Spyder Flick or Thumb Flick

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Spyder Flick
19%
Thumb Flick
23%
Both Spyder and Thumb
45%
Other
13%

Total votes: 64

Dazen

Post by Dazen »

On knives that you can flick open what Is your preferred method of doing so?

As fun as I think Spyder Flicking a knife is I tend to Thumb Flick when I need to use my knives because it involves less readjusting of my grip before use.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Pelagic

Re: Spyder Flick or Thumb Flick

Post by Pelagic »

I can't thumb flick. I come close to cutting myself wide open any time I try. I usually open with my thumb normally.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

no flick
:unicorn
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I voted both, which is what I did when I had a PM2. But on my Sage 2, I find it easier to Spyder flick. I rarely do that though. I mostly just roll it open with my thumb. It is so satisfyingly smooth that all other opening methods miss one of my favorite parts of that knife.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Spyder? Thumb? I can do both but usually don’t do either. I rather like watching the blade unfold with a slow thumb press. Voted Other.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i even spydieflick my knives with thumb studs now. once i got used to it, i found it a lot easier than the thumb flick.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Tims

Post by Tims »

I’ve got a couple of models I beat on and they get flicked, thumbs n fingers. On everything else I try and have some mechanical sympathy and prefer a slow roll out which I find more enjoyable anyway. Especially with backlocks.
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

I open them normally with my thumb. No flick.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I just open them, no flick no over theatrical movement just open.
Probably 6-7 times out of 10 I close them two handed also... :eek:

I am in my late forties but..... :D
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I do both or neither for most lockbacks. Spydie flick is more for fun because it requires a slight grip adjustment.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I finger flick my Spydies (all lockbacks by the way, except one PM2) all the time. Mostly with the thumb, but quite frequently also with index, middle, ring finger. I just like to do that more than to open them slowly, despite there is not rational reasoning for that...
Only my Chaparral LW gets almost always only thumb flicked, the very light blade makes it harder to flick it with other fingers.

I rarely do a Spydieflick for OPENING the knife... but quite often sort of an "reverse Spydieflick" to CLOSE my lockbacks... (pinch the Spydiehole with two fingers after the lock is released, then flick the handle upwards towards the blade in the closed position).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

The Spyder flick is one thing that keeps me from fully commiting to front flippers and lip flippers. The hole is such an incredibly versatile feature, but the fact Spyderco has taken the time to find a standard position and distance for optimal mechanical advantage (for average hand sizes, anyhow) makes it that much better.

My best flickers are Golden-made compression lock models. Back locks I tend to slow-open.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

both thumb and spyder flick work well for me! The Shaman is very well suited in my hands for both methods. Faster than flippers and autos for sure!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
jdw

Post by jdw »

Redman5006 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:45 pm
I open them normally with my thumb. No flick.
^^This^^^
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

It depends on the knife. I Spydie flick or thumb flick the PM2, Para3, Manix 2, etc. Anything with a back lock like the DF2, Chap, or Pacific Salt I just thumb open, no flick. On the DF2 and Pacific Salt, I do flick them shut sometimes.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don’t normally flick them. When I do flick I find thumb flicking more natural.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

standy99 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:13 am
I just open them, no flick no over theatrical movement just open.
Probably 6-7 times out of 10 I close them two handed also... :eek:

I am in my late forties but..... :D
Ha, sometimes I even open my Spydies two handed. :eek: :D

Old habits die hard. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
makawakaroni

Post by makawakaroni »

It depends on the knife. On my Para 3 (maxamet), flicking with my index finger is the most comfortable for me. On my old SS Police everything works equally, but use my index finger mostly.
My ZDP Stretch needs some lovin', since it is a little rough, can only open it with my thumb. Flicking does not result in full deployment. A good cleaning and lubing should take care of it tho. :)
Last edited by makawakaroni on Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pickmansmodel82

Post by Pickmansmodel82 »

Depends on the knife/lock. Usually do the slow thumb roll on backlocks, but flick on liner/cbb locks. For the comp lock usually a quick press and flick the wrist for quick deployment.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I often middle-finger flick my pm2s and para3s; backlock models I slow roll with thumb in the hole. I tried to spydie flick my salt 2 and it takes enough force I’m afraid I’m going to throw the knife so I quit. The small lw backlocks worry me too so I slow thumb roll them as well. The old stainless Worker spydie-flicked perfectly, and the para3 does as well. The Urban is tight enough I sometimes use 2 hands with it, especially to close it.