Cricket - due for an upgrade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mini2white

Re: Cricket - due for an upgrade?

Post by Mini2white »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:18 pm
Or what about the McBee Instead of the cricket? I’m sorry I’m not trying to rain on anybody’s parade. I just don’t understand the cricket. I get the McBee though it’s pretty small.
But I just don't get the McBee. Isn't it great that Spyderco caters for so many varied tastes or I couldn't buy so many.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I don't get a knife that so many people want and clamor about but so few seem to actually own.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

I just carried mine for a week on a camping trip. ;)

The reverse-s shape is versatile and efficient. I like wharnies and hawkbills, but the Cricket just does more with a shorter blade. I like both the PE and SE versions, but SE is nearly perfect on this knife for cutting things open quickly and shaving things off here and there.

The rounded shapes make the Cricket even easier to carry and less conspicuous than something like the McBee or Dragonfly.

There are lots of great little knives that are easy to carry, but the Cricket also *looks* clean and simple despite the sophistication of the grip, lock and edge functions. It isn't a perfect knife, but it's one that would be very hard to make better.

It's also pretty unique in the world of knives; most of Spyderco's most popular knives have an obvious competing model to compare with, but the "Vampo" Olamic Busker is the only knife I've had that's really anything like the Cricket (and that one doesn't come in SE.)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I would love to see one in smooth micarta, maybe in classic Spyderco maroon micarta. It would go well with my micarta Jester. I've had up to 5 Crickets, and currently have 3, unless I'm forgetting one somewhere.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

Titanium with H1 serrated blade. Lighter, still retain thinness and a serrated edge that will last and last. IMHO larger not better for this model. This model shins with it easy to carry ways. Thin and unobtrusive. Fits in coin pocket and considered almost cute by non knife people. The blade shape is very useful and enough to handle most chores needed in typical day.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:34 pm

I love my cricket. I would like to see an frn version done again.

I think an updated Cricket LW Salt would do well. Bidirectional FRN scales on both sides (why was only one side of the original FRN Cricket textured to begin with???) and a wire clip. SE and PE H1 versions.

We saw how well the Teal Dragonfly did so a Teal S30V FRN would probably big a big hit as well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

sal wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:48 pm
I've thought about a larger one?

sal
A Locust?
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:39 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:34 pm

I love my cricket. I would like to see an frn version done again.

I think an updated Cricket LW Salt would do well. Bidirectional FRN scales on both sides (why was only one side of the original FRN Cricket textured to begin with???) and a wire clip. SE and PE H1 versions.

We saw how well the Teal Dragonfly did so a Teal S30V FRN would probably big a big hit as well.
By only having the texture on one side the knife slides well onto clothing etc without the rip of trying to get it off if it was textured both sides.

Sure a Teal would do great except only about a portion of those that wanted the Dragonfly got one.