Para 3 lightweight - clip problems?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
clrkwllms

Para 3 lightweight - clip problems?

Post by clrkwllms »

I've had my Para 3 Lightweight since May and I like everything about it except for one thing: I've knocked the wire clip off of it four times.

I've got a ton of Spydercos with the wire clip (Sages, Dragonflys, Lil Native) and I've never had this problem before. I moved the clip over to left-hand carry and I've dislodged it twice getting into my car and twice bumping something as I walked by. I moved from carrying it in my left back pocket to my left front pocket, but have popped the clip off from both places. So far I've been lucky and realized that it's happened but I figure it's just a matter of time before I lose the clip.

Has any other Para 3 Lightweight owner seen this problem? Anyone have any advice?
clrkwllms

Re: Para 3 lightweight - clip problems?

Post by clrkwllms »

I pulled out my digital vernier caliper and measured the thickness of the handle including the wireclip height and got about 11.4mm as the width for the clip setup for right-hand carry. I then moved the clip over to left-hand carry and measured again, getting 11.5mm on one leg and 11.6mm on the other, telling me that the left-hand groove for the wire clip is 0.1mm to 0.2mm shallower than the right-hand side. I would not have thought that would make a difference but clearly it does. I've stopped carrying the Para 3 lightweight because I can't reliably keep the clip on through normal use.

It's a beautiful knife with great ergonomics, but since I can't keep the pocket clip on it, I can't carry it.
jaysus145

Post by jaysus145 »

Mine has not been knocked off, but in the month I've had it, the clip has come lose twice. Luckily I was able to tighten it both times, but if I was out in the woods when it happened who knows if I would have lost it or not. I guess I could put some locktite on it, but I would prefer not to.
Ric

Post by Ric »

I took the clip off of mine and wanted to put it back on.
No chance to remove the screw. It was turning and turning.
I even removed the blade and used some force - no way to remove the clip screw...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Clrkwllms, Jaysus,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Username827

Post by Username827 »

Have carried my Para 3 LW almost everyday since I got it in April. Have not had a problem with the wire clip yet, but I carry right front pocket. I will keep an eye on it though
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

My dad hasn't had the clip fall off, but when I tried to move it for him the D shaped flat rounded off on the hole and the screw just turned as well. I had to grab it from the other side with a pliers to loosen it and subsequently tighten it.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

You know, my LW P3's clip has acted like it wanted to come off, never did come off though.
If I have to, may mill the insets a bit deeper????
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
araneae

Post by araneae »

No issues with mine.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
sharpone

Post by sharpone »

No issue with mine as of yet, carry it 4 or 5 days a week in my shorts while I exercise. Love my wire clip Spyderco knives!
jacala

Post by jacala »

Try levering the screw upwards as you undo the screw.
NewSpy

Post by NewSpy »

An easy fix is to flatten the the two ends of the clip that sit in the scale. I use my DMT coarse diamond stone. The clip will sit firmly and won't roll.
B.D. Swaim

Post by B.D. Swaim »

NewSpy wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:27 am
An easy fix is to flatten the the two ends of the clip that sit in the scale. I use my DMT coarse diamond stone. The clip will sit firmly and won't roll.
This worked amazingly thanks.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I’d send it to warranty and repair. The P3lw has become my most carried model by far (3 different ones from different batches) and I’ve never had this problem.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Have all five para3 exclusives (6th M4 incoming) and haven't had that issue.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I think the slots for the wire clip arent as deep on the p3 lw as other spydercos with a wire clip.

I havent had a problem, although my clip screw was loose from the factory.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I've had mine loosen up a bit a few times, but not bad at all since I applied some 243 loctite to it. If it really bugs you, I'm sure you could get a LynchNW replacement clip for it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Yes, I noticed this as well, the clip will roll on both of mine, and that hasn't been an issue on any of my wire clip knives except the Para 3s.

I replaced one of my Para 3s wire clips with an aftermarket deep carry Ti clip and love it, it's better all around. If I decide to keep the other P3 it will certainly get a Ti clip as well.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Ez556 wrote: My dad hasn't had the clip fall off, but when I tried to move it for him the D shaped flat rounded off on the hole and the screw just turned as well. I had to grab it from the other side with a pliers to loosen it and subsequently tighten it.
Ric wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:58 pm
I took the clip off of mine and wanted to put it back on.
No chance to remove the screw. It was turning and turning.
I even removed the blade and used some force - no way to remove the clip screw...
My 20CV LW shipped with a clip screw barrel that was significantly smaller than the hole in the FRN scales, leading to this issue. I love carrying this knife but it's definitely been the most problematic spyderco I've received from the factory.
dirtdawg

Post by dirtdawg »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:26 pm
My 20CV LW shipped with a clip screw barrel that was significantly smaller than the hole in the FRN scales, leading to this issue. I love carrying this knife but it's definitely been the most problematic spyderco I've received from the factory.

This makes so much sense - I am currently having trouble re-tightening the clip screw on my knifejoy lw after taking it semi-apart for maintenance, and I thought I had damaged the hole in the FRN somehow.