Chap LW Back in Stock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Unadan

Chap LW Back in Stock

Post by Unadan »

At BladeHQ. I'm assuming this is the CQI'd version?

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ght--77663
steelcity16

Re: Chap LW Back in Stock

Post by steelcity16 »

Yes, it would be good to confirm if this is the CQI version with the improved clip retention.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Unadan

Post by Unadan »

Just spoke with a rep at BHQ who confirmed these are the new ones. I also contacted Spyderco Customer Service. They said they had just received their shipment of the improved version of the Chap and that the items at BHQ (and probably any other knife stores) are in fact the updated knives.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

In stock at knifecenter too
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I decided to give this knife another chance. When it was first released I was really hyped for it but it disappointed me. I had some knifecenter points burning a hole in my pocket. Plus if this one is hard to open like my previous 2 chaps, I will consult the chap lock spring mod thread.
Spydergirl88
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:21 am
I decided to give this knife another chance. When it was first released I was really hyped for it but it disappointed me. I had some knifecenter points burning a hole in my pocket. Plus if this one is hard to open like my previous 2 chaps, I will consult the chap lock spring mod thread.
That's a good idea and also hint for people who might dislike the Chap at first cause of the sometimes obviously a bit harder to operate backlock:

1.) Like all backlocks it will break in nicely anyway
2.) The spring mod (placing the spring 2 or 3 mm more forward) is easy to do and should make the lock a lot smoother and easyier to operate without the break in phase (though I just repeat what people reportet on this forum. I did not do the mod myself, liked my Chap the way it came).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:52 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
That's a good idea and also hint for people who might dislike the Chap at first cause of the sometimes obviously a bit harder to operate backlock:

2.) The spring mod (placing the spring 2 or 3 mm more forward) is easy to do and should make the lock a lot smoother and easyier to operate without the break in phase (though I just repeat what people reportet on this forum. I did not do the mod myself, liked my Chap the way it came).
I've owned a lot of backlocks and only 3 ever gave me trouble. The chap carbon fiber, the chap lw, and the baby jess horn sprint. There is no greater backlock opening joy than that of a caly 3.5 or native chief. Or a smooth as glass old caly jr with micarta. Heck even the FRN Seki models are a pleasure. Of course backlocks smooth out over time. But those 3 mentioned above were problems from the start.
Spydergirl88
zippifish

Post by zippifish »

Place my order through the Spyderco site since I get 50% off for being a Vet, also ordered the DF2 Salt SE and Sharpmaker, been waiting for the FRN Chap.

Ironically earlier this morning before getting the news Chaps were available again I asked TRM to take me off their waiting list for the Neutron was kind of redundant after getting the Atom.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:07 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:52 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:

I've owned a lot of backlocks and only 3 ever gave me trouble. The chap carbon fiber, the chap lw, and the baby jess horn sprint. There is no greater backlock opening joy than that of a caly 3.5 or native chief. Or a smooth as glass old caly jr with micarta. Heck even the FRN Seki models are a pleasure. Of course backlocks smooth out over time. But those 3 mentioned above were problems from the start.

Spydergirl, sorry should I have sounded like I'd try to "lecture" you, I am well aware that you owned a lot more knives than I did.

My post was rather aimed to people new to backlocks and/or the Chap, so those would not judge the knife only by first impressions of the maybe a bit harder to operate lock, when there actually is an easy fix for that...
And: People new to backlocks sometimes underestimate how much good breaking in the knife can
actually do.
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I think at blade hq it is in stock again... at least it says nothing about preorder or out of stock there. Not sure though, since as an European I am not really familiar with their site (and didn´t order, since luckily I already HAVE my Chap FRN... ;) )
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Just an update: Knifecenter has changed my order from in stock to out of stock delayed by manufacturer. So there's that
Spydergirl88
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:24 am
Just an update: Knifecenter has changed my order from in stock to out of stock delayed by manufacturer. So there's that
Yeah, KC sucks IMO.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:28 pm
I think at blade hq it is in stock again... at least it says nothing about preorder or out of stock there. Not sure though, since as an European I am not really familiar with their site (and didn´t order, since luckily I already HAVE my Chap FRN... ;) )

I think the above is true still... has anyone tried to order it there?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Cscottsss wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:54 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Yeah, KC sucks IMO.
Yeah I can't argue with you there.
Spydergirl88
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Spydergirl, can you post your impression when you get yours?

I've had good luck with all my Chaps, and I'll be curious to see if the new run gives you similar issues to the old one.
zippifish

Post by zippifish »

Mine is coming from Spyderco's online store, shipped same day UPS and will receive it tomorrow.
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

Cscottsss wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:54 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Yeah, KC sucks IMO.
My one order with them was my last.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

I wasn't a fan of the LW Chap's action/back lock stiffness either. Really liked everything else about it. I'm giving the CQI version another try. Ordered one from BHQ, also in stock at GP Knives
fkmtb07

Post by fkmtb07 »

Super interested in seeing pics and hearing folks impressions on the CQI changes!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wright.88 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:06 am
I wasn't a fan of the LW Chap's action/back lock stiffness either.
As said, there is an easy mod/ fix for that... or you break it in for some time.. mine got significantly smoother after operating the lock quite a bit.