What color would you say the WaveFly is?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

What color would you say the WaveFly is?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

A bit of fun here, not really a serious issue. Just thought it would be a good discussion :D

I was just watching a Spyderco Vid talking about the Emerson Dragonfly aka WaveFly. I won't say what they said the color of the FRN was, but I will say I disagree.

So without knowing what Spyderco says the color is, what would you say the color of this FRN is? :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Notsurewhy

Re: What color would you say the WaveFly is?

Post by Notsurewhy »

Looks deep green in that pic. Looks dark blue or steel grey in other pictures I've seen. I haven't seen one in person yet, but it's probably so close to black only owners will know the difference.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Yeah I’d have a hard time picking an answer, but seems almost black, maybe “dark slate”? It has some blue to it though.
Notsurewhy’s username could work as an answer ;)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Dark slate looks right on my screen.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I thought it was a dark navy blue.
-Nick :bug-red
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey Matt, from what I’m seeing on the screen I’d say it’s Navy Blue, quite a nice colour for knife scales. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Whoa, big difference from the official YT video.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 4.43.25 PM.png
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

p_atrick wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:43 pm
Whoa, big difference from the official YT video.
Definitely looks different on your screen than mine. That looks closer to the color they say it is... grey. :D

Doesn't look like that to me in person. In person I'd say navy blue/green. In pictures it just looks black. Unless you get the light just right.

Thats the 'British Racing Green' zdp next to it. Lulz that looks black too.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'd say mine's a dark blue-gray.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

araneae wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:31 pm
I'd say mine's a dark blue-gray.
Id agree with that.

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I have one, and I think it looks like a dark slate blue. In good light it's definitely not the same as the British racing green.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Looks almost black but with a touch or blue or green. Either way it’s a pretty cool looking knife!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:39 pm
So without knowing what Spyderco says the color is, what would you say the color of this FRN is? :D

Just for fun, I looked at it on 3 different monitors. Dark blue on one, dark green on one, dark blueish green or greenish blue on the third. Not sure if it's still the case, but about 15 years ago I read that one of the major reasons given by people returning clothing purchased online was "wrong color, not the same as shown online".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:46 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:

Just for fun, I looked at it on 3 different monitors. Dark blue on one, dark green on one, dark blueish green or greenish blue on the third. Not sure if it's still the case, but about 15 years ago I read that one of the major reasons given by people returning clothing purchased online was "wrong color, not the same as shown online".

Which really just translates to "it wasn't the same color my monitor showed it as". I've experienced this myself, I have a fairly fancy monitor and it really does make colors pop.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

From the Knife Center website: "Spyderco calls this a dark gray FRN handle but the actual appearance is more of a dark blue." I've seen KC do this with other questionably-colored spydie models, too, and I very much appreciate it!
- Julia

Joey

Post by Joey »

Dang, this must be disastrous for the clothing industry. I didn’t consider this being a problem. You’re right though, it looks so close to the British racing green.

I experienced this with Kizer and their “blue” sheepdog. To me, every time I see it online it looks almost “smurf blue” which looks great, IMO. When I got the knife in my mail, i was shocked to find it looks much closer to lavender. Which is essentially purple, which is not exactly blue. I’d accept “navy blue” if I ordered “smurf blue” or vice versa, but I’m surprised when they completely change the color on me.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:25 am
The Deacon wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:

Which really just translates to "it wasn't the same color my monitor showed it as". I've experienced this myself, I have a fairly fancy monitor and it really does make colors pop.
Yep. There are ways to correct for accurate color on most monitors/TVs but almost no one does it. I know I don't. Too lazy.

Also with the prevalence of hdr and filters, even a properly set up monitor will not necessarily show you what something really looks like.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:25 am
The Deacon wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:

Yep. Definitely can't go by the what you see in pictures these days.

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:44 am
From the Knife Center website: "Spyderco calls this a dark gray FRN handle but the actual appearance is more of a dark blue." I've seen KC do this with other questionably-colored spydie models, too, and I very much appreciate it!
:D while S110V handles do look 'midnight blue' in the right light, I think blurple is a much better description. Thats one of my favorite g-10 colors though.

I hope spyderco knows this is all in good fun. I'm sure it's challenging naming that many different colors (they have a lot of knives and some unique colors). I mean we were just discussing Teal vs. Turquoise in another thread :D

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:33 am
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:44 am
:D while S110V handles do look 'midnight blue' in the right light, I think blurple is a much better description. Thats one of my favorite g-10 colors though.

I hope spyderco knows this is all in good fun. I'm sure it's challenging naming that many different colors (they have a lot of knives and some unique colors). I mean we were just discussing Teal vs. Turquoise in another thread :D
Absolutely all good-natured kidding! And in any case, I like both the Tealquoise and the Blay colors, and I REALLY like that spyderco offers them. :p
- Julia