is this delica real

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Suzuki04

is this delica real

Post by Suzuki04 »

not too sure I'm not convinced others I've seen have deeper grooves in the logo, more indented backlock, and wider spacing in the laser etching of the spyderco
Attachments
20190722_233850_60.jpg
20190722_233829_60.jpg
20190722_233909_60.jpg
20190722_233820_60.jpg
20190722_233931_60.jpg
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: is this delica real

Post by Doc Dan »

It is hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like a blade swap from the Bento Box m390 Where someone put a vg10 blade in those scales because They didn’t like the color.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Hmm that's interesting, it doesn't *look* knocked-off, but I've never seen that scale color on a VG-10 Delica before. Not to say it doesn't exist, just that I wasn't aware of it; like Dan said, maybe someone did a swap.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Joey

Post by Joey »

It looks to me to be real. If it’s fake, it looks like a good one. I got a green dragonfly from eBay that was fake. It looked pretty great, and close to the real thing. The problems that stood out to me in that case were; poor machining, handle wasn’t FRN but harder and lighter weight, handle color/steel didn’t make sense with anything I’ve seen previously (OD green that seemed like forest green from pictures online prior to purchase/VG-10), and the branding letters were thinner than any I’ve seen. The branding and Spyderco emblem were slightly crooked as well. Hope that helps!

Isn’t that color in that steel in current regular production? I’m thinking that’s why BBS made their Delica with more of a Navy blue.
Can you get some better shots of the branding/bevel?
PStone

Post by PStone »

Something looks off with the tang stamp. Almost looks etched. As far as I know, Seki does not etch their tangs. And where it says Delica on the scales looks a bit off too. Almost says De lica.
carrot

Post by carrot »

Sadly, you have a counterfeit.

I had one just like it that I was suspicious of for awhile. It just didn't feel quite right and I couldn't place it.

I hope you can return yours.
PineChaos

Post by PineChaos »

Seki does laser etch current production knives, and the color looks correct for a C11FPBL.

It does look fake though, based on the handle molding.
PStone

Post by PStone »

PineChaos wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:04 am
Seki does laser etch current production knives, and the color looks correct for a C11FPBL.

It does look fake though, based on the handle molding.
I didn’t know too far then. :o
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Suzuki04 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:00 pm
not too sure I'm not convinced others I've seen have deeper grooves in the logo, more indented backlock, and wider spacing in the laser etching of the spyderco
Can you take a picture of the Spyder on the blade? Close up in good light? I'm looking to see if the triangle is there on the spyder(like the sharpmaker).

-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

It appears to be a fake. The FRN molding is not crisp enough. This is especially easy to spot around the edge of the oval.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Where did you buy it? Reputable dealer?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

It's pretty hard to tell. But whether it's a fake or not, it's unsettling that the counterfeits are so close to the real thing. Anyway, back on topic. Did you happen to get the box with it? If you did, pics of that might help.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Delica fakes are particularly close in appearance to the real thing, but you can still spot them easily if you know what to look for. On a real Delica, the outer edge of the oval and the inner edge of the handle outline are extremely crisp, and appear to have a slight amount of mold flash. On the fakes these edges are rounded, and the rest of the FRN molding is also less crisp. There are also subtle differences in machining, screws etc., but the handle molding is a dead giveaway.

tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Accutron wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:43 am
Delica fakes are particularly close in appearance to the real thing, but you can still spot them easily if you know what to look for. On a real Delica, the outer edge of the oval and the inner edge of the handle outline are extremely crisp, and appear to have a slight amount of mold flash. On the fakes these edges are rounded, and the rest of the FRN molding is also less crisp. There are also subtle differences in machining, screws etc., but the handle molding is a dead giveaway.

This is frightening!
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

tonijedi wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:25 am
Accutron wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:43 am

This is frightening!
I agree with you, it’s frightening. Sometimes is very hard to tell the difference between an authentic Spydie and a fake one. IMO the best way to prevent this situation, is buying from reputable dealers...
Very good point Accutron!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Yikes, those first sorta lo-res images made it look legit, but now it seems there are serious doubts. Pretty amazing what counterfeiters will do; and here I am thinking it would just be easier to sell legit pieces... What a muppet I am.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara