Spyderco coffee mug

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RustyIron

Re: Spyderco coffee mug

Post by RustyIron »

sal wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:23 pm
I will probably begin with a 12 oz. mug that is straight sided and the top and bottom are the same size and the handle is large enough and can hang the mug on a hook up or down. I believe this is the most efficient shape. I will see if they make a larger version?
I just went down to the kitchen and measured my favorite coffee mug. It's 16 ounces. Granted, it's on the big side. I like it when I'm filling it up once and then going out to the garage or back yard. A smaller mug is great if the plan is to stay inside, get a couple refills, and keep it hot. Anywhere from 12-16 ounces is fine. The handle MUST be able to accommodate three man-sized fingers. Anything smaller, and I feel like I should be wearing a bow tie and nibbling on scones. Not that there's anything wrong with bow ties and scones... The other consideration... and I'm sure you have a whole team of experts devoted to this subject... is price. I have enough really cool promotional cups and shirts to last a lifetime. But if another cool cup or shirt shows up at my price point, my clicky-finger can't resist.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Id like to have a coffee cup also,,,,,

Maybe Spyderco could team up with RTIC and have some tumblers, water bottles, or can coolers made.

I would definitely buy.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

hambone56rx wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:03 pm
Hambone wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:41 pm
sal wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:44 pm
Hi Hambone,

Welcome to our forum. :D

sal
Thanks Sal
I like your name Hambone!

Hamilton

Thanks... yours is ok I guess 🤷🏼‍♂️.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:56 pm
Id like to have a coffee cup also,,,,,

Maybe Spyderco could team up with RTIC and have some tumblers, water bottles, or can coolers made.

I would definitely buy.
RTIC produces some good quality items and I think it would be a great fit.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
sal

Post by sal »

We're working on two. The first one will be very much like the original 12 oz coffee mugs we made years ago. The second one is an oddball and I can't say anything about it.

Both will more than likely be consumer direct to keep the cost down. Then we'll go from there.

sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Exciting news!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Not drinking coffee has never stopped me from owning a slew of coffee mugs....
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

sal wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:16 pm
We're working on two. The first one will be very much like the original 12 oz coffee mugs we made years ago. The second one is an oddball and I can't say anything about it.

Both will more than likely be consumer direct to keep the cost down. Then we'll go from there.

sal
Need to make one that is a "puzzle mug" like type that George Ohr ("The Mad Potter of Biloxi") used to make. You have to hold the mug in just the right way in order to be able to drink out of it. If you know about Ohr's mugs you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Here is a good article about Ohr and his art:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-cul ... 106065115/
Attachments
Ohr Mug.jpg
Last edited by The CoPilot on Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Awesome!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:08 am
Coffee is the nectar of the gods. I’d be down for a cup!
I couldn't have said that any better. Not sure how I would fare in a survival situation without coffee beans to get me through it. Which is why I've gone to using one of the newer type "Pour Over" coffee makers. You don't need electricity to make an excellent cup of smooth coffee.

I'm to the point I would just about buy anything with Spyderco's name and logo on it.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I'm patiently waiting....hopefully by xmas
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Interesting
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:16 pm

sal

I don´t know exactly what "consumer direct" means (not a native speaker in English) - could anyone please explain?
Maybe that the mugs will only be available directly from Spyderco?
That would be not so good news for us Europeans, for then no European (online-) store would carry the mugs... :o
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

With the popularity of these newer "Pour Over" type coffee making devices maybe Spyderco ought to look at doing one with their name on it. The timing couldn't be better. Oh sure they could still make just a regular coffee mug as well. But I would make it in at least 2 sizes. One would be about 12 to 16 ounces and the other would be about 20 to 28 ounces for the serious coffee drinker.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

The CoPilot wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:47 pm

Need to make one that is a "puzzle mug" like type that George Ohr ("The Mad Potter of Biloxi") used to make. You have to hold the mug in just the right way in order to be able to drink out of it. I've you know about Ohr's mugs you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

I had NO IDEA what you were talking about, but luckily I'm very good friends with a guy named Google.

That Ohr guy? Reminds me of a Salvador Dali, but with ceramics... and a penchant for art that is actually pretty. Seeing Ohr's work reminded me of a vase that sits on my living room mantle. I picked it up at an exhibition a few years back. It could have been inspired by Ohr's work, but is more crudely executed and lacks the flair of someone of Ohr's caliber. Picture below.

Don't tell anyone I told you, but rumor has it that the "secret" new Spyderco coffee mug is going to be a Mule run. The kit will contain a Spyderco Clay Knife (in Spy27) and a lump of clay.
IMG_8237.jpeg
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Yes!!! ☕👍👍
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:25 am
With the popularity of these newer "Pour Over" type coffee making devices maybe Spyderco ought to look at doing one with their name on it. The timing couldn't be better. Oh sure they could still make just a regular coffee mug as well. But I would make it in at least 2 sizes. One would be about 12 to 16 ounces and the other would be about 20 to 28 ounces for the serious coffee drinker.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:25 am
I am in the 12 to 16 ounces size preference. I'd buy both though because my buddy likes the big cups. I picked up a stainless cup in enamel coating and print the other day. Nothing to break, and awesome cup to drink from.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Will the bottom of the mug be offered in both coarse and fine? :)
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

abbazaba wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:41 pm

I'm in for a CBN mug :D
~andrew
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

abbazaba wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:41 pm
Depends on how it’s ground... ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King