Chap LW Back in Stock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wright.88

Re: Chap LW Back in Stock

Post by Wright.88 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:33 pm
Wright.88 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:06 am
I wasn't a fan of the LW Chap's action/back lock stiffness either.
As said, there is an easy mod/ fix for that... or you break it in for some time.. mine got significantly smoother after operating the lock quite a bit.
I've owned many different Spyderco back locks and most have had excellent action right out of the box. I'm sure the Chap LW would have become less stiff with time, but without modification it would never have been as good as my Delicas and Dragonflys (part of that is the narrow backpack without a thumb cutout, part of that is the stiffness of the spring). I wasn't aware of that mod when I sold the Chap a year or two ago. If this one is still really stiff, I'll probably try the mod and see how it helps.

Also, my BHQ order has already shipped! Love BHQ.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Lol Knifecenter just charged my card and status is back in stock. Hopefully I'll get the shipping notice soon
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

Ordered one too. I'm ootl re: the CQI that occurred. Would anyone mind explaining the nature of what was CQI'd?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I heard it was the clip retention/position
Spydergirl88
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wright.88 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:15 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:33 pm
Wright.88 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:06 am
I wasn't a fan of the LW Chap's action/back lock stiffness either.
As said, there is an easy mod/ fix for that... or you break it in for some time.. mine got significantly smoother after operating the lock quite a bit.
I've owned many different Spyderco back locks and most have had excellent action right out of the box. I'm sure the Chap LW would have become less stiff with time, but without modification it would never have been as good as my Delicas and Dragonflys (part of that is the narrow backpack without a thumb cutout, part of that is the stiffness of the spring). I wasn't aware of that mod when I sold the Chap a year or two ago. If this one is still really stiff, I'll probably try the mod and see how it helps.
Admittedly I can just talk about the one single Chap I ever had (and still have). Yes, it was the hardest to operate of all my backlocks (and I had quite many), but not by much.

Sure the blade-stock-matching thin lockbar digs into the finger a bit more than the wider one of most other backlocks and was a tad harder to depress.
And I must admit, I played a lot with the Chap (opened and closed it for approximately 500 times), but after that it was really smooth without having to do the mod...

What remains: It is quite hard to flick, cause the blade is so very light. Thumb flick no problem, but with index, middle or ring finger it does not work every time.

What's really a concern of mine: Folks, who you get that great and even in Spydercos lineup unique knife: Don't dismiss it if you like every thing else but the at first maybe stiff lock! From what I've read, the backspring mod is easy to do and solves the issue.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Shipping notice received, all is forgiven Knifecenter
Spydergirl88
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

God'sMyJudge wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:42 pm
Ordered one too. I'm ootl re: the CQI that occurred. Would anyone mind explaining the nature of what was CQI'd?
I too am curious and would love to see pics of each.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Does this mean more Taichung models are coming back soon?
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

Back in stock at DLT.
Harkwit

Post by Harkwit »

Can someone explain the CQI? Were old clips falling off?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Hopefully now that these are CQI'd and back in production that will mean that the Chap LW Salt is not far behind!!! Toxic Green FRN and DLC LC200N??? :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Harkwit wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:33 am
Can someone explain the CQI? Were old clips falling off?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84314
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)