Videos of your Spydercos in use

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Videos of your Spydercos in use

Post by vivi »

I would like this thread to be filled with videos of you using your different Spydercos.

I'll start us off with dicing an onion with my EDC, a serrated Pacific Salt:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=wqFt-OxUAQs

Next I test out the sharpness on a post it note:

https://youtu.be/YunJ8upmRg0

I look foreword to seeing what everyone else shares!
:unicorn
Jazz

Re: Videos of your Spydercos in use

Post by Jazz »

Nice. Love that knife, and great idea, bro.

https://youtu.be/Sczu0kXNswQ

https://youtu.be/OFsLeBGrvPQ

https://youtu.be/Vsd-o6BbY48

https://youtu.be/2-3GTIJo1Gc

https://youtu.be/qo5AZNQd748

https://youtu.be/qgUn1xWYPAQ
- best wishes, Jazz.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Man... since I don' have (and don't want to have) a youtube channel, I guess I'll finally have to figure out that "streamable" - thing... (someone's still waiting for high-speed backlock closing vids anyway... :D )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:46 am
Man... since I don' have (and don't want to have) a youtube channel, I guess I'll finally have to figure out that "streamable" - thing... (someone's still waiting for high-speed backlock closing vids anyway... :D )
The last time I tried to use streamable, it informed me that my IP address had been banned from using the site. Which is strange, as the only time I used it was to post a short video of using a sharpening rod to sharpen a kitchen knife.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Jazz, I'm a big fan of the wharncliffe on a cutting board video. I've used wharncliffes for years and you showed how they'll do the job just fine. I also like that manbug video :)
Pelagic wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:18 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:46 am
The last time I tried to use streamable, it informed me that my IP address had been banned from using the site. Which is strange, as the only time I used it was to post a short video of using a sharpening rod to sharpen a kitchen knife.
Strange. There are other sites you can use, like www.sendvid.com
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:15 am
Jazz, I'm a big fan of the wharncliffe on a cutting board video. I've used wharncliffes for years and you showed how they'll do the job just fine. I also like that manbug video :)

Thank you sir. This might sound dumb, but I like that you know how to cut an onion properly. :cool: I can tell you’ve done it before. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Jazz, I just love that first video you posted. It really makes me think about how I discount the "humble" Delica with "only" VG-10 as the steel.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Jazz-

After watching your Manbug Salt video I realized how dull mine had become so I got out my fine sharpmaker rod (the only triangle rod I have) and sharpened it using the technique you showed with the stone laying horizontally and it was so much easier to maintain the angle than holding the rod in one hand and the knife in the other the way I used to do it. It went so fast that by the time I checked for a burr it was huge and took some effort to remove. I then stopped on the edge of a piece of balsa wood with 2u diamond spray. It's now by far the sharpest I've ever had it.

I might have to add a lanyard now too.

Thanks for sharing!
-Turbo
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I love seeing Spydercos in action, especially in the hands of skilled users. I never get tired of these videos, and I usually learn a few cutting tips too. Great thread!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

bbturbodad wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:38 am
Jazz-

After watching your Manbug Salt video I realized how dull mine had become so I got out my fine sharpmaker rod (the only triangle rod I have) and sharpened it using the technique you showed with the stone laying horizontally and it was so much easier to maintain the angle than holding the rod in one hand and the knife in the other the way I used to do it. It went so fast that by the time I checked for a burr it was huge and took some effort to remove. I then stopped on the edge of a piece of balsa wood with 2u diamond spray. It's now by far the sharpest I've ever had it.

Thanks for sharing!

I’m glad it worked so well. I just rock it gently until I feel the edge is in full contact. Works for me anyway. I find the fob on small knives so useful.

I love to watch vids where people are actually cutting and using knives, not just twirling them about, flicking, and yapping incessantly. Don’t even get me started on half a video of box opening. What In blue blazes is that?

Anyway, great idea, Vivi. I hope some others post some.
- best wishes, Jazz.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Jazz wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:51 pm
bbturbodad wrote:
Jazz-

Thanks for sharing!

I’m glad it worked so well. I just rock it gently until I feel the edge is in full contact. Works for me anyway. I find the fob on small knives so useful.

I love to watch vids where people are actually cutting and using knives, not just twirling them about, flicking, and yapping incessantly. Don’t even get me started on half a video of box opening. What In blue blazes is that?

Anyway, great idea, Vivi. I hope some others post some.
I agree. I hate the 15-20 minute "review" videos where nothing is cut, no grips are shown, and the reviewer hasn't even sharpened the knife before.

I'll see about posting another later. I have a different Pacific Salt on me today with a different edge configuration.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:01 pm
Jazz wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:51 pm
bbturbodad wrote:
I agree. I hate the 15-20 minute "review" videos where nothing is cut, no grips are shown, and the reviewer hasn't even sharpened the knife before.

I'll see about posting another later. I have a different Pacific Salt on me today with a different edge configuration.

Most knife-reviews are nothing more than (still only) first impression vids imho. Not to say those are totally worthless, but far from being a review in the true sense of the word.
A real review should be based on extensively using whatever thing in tasks it was made for. So speaking of knives: Just cutting a lot of different stuff in different scenarios and over longer periods of time.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

This Pacific Salt had a real beat up edge when I got it. I replaced the clip, reground the tip, reprofiled the edge to 15 degrees with diamond rods, then put a 20 degree microbevel on it with the brown rods.

It's not quite as sharp as my black one, but it cuts good enough for an EDC.

https://youtu.be/81on4Hj_Mls

See this is why I need a Pacific Salt XL :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi, I am afraid this is not really what you had in mind when starting this thread.

But since the three clips below are not only the first Spyder-vids I took (initially for another thread), but actually the first vids I made EVER generally (except one test vid of just the wall), I may post them here... ;)

So these are just three ways to close a backlock one handed, without having the fingers in the blade path. On each video initially one time done very slow, than to times how I do it normally. I know, these are bad shots, had no time when I did them, and did only one single take of each closing method.

One method of the three you already did show, I hope for a few out there the vids are still somewhat helpfull.

https://streamable.com/myzlt

https://streamable.com/bhhzs

https://streamable.com/j7fjd
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

That second vid/way is new to me. Pretty cool Warstein.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:37 am
That second vid/way is new to me. Pretty cool Warstein.
Then it was already worth it posting the vids... :)
I call this the "reverse Spydie flick (drop)" ;)

Somehow it's a concern of mine to kill the silly "backlocks are slow and awkward" myth, which quite many seem to believe without giving this great lock a chance (and also KNIVES that come with a backlock)
PStone

Post by PStone »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:13 am
Thanks for posting these! I have been using #2 method sometimes after your description of it in the other BL vs Comp thread a couple weeks ago. I’m not as fast as you seem to be though.....yet ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:52 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:13 am
... I’m not as fast as you seem to be though.....yet ;)
You'll get there and SOON, believe me. I am only averagly talented when it comes to motor(ic??) skills and all I can do with a backlock comes just from using backlock knives frequently. Tbh, I could do it even faster as in the vid, but don't want to start some kind of contest once more, which I foolishly, but totally unintended did in another thread I started...