Bento Box M390 PM2 Re-Release on July 19th

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
eRoc

Re: Bento Box M390 PM2 Re-Release on July 19th

Post by eRoc »

Wright.88 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:43 pm
Swapped the blade with a DLC 20CV blade and hardware. I'm really liking it!

More pictures: https://imgur.com/a/WcVp5dI
:eek: Well I was on the fence because I bought the red m390 PM2 but I think that settles it right there.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The DLC looks AWESOME. Im shocked that Bento has done 4 runs of the Satin and NO DLC. DLC would have been sold out same day for sure.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

That DLC swap does look nice, but the satin finish on the M390 blade is very finely done, and that's a big plus for me. Of course, I presume that you put the satin blade on another set of scales, so I reckon it still has life lol.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
timlara

Post by timlara »

dj moonbat wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:44 am
I think it's so weird that there's this one outlier with such a different approach to reselling sprint runs.

EDIT: But the existence and success of BBS's strategy suggests that the other retailers are doing something wrong. The others are selling them off fast, at prices that let the secondary market capture a lot of built-up demand. BBS has to wait longer for their inventory to clear, so they shoulder some uncertainty that they might not sell them all, but in return for that uncertainty, they're not giving up 20% of the true value of the knife to some guy who's going to flip it on eBay.

100% agree. I am obviously in the minority, but I don't have a problem paying a little more for a model I really want if it gives me a decent window of time to purchase it as opposed to missing out because I got stuck in a meeting at work, etc, while hordes of flippers snapped up all the stock in 5 minutes at some of the lower cost sellers. (Which has happened to me at least a couple of times...)
Tim
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Well...this is tempting me to do the swap with my BHQ DLC/M4 Para 3, and throw the M390 blade to the natural/Jade G10 scales. I dig that black and blue...reminds me of the early-mid 1990-s Orlando Magic...the glory days of Shaq, Penny Hardaway, Nick Anderson, Dennis Scott and Scott Skiles...my favorite NBA team as a youngster!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Joey

Post by Joey »

It looks better than I had imagined with that DLC blade/black hardware swap :( now I have to do it. I don’t like tan/satin, so I’ll probably be selling my DLT tan PM2. A sacrifice worth while, if I’ve ever seen one!
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

eRoc wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:02 pm
Wright.88 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:43 pm
Swapped the blade with a DLC 20CV blade and hardware. I'm really liking it!
:eek: Well I was on the fence because I bought the red m390 PM2 but I think that settles it right there.
The Blue with DLC looks great!
I thought I would throw this into the DLC Hybrid category for your enjoyment...
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:55 pm
cycleguy wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:51 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:47 am
sn0wman72 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:40 pm
Would like to see the Para 2 bundled with the Delica...
I have little doubt that if you emailed BBS they would make a special bundle for you, but don't take my word for it, try it! :)
I tried that once and they wouldn't do it so I obviously have more doubt than you do; but I would let them tell you no.

CG
Huh, that's a shame bc they've done it for me and others in the past. Sorry bout that, maybe they changed their policy.
How does the checkout process happen when they do this for you? Pay listed price of each then they credit back the discount?

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

cycleguy wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:19 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:55 pm
cycleguy wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:51 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:47 am

I have little doubt that if you emailed BBS they would make a special bundle for you, but don't take my word for it, try it! :)
I tried that once and they wouldn't do it so I obviously have more doubt than you do; but I would let them tell you no.

CG
Huh, that's a shame bc they've done it for me and others in the past. Sorry bout that, maybe they changed their policy.
How does the checkout process happen when they do this for you? Pay listed price of each then they credit back the discount?

CG
Actually what they did was to make a PayPal invoice for the amount and emailed it to me; easy peasy lemon squeezee lol (what an absurd phrase). I have found BBS to be very accommodating to little "special" requests that I've made in the past, and while I don't want to speak for them or broadcast specific things they've done for me, I feel compelled to say that the "controversial" reputation they seem to have is, in my view, balanced by the exceptional service they've given me. That said, they are somewhat eccentric as far as retailers go, and it's possible that there are considerations that they are keeping to themselves and which have led them to limit any discount on the M390 PM2 they may have otherwise given. Again, I apologize for suggesting that you might get a discount, and regret appearing to have spoken for BentoBox. I thought I was acting in good faith but I should've just kept my mouth shut lol.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

JonLB,

No, good to speak out as I am making a second attempt... SO... "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit!" (i suspect equally as hokey of a phrase) :eek:

Thanks,

CG

P.S. I'm fine with BBS. As a consumer I believe I am better off with them around than without. I know others feel otherwise.
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

I am happy with mine. Maybe favorite next to smooth G10 cruwear.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

cycleguy wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:07 pm
JonLB,

No, good to speak out as I am making a second attempt... SO... "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit!" (i suspect equally as hokey of a phrase) :eek:

Thanks,

CG

P.S. I'm fine with BBS. As a consumer I believe I am better off with them around than without. I know others feel otherwise.
So ... my second attempt with BBS was successful and I have a bundle of my own on its way sometime soon. Unfortunately, the response time to my inquiry was three days and after a day or two I figured I wasn't going to hear from them. In that short period I dropped $200 on Delicas, $100 on kitchen cutlery, and $300 at SFO which left me scrambling to come up with another $300 for BBS... Oh ****!

As JonLB mentioned, BBS may accept a bundle you propose ... the knife I chose to bundle was bundled in another offering but not with the knife I was after... and BBS will send you a paypal invoice for your proposed bundle.

HTH,

CG
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

cycleguy wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:31 am
cycleguy wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:07 pm
JonLB,

Thanks,

CG

So ... my second attempt with BBS was successful and I have a bundle of my own on its way sometime soon. Unfortunately, the response time to my inquiry was three days and after a day or two I figured I wasn't going to hear from them. In that short period I dropped $200 on Delicas, $100 on kitchen cutlery, and $300 at SFO which left me scrambling to come up with another $300 for BBS... Oh ****!

As JonLB mentioned, BBS may accept a bundle you propose ... the knife I chose to bundle was bundled in another offering but not with the knife I was after... and BBS will send you a paypal invoice for your proposed bundle.

HTH,

CG
Wow Cycleguy I'm so glad that worked out for you! Never hurts to ask does it :cool:
BBS is sorta "quirky" lol, but there are aspects of their operation that make their eccentricity worth the compromise IMHO. I hope you enjoy that knife; it's a great one!