Bento Box M390 PM2 Re-Release on July 19th

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
eRoc

Re: Bento Box M390 PM2 Re-Release on July 19th

Post by eRoc »

BigGrove wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:35 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:49 am
There is plenty of demand for this knife so I’m sure BBS will run out of them eventually. Selling knives out in minutes is nice, but if they don’t that doesn’t mean an exclusive was a failure. It’s weird to me that some people seem to think that.
Agreed, although I think the St. Nicks Knives Delica exclusive could be considered a failure. It did eventually sell out though.
Well I think they priced the Delica too high and that's why it didn't sell. Wasn't it $180+ at first? After they dropped it to $150 it seemed to sell much faster.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Sober_Survival wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:55 am
I have never bought from Bento Box before, do they limit quantities? How is their CS?
I don't think that they limit quantities, but I'm really not sure on that.. Let's just say I've noticed that their exclusives tend to be available for a while..

The benefit to BBS, in my opinion, is that they have models in stock that are not readily available through the more "mainstream" channels. I've ordered through BBS three times.. M390 Para 3, Lil Matriarch, Stretch.. not knives that you can find from the usual suspects, like BladeHQ, Cutlery Shoppe, DLT, etc. Yes, they charge the flat $15 shipping charge, which, I concede, is akin to robbery.. but I try to frame this in my head as paying a premium in order to obtain a hard to find knife. I'm certainly not buying a popular production model from BBS, but for the knives I did buy from them, I was ok with dishing out a little extra $.

As far as CS goes, I have had positive interactions with them on my handful of transactions.. the site definitely feels dated compared with the competition, but transactions are conducted through PayPal, which I safe using. Shipping is pretty quick (which it **** well better be for $15). On one of my orders, I didn't receive a tracking # for whatever reason.. emailed BBS and got a friendly response with the number almost instantly. Be forewarned though, all sales are final.. that said, all three of my knives from BBS arrived in typical Spyderco excellent-from-the-factory condition.

Like I said, BBS is certainly not my go-to for the vast majority of my knife purchases, but for those difficult to find models or exclusives I'm interested in.. if they're the only ones selling them, I'm comfortable enough ordering from them based on my past experiences..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sober_Survival wrote:
I have never bought from Bento Box before, do they limit quantities? How is their CS?
I've only bought from them once, but was very happy with their customer service. I bought one thing, then decided to add another a few hours later. You can only reach them through email, so I sent a message to ask if I could combine shipping. They responded right away, and were happy to oblige. And my order arrived like 2 days later (as it should for $15 shipping). People on here have mixed feelings about BBS, but my experience was positive.

I don't think they usually limit quantities, and they often have items that are out of stock most other places. You'll pay a premium for those, but usually still better than ebay prices from what I can tell.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sober_Survival

Post by Sober_Survival »

DSH007 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:49 pm
Sober_Survival wrote:
I don't think that they limit quantities, but I'm really not sure on that.. Let's just say I've noticed that their exclusives tend to be available for a while..

The benefit to BBS, in my opinion, is that they have models in stock that are not readily available through the more "mainstream" channels. I've ordered through BBS three times.. M390 Para 3, Lil Matriarch, Stretch.. not knives that you can find from the usual suspects, like BladeHQ, Cutlery Shoppe, DLT, etc. Yes, they charge the flat $15 shipping charge, which, I concede, is akin to robbery.. but I try to frame this in my head as paying a premium in order to obtain a hard to find knife. I'm certainly not buying a popular production model from BBS, but for the knives I did buy from them, I was ok with dishing out a little extra $.

As far as CS goes, I have had positive interactions with them on my handful of transactions.. the site definitely feels dated compared with the competition, but transactions are conducted through PayPal, which I safe using. Shipping is pretty quick (which it **** well better be for $15). On one of my orders, I didn't receive a tracking # for whatever reason.. emailed BBS and got a friendly response with the number almost instantly. Be forewarned though, all sales are final.. that said, all three of my knives from BBS arrived in typical Spyderco excellent-from-the-factory condition.

Like I said, BBS is certainly not my go-to for the vast majority of my knife purchases, but for those difficult to find models or exclusives I'm interested in.. if they're the only ones selling them, I'm comfortable enough ordering from them based on my past experiences..
Awesome. Much thanks.
There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15.13
Sober_Survival

Post by Sober_Survival »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:57 pm
Sober_Survival wrote:
I've only bought from them once, but was very happy with their customer service. I bought one thing, then decided to add another a few hours later. You can only reach them through email, so I sent a message to ask if I could combine shipping. They responded right away, and were happy to oblige. And my order arrived like 2 days later (as it should for $15 shipping). People on here have mixed feelings about BBS, but my experience was positive.

I don't think they usually limit quantities, and they often have items that are out of stock most other places. You'll pay a premium for those, but usually still better than ebay prices from what I can tell.
Sounds good. Thanks man.
There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15.13
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:41 pm
BigGrove wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:35 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:49 am
There is plenty of demand for this knife so I’m sure BBS will run out of them eventually. Selling knives out in minutes is nice, but if they don’t that doesn’t mean an exclusive was a failure. It’s weird to me that some people seem to think that.
Agreed, although I think the St. Nicks Knives Delica exclusive could be considered a failure. It did eventually sell out though.

A lot of BBS's exclusives have been "failures" in my mind. Their Domino, Lil Matriarch, and S90V Military are all still in stock years later.

They seem happy to hold old stock for years. I guess they are the only ones that really know.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Well after the dlt debacle today with their red PM2....bbs it is.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Well, you don’t have to worry about their website crashing. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sober_Survival

Post by Sober_Survival »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:32 pm
Well, you don’t have to worry about their website crashing. :D
Their website makes me feel like I should be using AOL dial-up as my provider.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

This knife took a long time to grow on me. I EDCd it when I first got it, and just didn't dig the PM2 at all. I put Aramis scales on it earlier this year, and it's moved up near the top of my rotation. I'm actually carrying it right now.
ferider

Post by ferider »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:39 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:41 pm

A lot of BBS's exclusives have been "failures" in my mind. Their Domino, Lil Matriarch, and S90V Military are all still in stock years later.
They seem happy to hold old stock for years. I guess they are the only ones that really know.
And I'm very happy they do. Both Cruwear and S90V Militaries are outstanding knives. If BBS would reduce the price by 20%, I bet these "failures" would sell out in a couple of days.
ihped1

Post by ihped1 »

Everyone keeps saying $15 is an exorbitant amount of money for shipping. I'm from Canada and $10-$20 USD is the norm for anything. The DLT M390 was $230 CAD with $16 USD shipping, now I'm just hoping they don't charge any duties on it.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ihped1 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:43 am
Everyone keeps saying $15 is an exorbitant amount of money for shipping. I'm from Canada and $10-$20 USD is the norm for anything. The DLT M390 was $230 CAD with $16 USD shipping, now I'm just hoping they don't charge any duties on it.

It is when you live in the US, and every other dealer offers free shipping. they could ship one first class (2-3 days) for $5 or less pretty much anywhere in the country. $15 is just a profit grab plain and simple.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

I bought a red scaled M390 from DLT yesterday and almost bought two. The CA tax was an unwelcome additional $15.00.
If BBS would give a little break to Californian's who live closer and who pay plenty of taxes I might see a path to becoming a good customer.
A blue pm 2 would be really very nice, but from BBS the item would be around $220 instead of $190. I still don't have one and I'm ok. But I'm thinking about it.
I guess one day it wont be free shipping and no tax, it will be one or the other because they cost about the same.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:01 pm
ihped1 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:43 am

It is when you live in the US, and every other dealer offers free shipping. they could ship one first class (2-3 days) for $5 or less pretty much anywhere in the country. $15 is just a profit grab plain and simple.

You guys are fortunate to have free shipping from some vendors. But just because you do from some, doesn’t mean you should get it from everyone. Not all knife dealers are big. Some are small. I’m confident that Bento isn’t a store at all, I think it’s actually just one guy. And as a person who is used to paying for shipping the $15 doesn’t bother me (Canadian). If he/she doesn’t have a staff, I’d imaging packaging 1000 individual boxes to be shipped would be a pain. I’d like to be compensated too.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

As a consumer I'm looking for the best deal possible. The sole proprietor is trying to make money. Hopefully we can meet in the middle. Nothing against BBS. I'm sure they are good at what they do or wouldn't be doing it.
>>>>
Update as of 8:18am pst I'm thinking about it.
Thoughts:
If I get a new BBS smurf blue, how likely am I to use it because it's new?
I like my smooth black CRUWEAR.
I just got a red DLT. I already had one, why do I have two? Should I sell one to rationalize?
They're always going to be worth most of what I paid.
How would I pay for it, credit card?

Anyone thinking similar thoughts?

GOT ONE!
Joey

Post by Joey »

skybladefromthe wrote: As a consumer I'm looking for the best deal possible. The sole proprietor is trying to make money. Hopefully we can meet in the middle. Nothing against BBS. I'm sure they are good at what they do or wouldn't be doing it.
>>>>
Update as of 8:18am pst I'm thinking about it.
Thoughts:
If I get a new BBS smurf blue, how likely am I to use it because it's new?
I like my smooth black CRUWEAR.
I just got a red DLT. I already had one, why do I have two? Should I sell one to rationalize?
They're always going to be worth most of what I paid.
How would I pay for it, credit card?

Anyone thinking similar thoughts?

GOT ONE!
I am always having these thoughts about any new Spyderco. For me and my collection, new knives normally need to offer me something new. Blade shape/Handle shape/Color(blade or handle)/Steel. I will very rarely buy duplicates, and when I do, it's for trade bait.

This is my first chance at a BBS Paramiltary 2, so I ordered. It helped to not be charged sales tax, since I was expecting to have to. I did have one a few months back, but it was made 5+ years ago, and lacked production quality we find on Paramilitary 2's we see these days. I have since sold it for that reason. Spyderco has really stepped up their fit and finish lately, so I am expecting this one to be much like their current production in terms of F&F. Their M390 BBS Para 3 F&F is spot on. Anyway, can't wait for next week!

I'm curious to see how long these will take before they sell out. Does anyone know how many they made for this run? Extra credit: How does this run compare to the others in terms of quantity?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

not sure how many they started with, but there appears to be 260 in stock at the moment. There is somewhere between 1 and 2 hundred M390 Delicas left in stock as well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ihped1

Post by ihped1 »

If it wasn't $48 USD/$62 CAD shipping to Canada I might consider it, but that's just too much.
yoteslayer

Post by yoteslayer »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:28 am
not sure how many they started with, but there appears to be 260 in stock at the moment. There is somewhere between 1 and 2 hundred M390 Delicas left in stock as well.
How and where do you in stock quantity?