Prospects for more Manix 2 backlocks?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Prospects for more Manix 2 backlocks?

Post by JuPaul »

Anyone know if the Manix 2 backlock model has been a good seller? Know of plans to expand on that model? I'd really, really love to have one of these in non-black. The s30v in g10 would be just fine with me, or a lw version even better.

For anyone who was following the "how to get women into spydercos" thread, this question definitely relates. The Manix 2 is one larger folder that I love in all ways but one: the ball bearing lock is really awkward for me to reach and disengage with my smaller (and ok, weaker) hands. As it is, I kinda have to choke up and wrap three of my fingers around the handle to get a good purchase on it, leaving my fingers right in the line of the blade as it falls closed. So to be safe, I have to disengage it upside down and push it closed on my thigh. Not ideal.

So I'm wondering if Spyderco will throw us women a bone and make more of the backlocks (in colors, as we like). :p
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SG89

Re: Prospects for more Manix 2 backlocks?

Post by SG89 »

Get the Native Chief and never look back :) Thinner blade stock, narrower handle, surprisingly women's pants pocket-friendly especially with a deep carry clip. IMO the Native Chief is better than the Manix2 backlock and I've owned both. I'm a woman with small hands FYI. Hopefully they sprint/exclusive the Native Chief.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

It was discontinued due to lack of sales. I think it was only in production for a year or 2. People seemed to not like the extra thickness of the handle. I'd be shocked if any special variations are made.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the backlock Manix, JuPaul.

My understanding is that it was one of those models which was made in response to requests from the afi's here, but didn't really do that well in the wider market. We're pretty lucky in the way that Spyderco are so responsive to requests from the Spydie knuts, but once they've tested the waters with a model which didn't take off for whatever reason, then they usually won't follow it up with other varations, in my experience.

You could always keep campaigning for it though. Or get some custom scales made in whatever colour you like. ;) :)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:21 pm
Get the Native Chief and never look back :) Thinner blade stock, narrower handle, surprisingly women's pants pocket-friendly especially with a deep carry clip. IMO the Native Chief is better than the Manix2 backlock and I've owned both. I'm a woman with small hands FYI. Hopefully they sprint/exclusive the Native Chief.
Hmm...I haven't really looked at the Native Chief. Will do. Thx!

I'm still bummed to hear the Manix backlock is probably not coming back, though. :( Thanks for all your answers, though!
- Julia

zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I feel like a lot of the “bring back X model” threads can be solved by simply purchasing that model used. In this case there are new examples on eBay. Just buy one!

As far as the scale color, you may be able to get someone to make scales for it. But I think they have threaded inserts for the clip that scale makers may not be set up to replicate. You’re probably going to make a compromise here.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Cambertree wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:25 pm
We're pretty lucky in the way that Spyderco are so responsive to requests from the Spydie knuts, but once they've tested the waters with a model which didn't take off for whatever reason, then they usually won't follow it up with other varations, in my experience.
Very cool of spyderco, indeed! Perhaps a compression lock option would sell better, and it'd serve the same purpose for me, personally. I can see how a backlock might be perceived as sort of ho-hum, not as sexy as the usual ball bearing lock.

And so begins my one-woman campaign... ;)
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

zhyla wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:02 pm
I feel like a lot of the “bring back X model” threads can be solved by simply purchasing that model used. In this case there are new examples on eBay. Just buy one!

As far as the scale color, you may be able to get someone to make scales for it. But I think they have threaded inserts for the clip that scale makers may not be set up to replicate. You’re probably going to make a compromise here.
For sure, and I may. But given the lack of aftermarket scales, I wanted to ask if other options might be on the horizon.
- Julia

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

They Manix 2 back lock is the best version of this knife, period. If I had to have one folder this would be it. I do wish they would bring us out in a lightweight version with thinner blade stock.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:10 pm
They Manix 2 back lock is the best version of this knife, period. If I had to have one folder this would be it. I do wish they would bring us out in a lightweight version with thinner blade stock.
Wow, now I'm even more keen to try it. Am I right to assume that the blades would not be interchangeable btw the back lock and bearing lock versions?
- Julia

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:14 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Wow, now I'm even more keen to try it. Am I right to assume that the blades would not be interchangeable btw the back lock and bearing lock versions?
Right. They are not interchangeable because of the lock type and also the blade as much thicker on the back lock.

Sorry for the typos. iPad is not accurate in interpreting speech.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Doc Dan wrote:

A lightweight FRN Manix Backlock LW would be pretty sweet and might help us get a Manix LW Salt in that format.

Otherwise, I would love to see a G10 Manix Backlock exclusive from BHQ in their Jade M4 with DLC. They could EASILY sell that out.

A G10 Manix Backlock Salt in LC200N would no doubt be a good seller as well. Especially with Day Glow Translucent Neon Yellow G10 scales and DLC blade!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:11 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

A lightweight FRN Manix Backlock LW would be pretty sweet and might help us get a Manix LW Salt in that format.

Otherwise, I would love to see a G10 Manix Backlock exclusive from BHQ in their Jade M4 with DLC. They could EASILY sell that out.

A G10 Manix Backlock Salt in LC200N would no doubt be a good seller as well. Especially with Day Glow Translucent Neon Yellow G10 scales and DLC blade!
I would definitely be interested in both of those versions. I have both in the native 5, and love them.
- Julia

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I would love a Manix backlock keeping the manix liners. Thinner yet sturdier. There are MORE than enough lightweight options. I love backlocks.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

The Flash batch concept might be a possible venue for a Manix LB revival... At as few as 250 pieces that would undoubtedly sell through even if the only exposure it got was through the forum.

If this happened I'd think there would have to be fairly strong consensus on what steel and color would be popular. Translucent red and DLC 4V anyone? :D
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
vivi

Post by vivi »

Me and my wallet were ready for the XL version that never came. Loved the action of the Manix 2 backlock, but prefer the full sized Manix.
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

awa54 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:05 am
The Flash batch concept might be a possible venue for a Manix LB revival... At as few as 250 pieces that would undoubtedly sell through even if the only exposure it got was through the forum.

If this happened I'd think there would have to be fairly strong consensus on what steel and color would be popular. Translucent red and DLC 4V anyone? :D

I would love a Red DLC 4V exclusive from St Nicks and have actually emailed them in the past asking for exactly this. I think they would be up for it after the roll out some of the usual suspect first like a PM2, Shaman, Native, etc and as long as they continue to see same day sellouts I would think a Manix Backlock wouldn't be out of the question if enough people want one.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Manix backlock?
Make it a lightweight, make it the XL, give it the thinner blade stock of all the other Manix models... :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:15 am
Me and my wallet were ready for the XL version that never came. Loved the action of the Manix 2 backlock, but prefer the full sized Manix.

I still want a flash batch of the original C95 Manix with the Dino Jimping. Something like 3V or 4V with DLC and a good color of Peel Ply G10. These would fly.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

If BladeHQ does a run of these it will sell out.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?