One hand opening

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

One hand opening

Post by Doc Dan »

One hand opening is something that we often take for granted in these modern times. It wasn’t always this way. We used to have to find creative ways to open a knife with only one hand. Sometimes we had to use our teeth sometimes we had to grab the blade and then brush it against our bluejeans. And some companies made a knife where the end of the blade had a cut out where you would hook it on your pants or on the table.

one hand opening is a real lifesaver. Sal needs to get a humanitarian award for introducing this concept to the wider market ON HIS KNIVES. When you lose the use of one hand you really become appreciative of something so simple as a hole in the blade that you can use to open a knife with one hand. Thank you Sal Glesser.

There are many reasons why people lose the use of one hand and it doesn’t have to be due to an accident. Or injury. Perhaps you’re working in a confined space and needing to hold something with the other hand. Perhaps you’re trapped in a vehicle after a car wreck and need to cut your way out and you cannot for some reason use both hands. Maybe you’re hanging insulation I need to use one hand to hold up the insulation and one hand to open your knife. Maybe you’re trying to free an owl trapped in a net or whale trapped in fishing line. There are many reasons why we need wine and opening lives that make practical sense in our day-to-day existence.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Re: One hand opening

Post by vivi »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:29 pm
There are many reasons why we need wine
Sage advice, brother :D
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Isn´t there a story out there, that a diver who got caught with one hand in some wire under water could free himself with a serrated (of course one hand opening) Spyderco? By cutting / tearing apart the wire with the serrations? I´ve read something like this and that it made Spyderco better known...

Could be a "urban" (or "divers"...) legend though...

/ Many SAK models come in two version, for one with a nail nick two hand opening blade, or with a one handed opening hole blade. If you own both versions it gets clear immidiately how superior the latter solution is... how often you just pick up whatever stuff with one hand, want to cut it with the knife in your other hand, and can or can´t depending on which version you carry... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

I agree that one hand opening is an important feature. While I EDC two SAKs every day, I have had instances where one hand opening a knife blade was essential, which is why I also always carry a Spyderco or other one-hander. If I'm honest, most of the time in my day, two-hand opening is fine, but when you do actually need one-hand opening, you REALLY need it.

I remember when I saw the 1997 Titanic movie, there were shots of men opening their jackknives with their teeth. I'm sure people did that often when needing their knife open when their hands were busy, or maybe if their fingers were too wet and cold to use the nail nick to open a stiff-springed pocketknife. I'm betting that anyone who used their teeth like that enough eventually chipped/jacked-up or lost their incisors, at a time when bad teeth were already pretty common.

I'm actually surprised that efficient manual, one-hand opening wasn't invented sooner. But I'm glad it wasn't. Because if it were invented in, say, the 1920s to the '50s, manual one-handlers very well might have been associated with thugs and outlawed in the same way that switchblades were outlawed (or severely restricted) back in the late '50s.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:33 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:29 pm
There are many reasons why we need wine
Sage advice, brother :D
Hahahaha! Sage advice indeed, brought to you by iPad. This thing does not interpret what I say very well. :D If it had been me and not the iPad I would’ve been more likely to say Wild Turkey 101.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:25 pm
I agree that one hand opening is an important feature. While I EDC two SAKs every day, I have had instances where one hand opening a knife blade was essential, which is why I also always carry a Spyderco or other one-hander.
I am sure you are aware of that many SAKs also come in a one handed opening version (for the main blade) ?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:30 pm
James Y wrote:
I agree that one hand opening is an important feature. While I EDC two SAKs every day, I have had instances where one hand opening a knife blade was essential, which is why I also always carry a Spyderco or other one-hander.
I am sure you are aware of that many SAKs also come in a one handed opening version (for the main blade) ?
Yes, I own a one-handed Soldier model, but don't carry it often. I prefer to carry the same two Victorinox SAKs I always carry (an Executive, and either my Spartan or Alox Pioneer). Those combined with a Spyderco (or CRK) clipped to my pocket are the sweet spot for me.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:51 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:30 pm
James Y wrote:
Yes, I own a one-handed Soldier model, but don't carry it often. I prefer to carry the same two Victorinox SAKs I always carry (an Executive, and either my Spartan or Alox Pioneer). Those combined with a Spyderco (or CRK) clipped to my pocket are the sweet spot for me.

Jim
Right, combined with a Spydie there is no need for a one hand opening blade on the SAK. And as far as I am aware of: The small, handy SAKs don´t only come with nailnicks anyway...
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

weak hand manipulation during an injury.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Even in the 80s this was the first thing I tested on a knife. Where I grew up, a mate on a charter boat wrapped the leader around his hand incorrectly and a blue marlin pulled him in instantly never to be seen again. Had he had a spyderco clipped to his pocket, he could've cut that leader before he got 20 feet down. I've never owned a knife I couldn't open one handed.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:52 am
Even in the 80s this was the first thing I tested on a knife. Where I grew up, a mate on a charter boat wrapped the leader around his hand incorrectly and a blue marlin pulled him in instantly never to be seen again. Had he had a spyderco clipped to his pocket, he could've cut that leader before he got 20 feet down. I've never owned a knife I couldn't open one handed.
A good lesson to be learned from this. I personally don’t care if The knife is flickable or not. Flicking a knife in an emergency, when you might only have time for one attempt, is foolish, as far a I am concerned. What I care about is whether or not I can easily manipulate the knife to open it one-handed and do it securely and correct every time.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

I think it's safe to say we're all on the same page with the simple, yet so amazingly brilliant Spyder hole.
It is the reason I love and carry spydercos.

Same reason I put big ole' hand loops on the zippers of most of the things I own. When my fingers are useless and my hands are more or less stumps, those big hand loops always work and I can get to whatever it is that I need to, or take out, or stow, etc...

Yes - one hand opening is a must, and Spyderco does it best with their Spydie hole. Thank you Sal and Spyderco.
Job Very Well Done.

I've had hands and/or finger tips to cold and useless to operate a thumb stud, or axis type lock, or nail nick more than once.
But that big ole' Spydie hole works EVERY TIME, ALWAYS, without any difficulty or thought... it just flat out works. When the chips are down and you don't have the time or ability to think or worry about it - it works.

u.w.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

u.w. wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:44 am
I've had hands and/or finger tips to cold and useless to operate a thumb stud, or axis type lock, or nail nick more than once.
But that big ole' Spydie hole works EVERY TIME, ALWAYS, without any difficulty or thought... it just flat out works. When the chips are down and you don't have the time or ability to think or worry about it - it works.
+1
And the wider the Spydie hole, the better!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I owned and used a lot of knives when I was younger but pocket clips and one handed opening are what got me to carry them daily and not just as tools on occasion. I never cared for having them loose in my pocket.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Have got a few guys at work into Spydercos lately and have been saying to them for years.

“Only thing easier to open than a Spyderco is a fixed blade” ;)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Earlier this year, I had surgery on my dominant hand and couldn't use it for a few weeks. It was very clear to me how important ambidextrous one hand opening AND closing is for my knives. At the time, I was mainly carrying a Benchmade Mini Freek, Byrd Rescue 2, and a Vic Camper. It was fun trying to figure out how open the SAK with only my non dominant hand :) The Byrd's backlock and hole opener made it the most convenient, and the axis lock wasn't bad either.

This was maybe a couple weeks after my stitches were removed.

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:00 am
Earlier this year, I had surgery on my dominant hand and couldn't use it for a few weeks. It was very clear to me how important ambidextrous one hand opening AND closing is for my knives. At the time, I was mainly carrying a Benchmade Mini Freek, Byrd Rescue 2, and a Vic Camper. It was fun trying to figure out how open the SAK with only my non dominant hand :) The Byrd's backlock and hole opener made it the most convenient, and the axis lock wasn't bad either.

This was maybe a couple weeks after my stitches were removed.

I have use of one arm and hand now so I understand perfectly. A one hand opening Spyderco is without peer in this situation.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050