Ever regretted purchasing a Spyderco model or no?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mini2white

Re: Ever regretted purchasing a Spyderco model or no?

Post by Mini2white »

I bought a collection and a lot of PM2's and Manix 2 came with it. They also went.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Never. I liked all Spydies I had in a way, some just more than others.

And without also having experienced those I eventually sold again, I would not have found out what I really like and would not like as much what I now know that I like... (what a weired sentence... probably not proper English...;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I wouldn't say I regret buying a Para 3 but it gets the least (almost zero) pocket time for me. It never seems like the right size. I usually either want something bigger with more blade or something smaller, lighter and more discreet. And speaking of discreet, what's the deal with the lanyard hole placement? The PM 2 carries stealth compared to the Para 3.

Hmm maybe I do regret it... :confused:
-Turbo
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I've regretted selling some knives (Southard and Slysz Bowie). Some I sold because the knife wasn't a good fit for me. The one knife that I sold because I didn't like it was the Endura. It just doesn't fit in my hand properly. There is plenty I like about the knife I do like, however.

Edit: spelling
anycal

Post by anycal »

Yes, probably two that I actually kept and use now and then.

The one I can't believe didn't do it for me, was the Gayle Bradley 2. On paper it should have worked. I said it before, but I will have to give it another try one of these days.
Peter
ATC729

Post by ATC729 »

The only one I regret is my very first Spydie, a blue Delica. I wish I bought orange since I have decided to collect orange Spydies. I'm not a fan of my Endura because I feel like it's too big, but I do carry it a lot when I'm not at work. I was also a little surprised at how small the Dragonfly was when I finally got it in hand, but it's ALWAYS in my pocket as a second knife.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Never regretted a purchase. No matter what, it is a learning experience. I would essentially have to receive a defective model to regret the purchase.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

Not a model really, only the steel in that model. I bought the original Manix 2 LW in BD1 and never liked the steel. Love the knife. I have models in S90v and S110v and use them the most of any knives I own. I can get BD1 Sharp but never as toothy as I like for cutting rope or strap. I recently bought another one Manix LW to see if my impressions would change and they have not.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I agree with Vivi and Pelagic (AND!) that even a bad buy will deepen an understanding of preferences.

The Southard Flipper was not for me.

In spite of its superb construction and materials, I felt my grip was forced too far back on a handle that offered too little room.

Besides, I felt Spyderco was being a little disloyal to its hallmark Spydiehole. As a former Boy Scout, divided loyalty is hard for me to take. :rolleyes:
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Other than regretting the excess I have collected over the years, I only regret one Spyderco purchase. It was a good deal impulse purchase on a Positron. It should have checked almost all boxes for me, but nope. However, there is an upside as it forced me to think more about my impulse spending.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

Ikuchi. Only knife I've ever owned that drew blood when trying to open it. It desperately needs some CQI.
Joey

Post by Joey »

I’ve found with Spyderco (even most models I expect NOT to like) I rarely regret the purchase. When trying other brands however, it’s more like 50/50.
I have probably owned 100 different knife models across a handful of brand favorites, and love trying anything new. It’s easy for someone like me to get wrapped up in a brand like Spyderco XD
Monty

Post by Monty »

Maybe not regret... but a little disappointed in a Delica I purchased recently. It's been a while since I've purchased a Delica and this one came with some issues I don't recall having before, the first wasn't hard to fix: it just had some very sharp edges on the spine, the jimping, the thumbhole, and plunge line, even the frn needed a little sanding. The second issue was this one came with a very stiff action, which wasn't unexpected as I've had them require some breaking in before. What put me off was when I pulled out my torx bits to quickly doublle check that all the screws were factory tightened, I inserted the bit into the pivot screw (just holding the bit between my fingers, no tool) and the screw easily tightened. Since the screw was already too loose for my preferences I backed it out a couple rotations and there was no perceptible change in the action- still hard to open and close, so much so that It was basically impossible to drop the blade partially closed with even a very stiff wrist flick.