Sharpening with leather.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tps3443

Re: Sharpening with leather.

Post by tps3443 »

I’m going to try the technique on my new knife that is Inbound to my mail box. It has good ole America Made CTS-204P steel. I am excited to try it, I’ve heard great things!
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
bbturbodad

Re: Sharpening with leather.

Post by bbturbodad »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:25 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:18 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:45 pm

OK let me ask you this?? What vendor do you get your diamond compound from? I've bought specialty items like that over the years from either "JapanWoodWorker" or Garrett Wade. But I would be up to trying out someone elses diamond compound if it is truly better quality.

I would think that companies that sell Straight Razor sharpening systems and supplies would have more ideal equipment and supplies than other tool vendors would??? Because the straight razor guys use leather far more that most of us do>> or is that changing?
I've used DMT Diapaste, which you can get in a 6, 3, and 1 micron sampler lack for pretty cheap. And also Michael Christy had a positive impression of Jende Industries diamond compounds which I believe are even cheaper!
Hey thanks for the tip on that JON :) I have heard of Jende Industries>> I've heard that they have a big line up of sharpening products too. Also I had forgotten that DMT also sells that stuff too. I've also heard that "SharpeningSupplies.com has a few items like that. But it does seem that many WoodWorkers are real sharpening fanatics like we are. I'm starting to see more specialty items like that in WoodWorking magazines like the two I mentioned i.e. JapanWoodWorker & Garrett Wade.
So if any of you know of any other really good WoodWorker vendors I would like to know about them as well. I'm also wondering if Barber supply houses might carry diamond compound? Probably not because most of the Barbers around here are getting away from using straight razors which is really a shame. Hey thanks again for the tip
I find sprays and emulsions work better than pastes. I certainly haven't tried every brand but I find Ken Schwartz CBN emulsions on balsa and bass wood work well. Also while sprays work well once applied, they tend to go all over when applying them so if you choose a spray, get it really close to your strop before pressing down on the pump.
-Turbo