Taichung Mid Backlocks

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Are you interested in more Taichung-made mid backlock spydies?

Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 45

Wartstein

Re: Taichung Mid Backlocks

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:33 pm
No too the whole thing. Hate backlocks with a deep passion. I think it's funny that most of the forum loves backlocks but when I talk to friends and colleages most prefer liner lock or to try something new.

Just guessing and in no way meant offensive towards your "friends and colleagues": But maybe the difference between them and the people on the forum who love backlocks is, that the latter really and often use their folders?
I am a 100% certain that anyone who really uses a backlock knife frequently, will not find that lock harder or slower to operate, and discover its clear advantages in some aspects.. (detent / safety in pocket, operation with gloves (ok, liner lock shines here either), ambidextrous, knife always very secure in hand when closing and so on..)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:44 am
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
No too the whole thing. Hate backlocks with a deep passion. I think it's funny that most of the forum loves backlocks but when I talk to friends and colleages most prefer liner lock or to try something new.

Just guessing and in no way meant offensive towards your "friends and colleagues": But maybe the difference between them and the people on the forum who love backlocks is, that the latter really and often use their folders?
I am a 100% certain that anyone who really uses a backlock knife frequently, will not find that lock harder or slower to operate, and discover its clear advantages in some aspects.. (detent / safety in pocket, operation with gloves (ok, liner lock shines here either), ambidextrous, knife always very secure in hand when closing and so on..)
actually we all started out with sak's and backlocks. as soon as we saw a new lock (liner/frame lock) we bought it and never looked back, i am the only one that will include slipits as a safe carry knife out of all of us, anymore. we have never had an issue of them closing or failing, most of the time they are easier to use, never have we had a detent issue.

i think honestly why most ppl on the forum like them because they feel it is safer lock and have no problem using 2 hands or playing with it to move it in there hand to close it. yes it is a safer lock from the extreme pov not a real user pov, i do not use my knives to any extreme it is a tool. the spring detent sucks and is not safe if you get you finger in there before it gets past the spring point. bit my fingers ways to many times. and not to mention most of the time takes alot more pressure to push the lock compared to a liner/compression lock.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Pancake wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:16 pm
We need this thing.

Caribbean mid-backlock. Like the only thing keeping me away from buying it are reports of kinda weak detent. With backlock, no detent to worry about.

Yes I would like to see more Taichung backlock.....but not the funny puny knives like Sage. Give me someting with 3,5 - 4 inch blade and then we are talking.
Sign me up!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

Backlocks are the only ones I trust to carry loose in my pocket. I only carry other locks clipped, with the spine against the seam of my pocket.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:24 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:44 am
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:

i think honestly why most ppl on the forum like them because they feel it is safer lock and have no problem using 2 hands or playing with it to move it in there hand to close it. yes it is a safer lock from the extreme pov not a real user pov, i do not use my knives to any extreme it is a tool. the spring detent sucks and is not safe if you get you finger in there before it gets past the spring point. bit my fingers ways to many times. and not to mention most of the time takes alot more pressure to push the lock compared to a liner/compression lock.

Not the place for yet another backlock discussion (and I am well aware that I am one of those who actually initiated a lot of those discussions! ;), so just briefly (plus vids at the end):

I´ll admit that probably a backlock takes a bit more time to get "good" on it as some other locks. But I think anyone who really uses and operates their (backlock-) knives, will automatically invests that bit of time. And when you are a bit used to a backlock, I think there can´t be any safer lock both in pocket and in use, plus it´s very user friendly, and that (other than other locks) in almost any condition (wet, cold, gloves and so on).
So just a plain and simple and most likely the best lock for down to earth people who really frequently use folders in various conditions.

It is also the lock, that makes it the least likely your "fingers are bitten" when you know how to use it, AND want to have the knife secure in hand while operating (and not somewhat unsafely pinched and more prone do dropping the knife as let`s say with a comp. lock)

" A lot more pressure to push the lock" - really? Not on mine, except maybe the Chaparral initially... And other than the somewhat small and and with gloves hard to find lock tab of a comp.lock, a lock bar is huge and very comfortable to use.

I finally taught myself how to make and post vides (!!! :D ). What you can see below are literally the first videos I ever took on my phone.
I am not at home right now, so these are just very quick and the very first takes of three methods how to close a backlock without having the fingers in the blade path at all. On each vid at first very slow, then two times in my normal speed. You´ll maybe have to let run each vid two or three times before it fully functions)

https://streamable.com/myzlt

https://streamable.com/j7fjd

https://streamable.com/bhhzs
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I like having to press a little harder to disengage a back lock. It gives me confidence in use that it wants to remain locked up solidly. I am a huge fan of the CS tri-ad lock, and that has nothing to do with all the cheesey videos showcasing it's strength. I just love the way it locks up and the user confidence it yields. Although I really like spyderco backlocks (occasional small amount of lock rock is nowhere near a deal breaker), I'm curious as to when CS's (or is it Demko's?) patent on the Tri-ad lock expires, and which companies will begin using it. Could spyderco make their own version of the Tri-ad lock when this happens? I'd bet money it would be better than Cold Steel's.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
D-Wade

Post by D-Wade »

Sage 4 sprint run please. I need it to complete my Sage collection. :)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:45 am
...I'm curious as to when CS's (or is it Demko's?) patent on the Tri-ad lock expires, and which companies will begin using it. Could spyderco make their own version of the Tri-ad lock when this happens? I'd bet money it would be better than Cold Steel's.
I may not be remembering correctly and have no time for research at the moment, but isn't Spyderco's PowerLock a similar concept as the Tri-Ad lock?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

That's what I thought too
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:56 am
Pancake wrote:
We need this thing.

Caribbean mid-backlock. Like the only thing keeping me away from buying it are reports of kinda weak detent. With backlock, no detent to worry about.

Yes I would like to see more Taichung backlock.....but not the funny puny knives like Sage. Give me someting with 3,5 - 4 inch blade and then we are talking.
Sign me up!
I would buy that right now.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:40 am
Pelagic wrote:
...I'm curious as to when CS's (or is it Demko's?) patent on the Tri-ad lock expires, and which companies will begin using it. Could spyderco make their own version of the Tri-ad lock when this happens? I'd bet money it would be better than Cold Steel's.
I may not be remembering correctly and have no time for research at the moment, but isn't Spyderco's PowerLock a similar concept as the Tri-Ad lock?
I’ve been wanting to try this lock for a while but it’s only been offered on the chinook 4 and tatanka. A little big for my taste.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Pelagic wrote:

Not sure, but I somehow recall that both are really strong (more so than ever needed actually), but in totally crazy, irrelevant for real life tests, the Tri-Ad lock even a bit stronger??
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:35 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Pelagic wrote:

Not sure, but I somehow recall that both are really strong (more so than ever needed actually), but in totally crazy, irrelevant for real life tests, the Tri-Ad lock even a bit stronger??
Didn’t Sal put out a query about the possibility of a military with a power lock?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Power lock military??? Wow, that's interesting.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:37 am
Power lock military??? Wow, that's interesting.
Why do I feel like we'll see one before the Military 2 that has been discussed since around 2002? :rolleyes:
:unicorn
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Pancake wrote:
We need this thing.

I agree with you 100 percent. I am sure many others on the forum do, as well. When Sal announced the Caribbean I had been hoping there would be a mid back lock version because that is the strongest lock I know of, except for things like TriAd and Axis and others.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:46 am
Pelagic wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:56 am
Pancake wrote:
We need this thing.

Sign me up!
I would buy that right now.
Obviously, it would void the warranty, but, how difficult would it be for a person with machinist skill and equipment to take the current-model Caribbean and actually take it apart, and convert the Compression Lock system to a Mid Back Lock system like that? Would the cost be greater than the original cost of the knife?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Pelagic wrote:

Tri-ad is essentially a normal back lock with a stop pin added between the blade and lockbar, Powerlock is a compound linkage with a cam lug that blocks the tang.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:09 am
Obviously, it would void the warranty, but, how difficult would it be for a person with machinist skill and equipment to take the current-model Caribbean and actually take it apart, and convert the Compression Lock system to a Mid Back Lock system like that? Would the cost be greater than the original cost of the knife?
I am not even sure if you can pull out this design to real life. I see one big issue: I dont know if you can fold the blade with no choil is the handle and have space for spring, backspacer and lever....Maybe yes.
Another issue is that you will need a second pin that would provide rest for the blade, that it will not contact the backspacer and spring.....If I have a spare time some day I will make a model out of cardboard to see if it could work.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The backlocks from Taichung use an internal stop pin and in a way they behave the same as a triad lock. One has an internal stop pin and one is external. That makes them very strong with minimal blade play.

Spyderco’s internal pin isn’t the magnet for pocket lint and other crud that the triad lock is and it looks cleaner too.

What I find advantageous about the internal stop pin is that it could be used to replace the kick which would allow you to make a back lock without a choil or ricasso. The triad locks stop pin only operates in the open position and the triad lock closes like a regular back lock. Spyderco’s Taichung backlock utilizes the stop pin in both the open and the closed position.

In my opinion Spyderco’s backlocks with internal stop pins are superior in every way over the triad lock. Maybe it needs a cool name and some hype?
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?