Para 3 lightweight - clip problems?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
clrkwllms

Para 3 lightweight - clip problems?

Postby clrkwllms » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:41 pm

I've had my Para 3 Lightweight since May and I like everything about it except for one thing: I've knocked the wire clip off of it four times.

I've got a ton of Spydercos with the wire clip (Sages, Dragonflys, Lil Native) and I've never had this problem before. I moved the clip over to left-hand carry and I've dislodged it twice getting into my car and twice bumping something as I walked by. I moved from carrying it in my left back pocket to my left front pocket, but have popped the clip off from both places. So far I've been lucky and realized that it's happened but I figure it's just a matter of time before I lose the clip.

Has any other Para 3 Lightweight owner seen this problem? Anyone have any advice?

clrkwllms

Re: Para 3 lightweight - clip problems?

Postby clrkwllms » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:54 pm

I pulled out my digital vernier caliper and measured the thickness of the handle including the wireclip height and got about 11.4mm as the width for the clip setup for right-hand carry. I then moved the clip over to left-hand carry and measured again, getting 11.5mm on one leg and 11.6mm on the other, telling me that the left-hand groove for the wire clip is 0.1mm to 0.2mm shallower than the right-hand side. I would not have thought that would make a difference but clearly it does. I've stopped carrying the Para 3 lightweight because I can't reliably keep the clip on through normal use.

It's a beautiful knife with great ergonomics, but since I can't keep the pocket clip on it, I can't carry it.

jaysus145

Postby jaysus145 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:59 am

Mine has not been knocked off, but in the month I've had it, the clip has come lose twice. Luckily I was able to tighten it both times, but if I was out in the woods when it happened who knows if I would have lost it or not. I guess I could put some locktite on it, but I would prefer not to.

Ric

Postby Ric » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:58 pm

I took the clip off of mine and wanted to put it back on.
No chance to remove the screw. It was turning and turning.
I even removed the blade and used some force - no way to remove the clip screw...

sal

Postby sal » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:43 am

Hi Clrkwllms, Jaysus,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

Username827

Postby Username827 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:46 am

Have carried my Para 3 LW almost everyday since I got it in April. Have not had a problem with the wire clip yet, but I carry right front pocket. I will keep an eye on it though

Ez556

Postby Ez556 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:32 am

My dad hasn't had the clip fall off, but when I tried to move it for him the D shaped flat rounded off on the hole and the screw just turned as well. I had to grab it from the other side with a pliers to loosen it and subsequently tighten it.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.

gull wing

Postby gull wing » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:43 pm

You know, my LW P3's clip has acted like it wanted to come off, never did come off though.
If I have to, may mill the insets a bit deeper????
SCARAMOUCHE! :spyder:

araneae

Postby araneae » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:28 pm

No issues with mine.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Just got: Wharncliffe & Waved D'flies

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

sharpone

Postby sharpone » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:58 pm

No issue with mine as of yet, carry it 4 or 5 days a week in my shorts while I exercise. Love my wire clip Spyderco knives!

jacala

Postby jacala » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:46 pm

Try levering the screw upwards as you undo the screw.

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”