Spyderco coffee mug

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Re: Spyderco coffee mug

Post by The Deacon »

The mugs from Deneen are beautiful and classy. I would certainly buy at least one of them. OTOH, if Spyderco wanted to do something that required no monetary investment, no inventory to maintain, and no employee time beyond designing the logo or logos, setting up a CafePress or Zazzle store might be an option worth considering. Mugs are made to order and shipped direct to the purchaser who can choose between a variety of sizes and styles. Logo can be applied to either side, both sides, or centered.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

Just like I rarely use traditional pocket knives because the modern ones from Spyderco are far superior, I rarely use a ceramic or pottery coffee cup.

My favorite for the last several years and the foreseeable future is the Yeti 14 oz Rambler Mug. Insulated, stainless (Meaning virtually indestructible), and almost holds enough coffee. (You can never have too much coffee.) Holding true to my Polish heritage, I drop and break more cups, bowls, and plates than would seem humanly possible. If only stainless steel was microwave safe...

If it's ceramic, I'll probably pick one up, and my wife, the traditionalist, will use it. For me, I would love a modern insulated stainless mug.

On a slightly related topic, what about a Spyderco water bottle? I think a water bottle in S30V with a patterned damascus cap would be the bomb.

Grizz
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Easy to put a sticker on a stainless tumbler or a water bottle since they don’t go in the dishwasher. In fact I’ve got a Spyderco sticker on my big stainless tumbler!

I much prefer a dishwasher-safe ceramic mug where the logo won’t wash off. I’ve had several pint glasses and coffee mug logos wash off through several trips through the dishwasher, because they are cheaply applied.

Please Spyderco, make a more hardy mug!

I’d love to see the bread truck on a ceramic mug!

And as someone posted above, please make sure the handle isn’t a dinky 2-finger round structure that doesn’t support the orientation of the mug.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:04 am
The mugs from Deneen are beautiful and classy. I would certainly buy at least one of them. OTOH, if Spyderco wanted to do something that required no monetary investment, no inventory to maintain, and no employee time beyond designing the logo or logos, setting up a CafePress or Zazzle store might be an option worth considering. Mugs are made to order and shipped direct to the purchaser who can choose between a variety of sizes and styles. Logo can be applied to either side, both sides, or centered.
Recently got a mug from Zazzle. I am disappointed with the printing. The website showed a nice image with clear text and a diagram (it is a cheat sheet for git commands). The actual mug has printing that seems washed out and of a lower resolution. Maybe this is not indicative of their work and the Spyderco bug isn't text heavy, but the quality just isn't there.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

p_atrick wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:18 am
Recently got a mug from Zazzle. I am disappointed with the printing. The website showed a nice image with clear text and a diagram (it is a cheat sheet for git commands). The actual mug has printing that seems washed out and of a lower resolution. Maybe this is not indicative of their work and the Spyderco bug isn't text heavy, but the quality just isn't there.

They've done a number of mugs for me and I've been happy with all but one, which they replaced at no charge. Some just have photos, but these two have graphics of my own design, plus printing, including some that is fairly small and I think they turned out well. Not saying it was the case with your mug but, as with anything being printed, the resolution of the image you supply is going to be a major factor in the quality of the finished product. 96 dpi can look fine on a computer screen, but not so great when printed on something even though the printed image is smaller than the screen image because dpi translates to color density. Print color can also be a factor, the small print in black is a lot easier to read on the 16 oz. mug than the small gold print on the 20 oz. mug.

Paul
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Here is an old mug for your viewing pleasure.

VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Mini2white wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:51 pm
Here is an old mug for your viewing pleasure.

I'd buy at least 2 of those.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

https://imgur.com/a/0xMhjv7

Soooo jealous! These are awesome!!!
Think for yourself
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Candyman,

They should be available at the SFO.

sal
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Wow I just popped in and bam my old thread and Sal just chimed in!!! Are these ready for Xmas?!
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Awe man I just saw only at the store. I'm beat I live way too far
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

sal wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:51 pm
Thanx Candyman,

They should be available at the SFO.

sal
And there’s a choice between black bugs on red, or red bugs on black like this one.
Attachments
78864865-B1B9-4032-AB0D-813FC9095AE2.jpeg
C55BD9FC-4406-493B-91C6-1209D6191C2B.jpeg
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Bummer in store only. Although my wife would not be happy if I got another coffee mug; running out of shelf space. I would have to get one of each color for sure.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I think I like the "Red on Black" better. I'll probably be getting at least 3 to 4 of those.

I'm hoping that there will also be more shirts, belt buckles, and wouldn't a high quality tatt :cool: oo of Spydie be nice
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Nothing on the website, so it seems like they're only available in Golden and not online. Kinda sucks if that's the case.
Paul
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:05 am
Nothing on the website, so it seems like they're only available in Golden and not online. Kinda sucks if that's the case.
It's my understanding that they are only available at SFO in person right now but will be made available online around the time of the Seconds sale. As well as the new bandanas.
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm all but certain that if the sales of these cups go well they will be available to all of the people that truly want them.

You can't blame the company for playing it safe in this highly uncertain economic environment.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:41 am
I'm all but certain that if the sales of these cups go well they will be available to all of the people that truly want them.

You can't blame the company for playing it safe in this highly uncertain economic environment.
Yep, they will be made available to purchase online soon. :cool:
-Nick :bug-red
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Hopefully someone starts selling these on eBay cuz I want one big time...
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I need a respect bandana to go with my respect.