Edge retention, and steel variances knife to knife.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tps3443

Edge retention, and steel variances knife to knife.

Post by tps3443 »

I’d love to hear everyone’s opinion or thoughts on this. First of all, my first Spydercos were both in S110V. And I moved over to a PM2 in S30V expecting just an OK knife.

I feel like my PM2 in S30V holds a razor sharp edge as long or longer than my PM2 in S110V ever did.

I am really wondering why this S30V is performing so well. I guess what I am getting at is, a PM2 in S110V was a totally different knife vs a Military in S110V. Even though the steels were the same, they performed much different as far as edge retention goes. And this S30V doesn’t seem much far behind my PM2 in S110V.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Bloke

Re: Edge retention, and steel variances knife to knife.

Post by Bloke »

Not too sure I can add much other than to say in the Short Term I can’t tell the difference in performance between S30V and S110V and agree that S30V seems to hold its initial sharpness better than S110V … the way I sharpen anyhow and how we sharpen will certainly impact edge retention. ;)

For what it’s worth my most used folder is an S30V Military and I’ve never found it lacking in any way for my needs with an edge straight off medium SharpMaker rods.

S30V seems to get bashed for some strange reason but I for one find it to be a very well balanced steel. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Generally, in my experience, the higher the carbide content, the longer the sharpness lasts.... whether fine or coarse edge holding.
Very different from what I commonly hear.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Are the knives sharpened the same, to the same angles, etc?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

I guess I just underestimated S30V. This is the first time ever using it. Maybe there’s just way to much hype surrounding super steels. And I too also believed from reading on the internet that S30V was just a industry standard steel at best. But really it seems to be more than enough for cutting things up.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

And I too also believed from reading on the internet that S30V was just a industry standard steel at best
S30V was one of the first true super steels . It hasn't gotten worse over the years. Still , unless you have edges set up the same way with the same measurements I'd guess much of the differences noted is from that.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

S30V is actually a great steel. If you're looking for that 'best all around steel for edc', there's a reason S30V is used in so many knives.

Steels like S110V offer something different. It has pluses and minuses. Some love it, some hate it. Razor edge holding, I would expect S110V to do a little better than S30V. Where S110V shines though is working edge retention, in particular coarse edge retention. It will cut cardboard and rope for days with a 600grit edge (because of high carbide volume) it will hold those little saw teeth. If you're looking for that high polish edge retention, maybe ZDP-189, K390, Maxamet, Rex-45, Hap-40.

As for the difference between the Millie and the PM2, could be the behind the edge thickness is different, edge geometry is different, the heat treat/hardness might be a little different between the 2 models. A combination of these factors...
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

S110V is very finicky from a freehand sharpening standpoint. Great steel to learn on. If you can sharpen s110v freehand to a very high sharpness at various grit finishes, you're probably capable of sharpening any knife. In my experience it doesn't hold an extremely fine edge very long. I sharpen it coarse and view it as a specialized stainless slicer. The working edge holding is phenomenal. If you're ever in a situation where you won't have an opportunity to sharpen your knife for a long time and just need it to keep cutting, it will. It won't hold hair whittling or even hair shaving sharpness for a long time, but once it gets to the point where it can no longer shave but still has some bite. It's like the energizer bunny at that sharpness. I really think s30v would suit 99% of knife owners better than s110v. But it's probably closer to 50/50 amongst the knife community. I'm not sure why s110v seems to lose that fine edge the way it does. And strangely, sometimes it will keep it like longer than usual. I haven't eliminated the possibility of me making a mistake in sharpening, but I've been sharpening for decades and have about 3 years of experience with this steel, so I'm pretty sure I have it down. Every sharpening is an experiment, just seemingly more so with s110v. S30V is an excellent blade steel. Being well rounded is obviously a great quality. It's just that being well rounded isn't exciting. The most well rounded soccer player won't have the most goals, the most well rounded fighter won't have the most KO's, the most well rounded automobile won't win the most races, etc. Us "knife" people usually have 1-2 qualities we really look for in a blade steel (which will vary from model to model) and s30v isn't outstanding in any column. But I think even those who refuse to buy models in s30v will still tell you it's a great steel.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?