Mourning for the brick and mortar stores

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JonLeBlanc

Re: Mourning for the brick and mortar stores

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I'd also like to add, as an aside, that KnifeWorks (in my home state of Louisiana) is in the process of moving into a new larger showroom. According to one staffer I spoke with, it's going to be awesome, and I'll have to try to go and check it out. After a paycheck that is lol. So that's one retailer among several that is both brick and mortar AND online. Also, their staffers are very courteous and extremely helpful and accommodating.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
C99c

Post by C99c »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:19 pm
I'd also like to add, as an aside, that KnifeWorks (in my home state of Louisiana) is in the process of moving into a new larger showroom. According to one staffer I spoke with, it's going to be awesome, and I'll have to try to go and check it out. After a paycheck that is lol. So that's one retailer among several that is both brick and mortar AND online. Also, their staffers are very courteous and extremely helpful and accommodating.
Knifeworks are good people. I've been using them for nearly a decade and every interaction only leaves me wanting to give them more money.

I try to support local businesses as much as possible and don't mind spending a little more for a product locally as long as it's not ridiculous.
Support Knife Rights. https://kniferights.org/

Don't buy knives from EBAY or AMAZON. There are plenty of good companies that will appreciate your business and don't sell fakes.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I also shop KnifeWorks online and have enjoyed talking to actual people in following up an order. Nice they have been able to expand their physical space.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vivi

Post by vivi »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:46 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:43 am
Plus people use brick and mortar stores to see the product in person then go online and buy it cheaper somewhere else
This is why I can't even go into a brick n' mortar, because I just don't think that's right to do at all, and I also can't afford their prices, so I feel like I just shouldn't take advantage of their existence just to handle products. It would be one thing if I were buying, but not just to comparison shop.

Lots of Brick and Mortars price match.

Big ones like Bass Pro and Cabelas will price match any store with a physical presence. They'll price match wal-mart, knifecenter, newgraham etc.

Local B&M's will work with you. I used to have one nearby when I lived up North that had an unwritten price match policy. Basically I talked with a manager and said I want to support you guys but I'm not paying 25% mark-ups on prices compared to online shops. I told them if they could get me within about $20 or so, they'd have a sale. They always worked to accomodate me while still being able to make a profit, and in return I gave them additional business for other products they priced more competitively.

Talk with your B&M. Chances are they might be able to do something similar. Or we can all order off Amazon and drive out the B&M's then lament their passing while our heads are in the sand.

Anyone that's stepped foot inside a store like New Graham will know B&M's have their place.
Last edited by vivi on Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:19 pm
Knifeworks is one of my favorite shops. They have a great selection, perfect service, great prices and consistently have great photos. Someday I'll stop by their store in person.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I guess I'm kind of old fashioned in a way. Because I've always prefer doing business at local stores. Or reputable mom & pop type businesses online like New Graham or the few others that are still surviving. I've never yet ever bought anything from Amazon or hardly any of the other popular online websites. I doubt I ever will either. I seen this coming a long time ago and all my friends told me I was being paranoid and fearful over nothing. We've got so many strip malls here locally where I'm living now that are virtual ghost towns. All of these people that thought it was cool to buy from Amazon and many that laughed at me are now job-less>> they ain't laughing anymore.
As long as I can buy from mom & pop type dealers like New Graham or GP I'll keep buying many of my Spyders and other toys and sharpening equipment from them. I don't care if Amazon or any of the other nation destroying online retailers are cheaper I'll still do business with real people>> not some predatory, job destroying entities like Amazon.
I put Rip-Mart in the same category. And I live about 12 blocks from a Rip-Mart and rarely ever go there. Again I keep trying to support local brick & mortar type businesses. It's really creepy and ironic because two friends in particular that laughed at me about 10 years ago about all of this are both out of jobs now and having a **** of a time finding new ones :(
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:20 pm
I guess I'm kind of old fashioned in a way. Because I've always prefer doing business at local stores. Or reputable mom & pop type businesses online like New Graham or the few others that are still surviving. I've never yet ever bought anything from Amazon or hardly any of the other popular online websites. I doubt I ever will either. I seen this coming a long time ago and all my friends told me I was being paranoid and fearful over nothing. We've got so many strip malls here locally where I'm living now that are virtual ghost towns. All of these people that thought it was cool to buy from Amazon and many that laughed at me are now job-less>> they ain't laughing anymore.
As long as I can buy from mom & pop type dealers like New Graham or GP I'll keep buying many of my Spyders and other toys and sharpening equipment from them. I don't care if Amazon or any of the other nation destroying online retailers are cheaper I'll still do business with real people>> not some predatory, job destroying entities like Amazon.
I put Rip-Mart in the same category. And I live about 12 blocks from a Rip-Mart and rarely ever go there. Again I keep trying to support local brick & mortar type businesses. It's really creepy and ironic because two friends in particular that laughed at me about 10 years ago about all of this are both out of jobs now and having a **** of a time finding new ones :(
Well said JD.

If no one ever bought another knife from Amazon....they'd stay in business.

If no one ever bought another knife from newgraham, knifeworks, bladehq....they'd go defunct within the year.

Think about the future you want.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

We have a great store here in town, and they have a few Spydercos. I try to give them as much business as I can, but now that I have gotten to where most of my purchases are sprints and exclusives, it is hard to give them business. I'm not sure anything can be done about that. I suppose if I was to decide to get a new model like the Chief in S30V, I could have them order it for me. I do like to give business to a store where I know the person by name and have the chance to admire their wares.

I buy a lot of things from Amazon, but I won't buy knives -- I go to the online sellers we know and love.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Where I am, there are no more B&M knife shops. Of course, like everywhere else, the only stores that sell specialty knives are like REI and gun shops, which I don't really like to frequent. Ace Hardware stores around here don't sell any pocketknives, other than Stanley or similar razor utility knives/box cutters. Back when there were a few specialty cutlery shops, I had mixed experiences. Some experiences were good, some were horrible. Then, up until 2005, I also used to frequent the big local gun shows every few months for the vendors carrying name-brand knives.

Now I only buy knives like Spydercos or other major brands from online stores, from one of about three really good dealers. I will NOT purchase knives from Amazon or EBay or anywhere like that. And the dealers I do buy from never have a problem pre-checking a knife for certain things I ask about on a prepared list (I purchase through online dealers over the phone).

I would never consider opening a B&M knife store. You would have to charge higher prices than online, unless maybe you also sell most of your product to online customers, too.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:34 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Well said JD.

If no one ever bought another knife from newgraham, knifeworks, bladehq....they'd go defunct within the year.

Thanks VIVI :) It's most refreshing to see that there are good folks with brain cells like yourself that can see the big picture in all of this. Because before the internet that's about the same principle that Rip-Mart was using to destroy good reputable, home grown mom & pop businesses that made this country great at one time>> it's called predatory capitalism. I can't tell you how many small to mid-sized towns here in Missouri in the past 20 years that Rip-Mart would go into and sell their stuff for as low as 60 cents on the dollar until all of the local mom & pop businesses in those towns were all run out of business>> and then they would charge premium prices. The original, pioneer owner of Rip-Mart didn't operate that way. He actually made it a point to sell made in the USA items which helped the entire community and the entire country for that matter. But now they are nothing but a clearinghouse for all the 3rd World **** holes.

The people at New Graham, GP, Ozark Cutlery and about 4 others I could mention have always done me right and also with these mom & Pop type knife retailers on the internet you can be assured you'll always get "Real McCoy", authentic Spyderco knives ( or what other reputable brand) and not some counterfeit or 3rd World knock off. I have no doubt that many of the predatory big boys on the internet that under-sell these real knife retailers have ripped people off with counterfeit and knock off merchandise many times with no accountability what so ever.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Hmm, I wasn't sure we were allowed to mention online retailers. On the other knife forums, you can't, unless maybe the retailers are associated with them. If I'm not mistaken, they're also B&M stores, or at least one of them is.

The three online stores I buy from are: Blade HQ, New Graham, and Knifeworks.

Jim
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree. I just wish there was a B&M store near me that sold Spydercos besides the Endura.
You can't beat actually seeing and holding the real thing in person.
Vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:34 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Well said JD.

Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
jdw

Post by jdw »

A lot of the benefit of shopping on line was the tax free break. I am hoping that now that they are killing me with taxes like everyone else, plus the ability to actually see and hold the knife before you buy it will help mom and pop shops. Like earlier stated, it bothers me that I live within driving distance to a great outlet like SSK and they are an internet presence only.

EDIT: I bought a few knives this last week and I still get sticker shock when they throw taxes in at the final checkout. ;)
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
dman62

Post by dman62 »

My daughter and son-in-law just moved to Amarillo and stopped by Knives Plus there. I've also been to Blade HQ in Utah and was impressed with the amount of knives and the people I delt with at both places.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Still have one store I can go to, they stock a lot of spydercos but hardly all. But the prices are not bad and I like to be able to actually handle the knife.
Online stores are great for wider selection but that's about it.
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

something I wrote on the subject to a friend of mine a while back. Not specifically about knife shops but the idea is the same...

2-11-16 Sunday Star-Ledger article was déjà vu all over again. The two-page spread on the closing of Efingers, a longtime sports store in Bound Brook, New Jersey, had a real punch, because I had just been there. Considering trying archery, I walked into the store shocked to see bare shelves and missing merchandise. An older gentleman at the counter helped me out, and explained they were closing. Then he called over another fellow, closer to my age, who was also very knowledgeable. I explained what I needed and my ignorance of the subject; he got some shafts, points, etc. and made up a handful of arrows right there for me, out of what they had left in stock. They had no bows, however, but the two people helped greatly with suggestions giving freely of their knowledge and experience.

What they really reminded me of was a good local bike shop, where the owner or mechanic knows his stuff and is not only someone who offers a valuable service, but a storehouse of information, much of it gathered over the years.

Some of that information and experience is irreplaceable. There are not a lot of new bikes being sold with downtube or friction shifters, for example, so a mechanic starting out today might only see them on used bikes, as repairs. But a mechanic who has been in the business for years may well have installed them or worked on them on new bikes and know more. Same for any number of other things.

While I am always learning about bikes, it has been a long time since I was a complete newb in terms of knowledge base. I have even been in some bike shops where it seemed I knew more than the employee! So going into Efingers to learn about another sport, in which I was a total newb, was eye opening. It only reinforced the importance of the local shop, be it your local bike shop, hardware store, or sporting goods store such as Efingers. An argument has been made, no big deal, just buy online.

That might work for some things, but as I’ve written before, it doesn’t work so well if you want the advice of the shop, or to try out the bike (or bow, or whatever). I could have looked at a hundred photos of bows online (and I did, of course), but no photo or even youtube video review will tell you how it feels in the hand, how it shoots, how the draw weight feels. Just like, no photo on Trek’s website (to pick on one big-name bike brand) will tell you how a bike feels in motion, the feel of the gearing it comes with, or even necessarily if it fits you. (Yes, some web sites publish frame sizes, but these measurements are so non-standard nowadays as to me more confusing than helpful. Sloping toptubes, theoretical toptubes, and the use of varying tubing materials and diameters, which make center to center measurements almost meaningless, don’t make guessing bike fit based on a number on a screen easy.

And, while theoretically the interweb could feature “chats” corresponding back and forth with online sellers, this will never be as effective or take the place of going into a store and having the folks there help you fit to or try a bike (or other merchandise).

I don’t know whether online sales are the culprit (or just a factor) in Efinger’s demise, although the increasing purchase of goods online was mentioned in the article on the store’s closing. But it is sad whenever the in-person access to knowledge and experience in any sport or activity is lost.

We have seen this as cyclists when bike shops have gone out of business, something that, sadly, has happened all too recently over the past years, both in this area, in downtown Somerville, in Union, in Madison or Summit. Yes sometimes another bike store opens in the same town, as in the example of Summit, or Madison, where Hilltop stores have replaced the Summit bike shop, and Sal’s old store on King’s Rd., respectively. And even if the store is not replaced with another, sure the knowledge of the long-time employees or owners won’t necessarily vanish; they may stay involved in that sport’s community as participants, post online, or even write a book.

But the ability to walk into the store and talk to them across a counter, previously available to each and every one of us, is gone forever.

And that’s a loss.

As the world moves more and more towards an online, digital approach to everything, let’s not forget the analog world outside your computer screen. There is a value to your local bike, or sports shop.

The internet may be wonderful for many things. But it is no substitute for a hand on the wrench, or the decades of experience guiding it.

lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Convenience rules and culture is decaying, sadly.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?