Well, I finally got them.
I think I’d have walked out and left em there. Go ahead, send em back you stinking crooks!
That’s how I got them....told them to send them back...no more money
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Well done sir!
archangel

Post by archangel »

archangel wrote:
Stupid customs held my Roadie for almost two weeks, now they're playing games at collecting fees at delivery while I'm actually on summer vacation. Freaks!! There's a real risk that it'll be returned to the US..... I so hate them.

Well the boneheads from customs and german mail managed to declare my Roadie undeliverable and return it to sender. :mad: At least the shop refunded me. New order was placed, now the wait begins again... :(
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

archangel wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:02 am
archangel wrote:

Well the boneheads from customs and german mail managed to declare my Roadie undeliverable and return it to sender. :mad: At least the shop refunded me. New order was placed, now the wait begins again... :(
Oh brother! Is it just that there are mean spirited, or are they just incompetent, or they just plain crazy?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. Except in the case of the petty functionary drunk with power.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

archangel wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:02 am
archangel wrote:

Well if you ever get one, it’s actually a fairly nice little slip joint pen knife. It’s legal just about everywhere and it is very small and slim. It’s not the best slicer but is not as terrible as some other knives. I have some traditional’s that are worse slicers than the Roadie, in fact.Basically it’s a good utility knife to carry around in your pocket and not take up a lot of room And you won’t have to worry about snapping off the blade because it’s too thin.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I’ve been using my orange Roadie as a penknife, opening boxes, mailers, etc. As a penknife it excels. This is just a marvelous tool to keep by the table or by the bedside or wherever that you might need a penknife.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
archangel

Post by archangel »

Well it only took three orders and almost three months, but today I finally received my Roadie. Never had this much trouble getting anything from overseas... But it was worth the wait! I like it! Although I must say that you need quite a bit of force to close it.

But hey, it's Orange! My favourite color!! :)
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

archangel wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:33 pm
Well it only took three orders and almost three months, but today I finally received my Roadie. Never had this much trouble getting anything from overseas... But it was worth the wait! I like it! Although I must say that you need quite a bit of force to close it.

But hey, it's Orange! My favourite color!! :)
Congrats on finally getting a fantastic knife!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I’m glad you got it. I keep one next to my chair so if I need a knife to open something, it’s there. Mine is orange, too. However, I have bought red ones to give as gifts.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
archangel

Post by archangel »

What? You don't wear one on you?? :eek:

No kidding, at home, in my sweatpants, my Slysz Bowie is always on me. 7 days a week. Feels good, and has the right size for everything. A Roadie type spydie is perfect to put into the coin compartment of your wallet, if you have that. Some closed space where it can't get lost easily and you just KNOW that it's in there. For that, it's perfect! Just my TCs...
Michael
archangel

Post by archangel »

Just wanted to add, since that's the second half of the subject of this thread, that imho the Pingo is something completely different. It's bigger, and what's much more important, it has a (very good) clip! I'm much more comfortable with those.

Of my 27 spydie folders, only 4 are clipless: Grasshopper and Honeybee, Dog Tac, and now the Roadie. Hopper and Bee are chained to my two bunches of keys, while DT & Roadie will most likely be placed somewhere safe and clever. Not sure yet where - I only have one wallet. ;)
Michael
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't have much interest in the Roadie so I'd have to go with the Pingo. Of the Pingo had a lock and a proper thumb hole I'd already own one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:17 am
I don't have much interest in the Roadie so I'd have to go with the Pingo. Of the Pingo had a lock and a proper thumb hole I'd already own one.
I was not interested in it either but got one to round out an order. It’s actually pretty cool. It makes a great little knife for times you really don’t need to use a bigger knife. It’s not the best slicer but it is pretty rugged and a better slicer than many small knives on the market.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I now know the Roadie to be a tiny gem that is about as jurisdiction-friendly as can be.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:59 am
The Roadie does improve several things about the Pingo. One thing is that because it has a actual finger choil, the knife is not going to close on your hand accidentally and your finger is not likely to slide forward on to the sharp blade. Both of these were somewhat of a problem with the Pingo.
I have a couple Pingos and I have never had any of them close accidentally. The action is nice and stiff on all of them... I do have to confess, I did what a lot of people think of as Spydie sacrilege and added a thumbstud to one and it completely transformed the knife into a one-handed opening workhorse.

A Roadie is on my short list of knives to buy... they look great.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I had a Roadie and discovered, as is true with knives, that it can’t be really evaluated or understood until you have one in hand and put it to use. Mine was a quality built slip joint and useful for about anything I might need to cut. It goes anywhere in any pocket. The blade dimples make opening easy but it’s a bit stiff when closing. Probably not appropriate for small children. The finger choil arrangement pretty much guarantees that an accidentally closing blade won’t cut you.

I’d say a very good all-around keep it at hand knife.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The knife gets much smoother with use.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050