Spyderco BM Proper Killer!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: Spyderco BM Proper Killer!

Post by Sumdumguy »

Literally any slip joint that Spyderco makes kills that knife.

The only good BM is at 4am...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:52 pm
Hole please! I can already see the baby horn modded into a slip joint - but would be up for something different

Does the double dent make it thicker?
That would look great as well! Maybe with contoured scales, titanium liners, great steel, sheepsfoot blade and double dents (which would make it a hair thicker).

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
carrot

Post by carrot »

Something like the Roadie but larger, with micarta scales, and thinner blade stock would be totally aces. I'm thinking around Jr. Stockman sized?
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Slysz swayback could also be done as slip joint. Seems logical as the swayback is a modern take on a traditional model.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

sal wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:42 am
We can discuss a higher end Slipit. Maybe something like Carbon fiber, Micarta or? Does the steel make a difference?

Hi Michael,

I'm not interested in making a nail nick model. We can discuss one hand open, like the UK, or two hand open, like the Double Dents?

sal
I like the double dents very much. TheY serve the same function as the nail nick or long groove but should be easier and certainly Spyderco.

A modern, user-friendly steel like XHP and BD1N would compliment the design without driving the price up. Personally, I would prefer a coarse Micarta like canvas or burlap rather than CF.

And, bolsters are definitely traditional!
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:04 pm
sal wrote:
We can discuss a higher end Slipit. Maybe something like Carbon fiber, Micarta or? Does the steel make a difference?

Hi Michael,

I'm not interested in making a nail nick model. We can discuss one hand open, like the UK, or two hand open, like the Double Dents?

sal
I like the double dents very much. TheY serve the same function as the nail nick or long groove but should be easier and certainly Spyderco.

A modern, user-friendly steel like XHP and BD1N would compliment the design without driving the price up. Personally, I would prefer a coarse Micarta like canvas or burlap rather than CF.

And, bolsters are definitely traditional!
I don’t think Cruwear is all that much more expensive, maybe cheaper, than XHP or BD1N and I think it will appeal more to the general public. I don’t care what the micarta looks like because anything will look great, but, I do think there needs to be a CF version or sprint as well to cover all bases. I personally would buy both.

I’m not to keen on bolsters any more. I know they are traditional but I feel the market is going to a more modern gentleman’s folder. If I want to go full traditional I would go GEC or Northwoods.

Bolster vs no bolster.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

That Micarta is sweet. And, they like good with and without bolsters I have to agree. I’m still not in favor of more expensive steel to begin.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:33 pm
That’s settled then.

Sheepsfoot, double dent, British Racing Green micarta, polished rwl34.
Alistair slipjoint would work well with this set up. Maybe two versions: double dent and round hole?
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

To stay with the traditional idea, one-hand opening would not fit.

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Thinking about opening, some traditionals, even though they have nicks or long pull grooves, can be pinched and opened easily. I would see how this might work with elongated double dents to keep the closed blade height lower. And, anything over 3” would benefit from a lanyard/fob hole too.

Team Innovation
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

248AA11D-4FD5-446D-98F9-32753E7A5366.jpeg
This shape would suit the double dent very nicely. My version of it has no nick at all.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:

Hi Michael,

sal

A Cru-carta Traditional Slip Joint would be a cool little knife and something I could get on board with.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

What about something that could just be pinched open. Instead of double dents just put a small hole like on your fixed blades. Something you could feel but not really useful becaise it wouldn't be needed. That way you can keep a thin blade stock.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The ZT 0230 looks like a Proper killer to me. I'm not a BM fan at all (I've gone through about 5 of them and currently own none).

I really think the UKPK is the most useful slip joint I've ever owned. An upgraded version with fancy scales maybe? But honestly, I can't think of any way to make a more practical, useful slip joint than the s110v UKPK. The only reason I ever carry any other slip joint is blade length restriction or steel, and then the only one I go to is the K390 Urban.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

One heck of an expensive Sodbuster 😂
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:20 pm
248AA11D-4FD5-446D-98F9-32753E7A5366.jpeg

This shape would suit the double dent very nicely. My version of it has no nick at all.
Funnily enough I have the Mineur model from this same brand, where the blade is basically the mirror of the London. One of my favorite pocket knives, shame it only comes in 12C27.
A Spyderhole slipjoint in S35V would be such a nice addition

European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
BennyBontrager

Post by BennyBontrager »

We had a good discussion about this on the UK edge matters forum. I recon a sheep's foot blade in oho and tho options would be great. Lightweight-bd1n and micarta-posh steel options. Main thing is that the shape and colours must not look agressive or tactical. Natural or bright colours. Not green or black and not a pointy looking blade. I'm very excited for this.