How can we get more women interested in Spyderco knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ez556

Re: How can we get more women interested in Spyderco knives?

Post by Ez556 »

I obviously can’t speak for women in general, but for my wife it comes solely down to colors, appearance and size. If it looks cute, her face lights up. If it looks “scary”, she’s pretty much immediately turned off. Color is a huge factor though, to the point that I can show her two identical cars and she will say one is super sexy and be mostly uninterested in another when the only difference is one is dark blue and one isn’t. When we were at SFO the three knives she was most interested in were a Dragonfly Tattoo, a V Toku 2 Delica and a Calyso JR, the latter two due to the “beautiful gray” handles.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I like the idea of women carrying knives. I have offered many knives including my teal Delica to my wife but she always refuses. She really has no interest in knives no matter how much I persist.

Maybe like previously suggested I will have better luck with my daughter if I start early.

🤞
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

This thread feels oddly familiar...

As I said last time, purses.

Edit: Hah, that's because this same exact thread was started a while back by the same exact person. I knew my mind wasnt going bad on me!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

So, this may be sacrilegious to say here, but if spyderco really wants to appeal to women (and to a lot of men), they might consider borrowing a play from Benchmade's book: offer a few fully customizable options. I know this might take some of the fun and excitement out of sprint runs, but it could be done with just a model or two. With the griptilian (or mini), you can now pick from like 10 scale colors, 3 or 4 handle materials, multiple blade shapes, blade coating color, adding a pattern or image to your blade coating, and 4 different steel options. And you can design your knife in 3D online. Let me tell you, this appeals to women! And probably a whole lot of men, too. If I could do this for a Delica (or a Native, a Dragonfly, a Manix or a para 3), I would be ALL OVER IT! Maybe it's too gimmicky for spyderco, and I'd hate to sacrifice sprint runs and limited editions for something like this, but man, I reeeealy want a purple delica with a swirly-pattern black coated blade, blacked-out hardware, and M4 steel! ;-)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I think it's more marketing and "social norms" that make it "unlady" like. I don't agree with it. If anything educating everyone is our best bet. Unfortunately we are a small community. I know people who carry knives but would never join a forum. They see it as a tool and that's it. I'm sure most women use knives in the kitchen and that's their introduction to them. The kitchen is where a lot people use knives not just women. Maybe their dad or grandpa carried a knife but never taught them about it. Even a lot of men don't carry knives in their day to day. I feel like it's actually more common for women to use knives and edged tools in lesser developed countries. Again not spydercos ideal customer because these people probably don't have access to spyderco knives.

Of course people like what they like. I think trying to get someone into something they aren't into is a mistake. Can't really force a hobby on someone. I gave my father, my mother, and my brother each a knife for Christmas a few years ago. All spyderco and all good knives. My father rarely uses the knife and doesn't carry it daily. My mother kept it in her purse for a while but it resides in her make up table now. My brother never used it to my knowledge and I haven't seen it since. I've given 2 girlfriends knives before. The relationships ended but they kept the knives. Even during the relationship they didn't carry them. I was just sharing what I loved with them. Can't make them carry it or use it.

I also can't give a reasonable explanation as to why I like knives. I just do. Something about a knife that just gets me. Sure it's useful and handy but I like them all the same even without utility. An ink pen is useful and handy but I don't buy a lot of different ink pens. I buy the bare minimum most times.

Legality might be a problem too. Not so much that knives are inherently illegal but people perceive them as "weapons". Some people just have assumptions about what's legal and illegal. People like the err on the side of caution in most situations.

So that's my long winded post about "getting women into knives".
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Highly stainless, tips that aren't as pointy/pokey, feminine colors, ease of operation.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?