Centofante love?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ATC729

Re: Centofante love?

Post by ATC729 »

I'm sitting here with a Centofante in my cart, and I had a thought. Why not just get fancy scales for my Delica? If the Centofante is similar to a Delica, I feel like I could just dress mine up a bit. I'm probably the most indecisive person on the planet! Haha. I like the look of the Centofante, but that hollow grind probably won't do as well on my apple. So with all of that being said, does anyone know where I can get some "gentleman"/fancy scales for a Delica?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ATC729 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:31 pm
I'm sitting here with a Centofante in my cart, and I had a thought. Why not just get fancy scales for my Delica? If the Centofante is similar to a Delica, I feel like I could just dress mine up a bit. I'm probably the most indecisive person on the planet! Haha. I like the look of the Centofante, but that hollow grind probably won't do as well on my apple. So with all of that being said, does anyone know where I can get some "gentleman"/fancy scales for a Delica?
Don't know much about custom scales, but I DO know that the Centofante is NOT really "similar to a Delica"... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ATC729

Post by ATC729 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:38 pm
ATC729 wrote:
Don't know much about custom scales, but I DO know that the Centofante is NOT really "similar to a Delica"... ;)

Too many different things to consider. Hahaha
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ATC729 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:51 pm
Wartstein wrote:
ATC729 wrote:

Maybe true. Still I'd rather have a Delica with perfect FRN scales AND a Centofante than JUST a fancy Delica... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ATC729

Post by ATC729 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:53 pm
ATC729 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:51 pm
Wartstein wrote:
ATC729 wrote:

Maybe true. Still I'd rather have a Delica with perfect FRN scales AND a Centofante than JUST a fancy Delica... ;)
Hahaha. A bunch of enablers on here! Yeah, I'm sure I will end up with both. Looks like I have so more researching to do and we'll see what I get first. :)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Wartstein wrote:
ATC729 wrote:
The Centofante has noticeably more cutting edge than the Delica. It is also classy looking while I find the Delica to be simply utilitarian in appearance. Both look good but in different ways.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:06 pm
Wartstein wrote:
ATC729 wrote:
The Centofante has noticeably more cutting edge than the Delica. It is also classy looking while I find the Delica to be simply utilitarian in appearance. Both look good but in different ways.
Exactly. Plus, while I really like the Delica handle, the Centofante will fit more hands... plus the different grinds... plus two liners vs one-ish... Plus Ricasso vs no Ricasso... plus FRN pattern vs almost lack thereoff...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ATC729 wrote:

Definitely one of those "your mileage may vary" situations but there's a lot more to like about a Centofante than just being classier than a Delica, namely far better ergonomics and no wasted edge length taken up by the tang kick. If they brought out a new version of the Centofante 3 with two liners and 4 way clip I would be fine if they never made another Delica ever again. But again, YMMV lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Hollow grind + 2mm stock = best cheese knife ever. Crack open a beverage of your choice and get after a block of cheddar or gruyere with a centofante, then thank me later.

I also think it's the best looking Spydie under $200. Rafir Noble chap is its only competition.

Pinned connection is it's only major drawback.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

OP, I was looking for an apple knife too for my lunchbox. I found a guy on BushcraftUSA who makes kydex sheaths for the 3-1/4” and 4” Victorinox paring knives. Perfect apple knife! I got the 4” Vicky. So go get in of those and order a Centofante! I myself am attracted to the wharnie version. A CQI update with screw construction, liners, and cf or micarta scales in cruwear would be outstanding!
ATC729

Post by ATC729 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:04 pm
OP, I was looking for an apple knife too for my lunchbox. I found a guy on BushcraftUSA who makes kydex sheaths for the 3-1/4” and 4” Victorinox paring knives. Perfect apple knife! I got the 4” Vicky. So go get in of those and order a Centofante! I myself am attracted to the wharnie version. A CQI update with screw construction, liners, and cf or micarta scales in cruwear would be outstanding!
I highly agree that micarta would be AWESOME!
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Marbled CF would be amazing with this knife!
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I wish to GOD that we could get the older Centofante C-50 model back. But Spyderco told me about 3 years ago that all of the tooling was destroyed some time ago. The C-50 and the C-25 both were great EDC work knives. That design was very close to the Phil Boguszewski "Spike" models.

I never was a big fan of the Starmate>> but it seems like about 90% of the people here really love that one.