Spyderco BM Proper Killer!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Re: Spyderco BM Proper Killer!

Post by twinboysdad »

Pingo is closest design.
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

I really like my PE Ocelot
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

archangel wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:10 am

I second that. Could well take over my personal #1 of premium slipjoint spydies, the Pingo Elmax sprint. Especially if you'd give it some material upgrade. :rolleyes:
I would be in on these if they came back. (wishful thinking)
sal

Post by sal »

It seems like the market continues to follow us. Now slip-joints are coming out from everywhere.

The latest proto of Ali's new 3" slippie is curretly being tested by both Eric and I. As is the new CPK - 3.5" Slipit.

sal
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

sal wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:43 pm
It seems like the market continues to follow us. Now slip-joints are coming out from everywhere.

The latest proto of Ali's new 3" slippie is curretly being tested by both Eric and I. As is the new CPK - 3.5" Slipit.

sal
Looking forward to seeing it, and if you need any more testers I’m available!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Dazen wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:03 pm
sal wrote:

sal
Looking forward to seeing it, and if you need any more testers I’m available!
I have no clue what these being tested models might look like... but as stated already, just imho every slipjoint should have some kind of choil or Ricasso on the blade for safety reasons (the BM Proper does not).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:51 am
awa54 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:59 am
Kiwi 4 with micarta scales (since Moki does nice micarta) and a premium blade steel... With Moki that might mean Superblue, since Sakai is the only Japanese partner we've seen US/Euro steels from.
The Kiwi 4 was a really nice knife but it was too expensive for VG 10. You can buy a Delica with a wharncliffe blade that’s about the same size for far far less. If they re-thought this knife and made it With better blade steel then it might be worth buying. I love how sleek it is.

I agree, the Kiwi 4 was another Japanese made knife that was excellent, but failed to excite because it used materials that are "standard" grade for Spyderco... and because the design pushed the envelope as far as looking unconventional (and having fantastic ergonomics).

However we're talking about competing with an arguably overpriced gentlemen's knife with slab scales that has a nail nick for an opening device... for most Spyderholics the Kiwi wins every time even at a higher price, think GB Air but with the pocket clip everyone begged for and a better blade grind.

If we just want a slim gentlemen's folder with better steel, that's already covered by quite a few existing models.

OTOH, if it's only a wharncliffe that can make the magic happen, then stainless versions of the Japanese wharnies ought to fill the bill and come in at much lower pricing.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
awa54

Post by awa54 »

glutofknives wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:12 pm
A cf ukpk sounds awesome.

The CF UKPK *is* awesome ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Flizwit

Post by Flizwit »

I’d love to see a Wayne Goddard Jr. SLIPIT in crosscut brown or butterscotch micarta.
Own: SpyOpera, Kapara, AEB-L Urban, Techno 2, Cat, S30V Dragonfly 2, REC Lil Native, St. Nick’s Lil Native, V-Toku2 Meerkat, McBee, Cruwear Delica.
Previously Owned: CF Caly3 ZDP-189, Sage 1, Lil’ Nilakka
Want: Birdseye Maple Chaparral, Pochi, LC200N Para 3 LW
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

sal wrote:
As is the new CPK - 3.5" Slipit.

sal
Is that a Canadian pen knife? Based on the caly 3.5? Why did I not know about this sooner?
G_shark

Post by G_shark »

Dazen wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:52 am
G_shark wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:20 am
If the Alistair slipjoint comes out and it's done well, this might be it guys...
If this is the one your talking about I’d be all over it. I thought this was a one off for someone like Sal. Make this happen for sure!
Yes, that's the one I'm talking about. These were very interesting at the Spydie meet. I preferred the smaller of the two protos, seemed more logical for a slipjoint, but I liked the choil on the larger one better. Small one with a large choil would be the bomb.
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

I would love a return of the G-10 UKPK and an expansion of the UKPK line!
Justin :spyder:
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

G_shark wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:34 am
Dazen wrote:
G_shark wrote:
If the Alistair slipjoint comes out and it's done well, this might be it guys...
If this is the one your talking about I’d be all over it. I thought this was a one off for someone like Sal. Make this happen for sure!
Yes, that's the one I'm talking about. These were very interesting at the Spydie meet. I preferred the smaller of the two protos, seemed more logical for a slipjoint, but I liked the choil on the larger one better. Small one with a large choil would be the bomb.
The smaller one would definitely be a winner in my opinion. The choil on both look bigger than the Kapara anyway, which is awesome already. Also, as someone said above and I believe as well, any slip-joint should have a choil for safety.

Furthermore, if we want to see a Spyderco knife that competes with the Proper it is going to have to be a slip-joint, and one that is currently in production or one that is in proto. I know there are many knives that Spyderco makes that are better and lock, but there is just something special about a slip-joint that is hard to describe. Maybe for me it is what my dad and grandfathers carried or just the simplicity of one, but, I will always have a few in my collection and I hope my boys will as well.
Attachments
8E425CDB-071C-46AE-90CE-C41B2509535F.jpeg
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

^ Those look really good!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

My most wished for Spyderco slip joint is still a UKPK Maxamet. :)
G_shark

Post by G_shark »

Dazen wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:10 pm
G_shark wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:34 am
Dazen wrote:
G_shark wrote:
The smaller one would definitely be a winner in my opinion. The choil on both look bigger than the Kapara anyway, which is awesome already. Also, as someone said above and I believe as well, any slip-joint should have a choil for safety.

Furthermore, if we want to see a Spyderco knife that competes with the Proper it is going to have to be a slip-joint, and one that is currently in production or one that is in proto. I know there are many knives that Spyderco makes that are better and lock, but there is just something special about a slip-joint that is hard to describe. Maybe for me it is what my dad and grandfathers carried or just the simplicity of one, but, I will always have a few in my collection and I hope my boys will as well.
Yes, the small one felt exactly the right size for a slipjoint. For some reason my finger felt kinda forced on the back edge of the choil if I remember correctly. Felt a bit weird. Looks good from the pics though. Weird.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

make this in maxamet/rex45/k390 and I will come.

munchs

Post by munchs »

jpm2 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:09 pm
make this in maxamet/rex45/k390 and I will come.

+1 here.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

For a modern take on a traditional I would like to see the Slysz Swayback: viewtopic.php?t=82390
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

CPK slip joint knife? I wonder what is going to look like.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45