Lil Chokwe

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 17216
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Lil Chokwe

Postby JD Spydo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:00 pm

I'm kind of looking forward to this myself. However I would prefer a full sized Chokwe in some other steel besides S30V. A Chokwe in M390, M-4 or even S90V >> I believe all 3 of those would be perfect for that design IMO. Albeit I will still be interested in the Lil Chokwe if it has a good blade steel.

User avatar
Spydergirl88
Member
Posts: 5515
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: Lil Chokwe

Postby Spydergirl88 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:02 pm

I hope it is bd1n or s30v to keep the cost down
Team Wire Clip
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

User avatar
curlyhairedboy
Member
Posts: 1511
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:01 am
Location: Southern New England

Re: Lil Chokwe

Postby curlyhairedboy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:10 pm

I'd like either of those!
Spyderco Collection: Always in Flux...
Southard, PITS, Shaman, CF S90v Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, Spyderhawk H1, Squarehead LW, Smallfly G10, BD1N UKPK, Calendar Para 3 LW, CRUCARTA Shaman, Hawkbill Dragonfly 2 H1, Lil Native
40th Anniversary Native
Would like to own again: Sheepsfoot Caribbean
Wishlist: Kapara, Lil Chokwe, Tanto PM2, Sage 5 LW, Shaman Sprints!

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 17216
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Lil Chokwe

Postby JD Spydo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:52 pm

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:02 pm
I hope it is bd1n or s30v to keep the cost down
I understand that reasoning. But when ever has one of these elaborate Sprint Runs been depressed of sales because of blade steel?

Or at least have one in S30V and one in a Supersteel?

I guess I'm getting to be kind of a "Steel Snob" in a way>> but after being spoiled on M390, S110V , XHP and about 6 others I could name it's hard for me to go back to the horse and buggy days of S30V so to speak. I would only buy an S30V or even a VG-10 blade in full SE now a days unless it would be a really obscure collectible>> but that's just me :D

User avatar
Spydergirl88
Member
Posts: 5515
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: Lil Chokwe

Postby Spydergirl88 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:08 pm

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:52 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:02 pm
I hope it is bd1n or s30v to keep the cost down
I understand that reasoning. But when ever has one of these elaborate Sprint Runs been depressed of sales because of blade steel?

Or at least have one in S30V and one in a Supersteel?

I guess I'm getting to be kind of a "Steel Snob" in a way>> but after being spoiled on M390, S110V , XHP and about 6 others I could name it's hard for me to go back to the horse and buggy days of S30V so to speak. I would only buy an S30V or even a VG-10 blade in full SE now a days unless it would be a really obscure collectible>> but that's just me :D
Taichung usually doesn't roll out the super steels like Golden or Seki tho
Team Wire Clip
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

SF Native
Member
Posts: 1391
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:25 am
Location: Fairfax, Ca

Re: Lil Chokwe

Postby SF Native » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:18 pm

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:08 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:52 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:02 pm
I hope it is bd1n or s30v to keep the cost down
I understand that reasoning. But when ever has one of these elaborate Sprint Runs been depressed of sales because of blade steel?

Or at least have one in S30V and one in a Supersteel?

I guess I'm getting to be kind of a "Steel Snob" in a way>> but after being spoiled on M390, S110V , XHP and about 6 others I could name it's hard for me to go back to the horse and buggy days of S30V so to speak. I would only buy an S30V or even a VG-10 blade in full SE now a days unless it would be a really obscure collectible>> but that's just me :D
Taichung usually doesn't roll out the super steels like Golden or Seki tho
They got xhp though. Like the domino or chap. That would be my choice.

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 4851
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: Lil Chokwe

Postby ZrowsN1s » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:30 am

Is this confirmed Taichung production?
Carrying 3 knives is perfectly normal :D
-Matt

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 12299
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Lil Chokwe

Postby sal » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:55 pm

Hi Zrows,

More than likely. They made the proto I've been carrying.

sal

User avatar
Mushroom
Member
Posts: 1779
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:45 pm
Location: Boston, Ma. U.S.A. Earth

Re: Lil Chokwe

Postby Mushroom » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:31 pm

Will this be a regular production model or a Flash Batch?

We've had the Lil Lum which was regular production and the Lil Nilakka which was a flash batch. I'm a big fan of the Flash Batch concept, I'd love seeing this one join that list.
- Nick

:spyder:

nicked.onaut
Member
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:47 am

Re: Lil Chokwe

Postby nicked.onaut » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:59 pm

The Lil Chokwe will be a dandy complement to the regular size version for those all-too-common times where blade length restrictions are encountered.

One of my reg-sized CWs has lost some length over the years due to frequent use and sharpening--but not that much as above ;-) (it is kind of beat to heck). This is another Spyderco where eyeball assessment is discordant with experience holding and using. It fits the hand naturally and easily with a variety of grips.

I hope the Lil CW is XHP, but I'll be fine with whatever steel is chosen.
Thanks, Sal.

Here's a few comparison pics with some other oldies-but-goodies for refreshment:

Image

Image

Image

kind regards,
a n.on

User avatar
Spydergirl88
Member
Posts: 5515
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: Lil Chokwe

Postby Spydergirl88 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:01 pm

I hope the Lil Chokwe keeps the finger choil and jimping of the original
Team Wire Clip
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 3443
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: Lil Chokwe

Postby TomAiello » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:08 pm

nicked.onaut wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:59 pm
I hope the Lil CW is XHP, but I'll be fine with whatever steel is chosen.
XHP would be amazing. And we've seen Taichung models in XHP, so it's not out of the question.

User avatar
Mushroom
Member
Posts: 1779
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:45 pm
Location: Boston, Ma. U.S.A. Earth

Re: Lil Chokwe

Postby Mushroom » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:25 pm

Apparently this is going to have carbon fiber scales. So far we know it will have about a 3.25" blade, a compression lock, a wire clip, and carbon fiber scales.

One of the few things we don't know yet is steel, but we can be sure it will be a "stainless steel, not too hard to sharpen and takes and holds a good edge." :D
sal wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:15 pm
... We probably would not use S90V coming out of the Chute. S90V is a steel junky's material and we need to try to reach a more general market. Considerations might include, CTS-BD1N, LC200, CPM-S30V, CPM-154, etc. A stainless steel, not too hard to sharpen, takes and holds a good edge.

...

sal


More info can be found in Sal's original thread - here. "Smaller Chokwe"
- Nick

:spyder:

User avatar
captnvegtble
Member
Posts: 903
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Lil Chokwe

Postby captnvegtble » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:37 pm

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:55 pm
Hi Zrows,

More than likely. They made the proto I've been carrying.

sal
Thaichung produces some great quality knives and the first Chokwe was/is a phenomenal knife. One of the things that keeps me from carrying it more is the weak detent... it opened in my pocket once (tip up carry). I would just ask/suggest that the detent on the Lil' Chokwe be made a bit stronger.

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 4851
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: Lil Chokwe

Postby ZrowsN1s » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:26 pm

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:55 pm
Hi Zrows,

More than likely. They made the proto I've been carrying.

sal
Thanks for the info Sal :D
Carrying 3 knives is perfectly normal :D
-Matt

User avatar
curlyhairedboy
Member
Posts: 1511
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:01 am
Location: Southern New England

Re: Lil Chokwe

Postby curlyhairedboy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:32 pm

Hope it's coming soon!
Spyderco Collection: Always in Flux...
Southard, PITS, Shaman, CF S90v Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, Spyderhawk H1, Squarehead LW, Smallfly G10, BD1N UKPK, Calendar Para 3 LW, CRUCARTA Shaman, Hawkbill Dragonfly 2 H1, Lil Native
40th Anniversary Native
Would like to own again: Sheepsfoot Caribbean
Wishlist: Kapara, Lil Chokwe, Tanto PM2, Sage 5 LW, Shaman Sprints!

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 12299
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Lil Chokwe

Postby sal » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:47 pm

It's quite interesting in that's the design is quite ergonomic for what I call a "stick handle". The simplicity is extraordinary.

sal

User avatar
5-by-5
Member
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:12 pm
Location: Puget Sound

Re: Lil Chokwe

Postby 5-by-5 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:52 am

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:47 pm
It's quite interesting in that's the design is quite ergonomic for what I call a "stick handle". The simplicity is extraordinary.

sal
Yeah. The original is very comfortable to use. Great knife.

clovisc
Member
Posts: 4159
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:14 am
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska

Re: Lil Chokwe

Postby clovisc » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:22 am

Very excited that this is still in the works!!!

User avatar
Spydergirl88
Member
Posts: 5515
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: Lil Chokwe

Postby Spydergirl88 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:57 pm

👀
Team Wire Clip
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], blues, crow2071, Dazen, DTPrime, Enactive, Google [Bot], JuPaul, kerrcobra, Majestic-12 [Bot], Modernflame, MSN [Bot], p_atrick, prndltech, pushcut, sabb8pro2, selrahc, Tims, wrdwrght and 20 guests