Real World Anectodal Incidents of Corrosion Resistance

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
emanuel

Re: Real World Anectodal Incidents of Corrosion Resistance

Post by emanuel »

Spook410 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:14 pm
S110V - Went fishing on the Texas coast. Was using my new PM2 in S110V to cut bait. This was night fishing. Got back to the room exhausted and reels, rods, and knives went without even a freshwater rinse. Checkout was that day and for the first and hopefully last time, I left something of value in a hotel room when I checked out. My PM2 had probably got knocked into some hard to see place in the room. And, to the staff's credit, the knife was turned in to the front desk so when I called, they had it. What followed were staff changes, coordination, a tropical storm, and other delays. I finally received the knife back a few months later. All this time without any maintenance. I expected at least a few spots after a good cleaning but there weren't any. None. Blade looked new. Now.. I usually don't care much about stainless. But when I do care, like a knife to be used around saltwater, don't think I need H1.. S110V works fine.
Same here, no rust so far with S110V, or S90V for that matter in salt water environment with minimal rinse, sometimes even the next day when I get home too tired to bother. Albeit they aren't folders with nooks and crannies where salt can accumulate. I remember Larrin's post on corrosion resistance, and S110V was up there with H1 and LC200N, but that's with a proper heat treatment. If just a bit more chromium gets bonded in carbides due to whatever variable during HT, then the corrosion resistance isn't that impressive no more.

My only corrosion issue that actually surprised me was with M4. I had some pretty nasty pits on the entire hidden pivot area of the blade of my PM2, I took good care to oil that part regularly and the blade looked like new 6 months in, but when I opened it up for a more in-depth maintenance there were deep pits all over the place, some 1mm deep. And wide enough to fit a small needle in them. I'm sure I have some pictures somewhere.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

Oh, and if anyone wants to see the rarest oxide on earth, guess the steel :D :
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I found ZDP189 to be very resistant to corrosion, in comparison to the perception at the time. My Stretch 2 ended up going to the beach, the lake and a few times in the pool or hot tub with really the only corrosion/rust/pitting on the liners.