Spyderco BM Proper Killer!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dazen

Spyderco BM Proper Killer!

Post by Dazen »

With the modern premium gentlemen slip-joints inundating the market now I keep seeing the BM Proper pop up everywhere, and I wondered if Spyderco could do it better. It has to be a knife that is a slip-joint, high end materials, and about 4” long/3” blade. The thing I don’t like about the Proper other than it’s a BM is it doesn’t have a pocket clip, whether I keep it on or not.

The only knife I could think of was the UKPK with the Carbon Fiber scales, which I think would be an awesome comparison. If the UKPK were done now with S110V and Carbon Fiber Scales and maybe even a drop point blade I think it would give the Proper a run for its money. With the finger choil, Spydie-hole, and clip it makes this an a easy win.

What do y’all think, especially those who own a UKPK? Can y’all think of another knife that competes?
Attachments
074A4E40-4328-478E-A96B-4975E2AC22E0.jpeg
2AF54BA6-6B2B-4082-9F8D-F9443994B481.jpeg
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Spyderco BM Proper Killer!

Post by Doc Dan »

The proper is a great looking life no doubt. I’ve heard that the quality is sort of hit and miss as far as fit and finish goes and the springs. Spyderco of course is pretty awesome anyway. I’d rather have the Spyderco. I think a straight spine drop point Spyderco UKPK would be just the right thing.It should have good steel like XHP or ElMax, and lightning strike carbon fiber. It would also be nice if the liners had some color to them. The cf proper has colored liners.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'd buy it if it had nice carbon fiber, lightning strike c.f., or marbled. Also, it would be even better if the handles were contoured.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I think the roadie would be cool in cf and a premium steel.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

If it don't have a thumb hole or a fixed blade, I don't go there. Yep, great looking but the function (deployment) is sub standard and archaic. Makes me think retro ... ya know, Polaroids, vinyl & record players, that kind of crap that is getting popular again and people are dumb enough to buy.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
glutofknives

Post by glutofknives »

A cf ukpk sounds awesome.
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

It would be awesome to get something like the proper that actually cuts well haha... they come with like a 25 dps edge and a lazy plunge grind so the choil has to be modified to prevent it from getting an ugly smile when dropping back the edge angle to something proper like 17 dps... a little high class Spyderco would be awesome as an alternative for sure!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'll take my $100 HH exclusive UKPK all day, every day, over this knife. Wouldn't even ponder it for a second. BM is so overpriced it's disgusting.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:36 pm
I'll take my $100 HH exclusive UKPK all day, every day, over this knife. Wouldn't even ponder it for a second. BM is so overpriced it's disgusting.
There is a lot of truth in all the responses. I have a proper but the grind is too thick, it’s not a great slicer.

But the red g10 ukpk is much better and currently available if I’m not mistaken. Mine gets regular use.
Another ukpk in carbon, bone, micarta or ti would get my attention.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

SF Native wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:56 pm
I have a proper but the grind is too thick, it’s not a great slicer.
Ah really? That sucks, I really like sheepsfoots and the Proper is one sleek-looking knife.

If Spyderco made a similar-shaped thing, I'd probably buy it. Sheepsfoot blades are great, and I'm always looking to try out more.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

As long as local laws are allowing a locking, one hand opening folder I don't get the purpose of something like the proper from a practical point of view (if one just likes the design for other reasons that's fine of course).

The proper even has a long handle and no choil, so other than for example the Urban one obviously will not be holding it choked up (with a finger in a choil that's partly in the blade) which would support the NOT locked blade.
Plus if the blade might fold in accidentely, no choil or Ricasso will protect the index finger from being hit by the edge...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
G_shark

Post by G_shark »

If the Alistair slipjoint comes out and it's done well, this might be it guys...
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

G_shark wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:20 am
If the Alistair slipjoint comes out and it's done well, this might be it guys...
If this is the one your talking about I’d be all over it. I thought this was a one off for someone like Sal. Make this happen for sure!
Attachments
75FC67E9-57AA-4AED-A409-9C10D9EC7558.jpeg
EE0889E3-0A37-442B-B433-F30AFDFD482C.jpeg
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

blueblur wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:19 pm
I think the roadie would be cool in cf and a premium steel.
I’ve have a Roadie and absolutely love it, and would love to see it in CF. I think we would need a Roadie XL though to fill this need with the Proper.
Dane

archangel

Post by archangel »

I second that. Could well take over my personal #1 of premium slipjoint spydies, the Pingo Elmax sprint. Especially if you'd give it some material upgrade. :rolleyes:
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Redman5006

Post by Redman5006 »

I have the Titanium Pingo in Elmax. I would take it over a Proper all day, everyday. (bottom)
Attachments
CAFA124B-034E-4543-A12F-A890C792AA91.jpeg
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Kiwi 4 with micarta scales (since Moki does nice micarta) and a premium blade steel... With Moki that might mean Superblue, since Sakai is the only Japanese partner we've seen US/Euro steels from.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Not a huge fan of that blade design, but I very much DO like those CF scales! Definitely my favorite handle material.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

awa54 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:59 am
Kiwi 4 with micarta scales (since Moki does nice micarta) and a premium blade steel... With Moki that might mean Superblue, since Sakai is the only Japanese partner we've seen US/Euro steels from.
The Kiwi 4 was a really nice knife but it was too expensive for VG 10. You can buy a Delica with a wharncliffe blade that’s about the same size for far far less. If they re-thought this knife and made it With better blade steel then it might be worth buying. I love how sleek it is.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050