Vancron Superclean

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero

Re: Vancron Superclean

Post by Deadboxhero »

Thanks for the kind words bro.

Yes, Vancron is very very expensive, not very available nor is it available in the right sizes to make knives out of.

So it's a miracle that you see this steel in a knife from a custom maker let alone any company.

The steel was so new, the protocol had to be built from nothing as Roman and me had purchased before they had finished a spec sheet. Which was fine since we were using for knife applications and wanted to acentuate Stability and Strength for knives rather than adhesive wear resistance for industrial parts.

The extreme cost is getting that much Nitrogen inside of a low Chromium steel with a special Nitriding process done to the powder after atomizing but before HIP.

The benifit is ~1um Carbide/Nitrides rather than 5-6um ranges.
So for edge freeks it's the steel of dreams
So great lengths were gone through to chase and suffer to make this dream a reality.

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:55 am
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:40 am
i would love to try vancron but not 500$ worth a try. as soon as spyderco releases it in a para 3 , manix 2 , or lil native or brouwer i will jump on it to try.
$500? That knife sold for $850! And that is more than fair IMO. Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship, built 100% with performance in mind, one of the best possible heat treats available on Earth, and an extremely exotic high performance blade steel. Great work BBB.

This may sound crazy, but if spyderco were to try out new high performance steels, I think the perfect Guinea pig would be the Police 4 LW platform. The nice long blade would complement steels such as 15v, Vancron SC, k294, s390, REX 86, REX 121, HAP72 (etc, etc, etc), most of which are high carbide/capable of high hardness for an exceptionally long lifetime of slicing ability. It's just like a longer, slightly more slender Endura, and the tip is also sort of in between that of the Endura and the military. Also since it's a LW model, the price wouldn't be too crazy, even for these exotic steels.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Vancron SC micrograph by Roman aka Kase Knives

-Turbo
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Holy crap is it expensive!!! I was going to buy a few pieces.
I may still but I'm going to have to order a much smaller amount.
O.o
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

bbturbodad wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:25 pm
Vancron SC micrograph by Roman aka Kase Knives

Looks dang near perfect
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:55 am
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:40 am
i would love to try vancron but not 500$ worth a try. as soon as spyderco releases it in a para 3 , manix 2 , or lil native or brouwer i will jump on it to try.
$500? That knife sold for $850! And that is more than fair IMO. Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship, built 100% with performance in mind, one of the best possible heat treats available on Earth, and an extremely exotic high performance blade steel. Great work BBB.

This may sound crazy, but if spyderco were to try out new high performance steels, I think the perfect Guinea pig would be the Police 4 LW platform. The nice long blade would complement steels such as 15v, Vancron SC, k294, s390, REX 86, REX 121, HAP72 (etc, etc, etc), most of which are high carbide/capable of high hardness for an exceptionally long lifetime of slicing ability. It's just like a longer, slightly more slender Endura, and the tip is also sort of in between that of the Endura and the military. Also since it's a LW model, the price wouldn't be too crazy, even for these exotic steels.
I like how you think :)
:unicorn
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Something fun you can do with a very high hardness
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives