Lil Native slipjoint as folding mule?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Evil D

Re: Lil Native slipjoint as folding mule?

Post by Evil D »

This seems like it won't be happening in any version now...?

Regardless, it's way too small for testing IMO. I wouldn't want anything smaller than a UKPK and that's even on the bottom end of what I'd be ok with. I do just simply prefer larger knives in general, but for actual testing of a steel I want to be able to use it hard and I want a sufficient amount of edge to work with.

There's also a whole slew of issues with a slipjoint mule in general. I've sat here and typed out about 5 paragraphs and can't really sum up what I want to say. I think the mule program is a lot more than "real world testing" because some peoples' idea of "real world" is cutting open a bag of chips and opening their mail. If you're going to TEST a steel and really see what it's capable of, you need to be able and willing to push that steel up to and beyond it's limits, and I just don't see a slipjoint as a good platform to do that with. A fixed blade eliminates all other variables, there's no pivot or lock to fail and it provides a much safer platform for testing.

I think the hard truth here is, if you're not willing to use a fixed blade, then maybe mule testing isn't for you and you should just wait to see if that mule steel makes it into production if you want it in a folder (and to be fair, I've never bought a mule so if I'm pointing fingers at anyone here, I'm pointing them at myself too).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Besides, Sal has already stated that the Golden plant is already backed up with what they already produce. I can't see them adding more to the mix. Production schedules are not as flexible as some seem to think they are.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I may have missed someone already mentioning it, but why not make folding mules on the UKPK platform, it sure is thoroughly tested by now.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

The Mule Team Project is perfect. Don't mess it up with all this thinking business. Test, collect, and create. 3 goals all satisfied within the project. I can't get my head into a folding knife kit, I can fashion scales and a sheath for a fixed blade. More folders will tip the equation away from testing and toward collecting. If sales were really stagnant then I would see more Mules for sale, seems like everything is sold except for Pd1. I'll bet Spy27 sells fast.

Feels like folder freaks fidgeting with the future of fixed blade fun found here. Fixed blade Mules forever!
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:53 am
I may have missed someone already mentioning it, but why not make folding mules on the UKPK platform, it sure is thoroughly tested by now.
Same issue, Golden does not have excess production capacity, it is all going to regular models and Sprints.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:14 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:53 am
Same issue, Golden does not have excess production capacity, it is all going to regular models and Sprints.
Yeah, there's that... :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would certainly be glad to see the Li'l Native slipjoint come to pass. As a mule it would be a good test for steels suitable for pocket knives. The UKPK would be good, as well. Folding knives in new steels fly off the shelves and fixed bladed mules sit.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:12 pm
I've been having fun with larger folders of late, but what exactly is it people think you CAN'T test with a small folder?

When I carry a knife I carry a folding knife.

I like thin knives as I tend to cut things with my knives more than use them as pry bars, hammers, screw drivers, or splitting wedges.

A beefy fixed blade isn't going to tell me much about how a particular steel will perform for me as an edc steel. Besides being the wrong size and thickness compared to what I actually carry, I can't carry a fixed blade where I live, so not really representative of my edc, and not practical as a test vehicle.

......So the Urban.

Can I test the ease of shapenability and the effects of different sharpening mediums? CHECK.

Can I experiment with different edge angles to see how the steel performs at thin edge geometries? CHECK.

Can I use the Urban for 99.9 of the EDC tasks I ever use a pocket knife for? Open boxes, break down carboard, cut rope, prep food, whittle?.... CHECK

What's stopping you from taking an anvil a rubber mallet and a nail and seeing if you can hammer the steel through a nail if that's your idea of testing? Or batoning it through some little branches?

Maybe different people have different needs, but I can test everything I need to test for an edc knife with an Urban. Ease of sharpening, different sharpening mediums, edge geometry, edge retention, corrosion resistance, edge toughness. And it's an inexpensive knife that can be carried just about anywhere knives can be carried. It will let me know whether or not I want to buy a more expensive knife with the same steel. :spyder:
Excellent post, and worth repeating.

Other than swinging and chopping with any significant force, I don’t see what you can not test with a short folding blade. Who chops with a 3.5 incher anyway ?

If anyone has a 2 inch folding blade they feel can’t be properly tested, I’ll be happy to oblige.