Deep Carry Clip for the Shaman

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Re: Deep Carry Clip for the Shaman

Post by araneae »

Anyone using the short clip on a Shaman?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

araneae wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:41 am
Which short clip are you referring to?

This is the MXG clip I refer to as the shorty clip. I haven't actually carried it with this clip but i put it on for photo reference.

•• Beau
archangel

Post by archangel »

I think I have the long MXG one?
20210314_111947_copy_1612x1209.jpg

@ Buddafucco: why not tip down? Your clip in tip up position lets the knife still show when pocketed. Kind of contradicts the purpose of a deep pocket clip, imho....
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

archangel wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:46 am

@ Buddafucco: why not tip down? Your clip in tip up position lets the knife still show when pocketed. Kind of contradicts the purpose of a deep pocket clip, imho....
I would call yours the "Shaman clip" because i think they designed that one specifically for the Shaman. If i remember correctly.

When i pull a tip up knife out of my pocket it's closer to the ready to deploy position. I haven't actually carried a Shaman tip down but i have on other models and it always seems to involve more hand acrobatics to get to the ready to deploy position. Tip up works good for me. :)

The deep carry clip is more for fine tuning how the knife sits in my pocket. "In" my pocket as opposed to "on" my pocket. I think the Para 3 with stock clip is the worst at feeling "on" my pocket. If i crouch down it feels like the knife could either go tighter into my pocket, like it should, or pop off the pocket completely. It probably has a lot to do with the shorts i wear, how i wear them and body shape. Or maybe i just have sensitive pocket areas. The longer the knife the less of a problem this is for me. The end of the knife showing doesn't really concern me. It's never happened, but maybe one day somebody will see that little bit showing and say, "hey, is that a Z-wear Shaman in your pocket?" :D
•• Beau
vivi

Post by vivi »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:49 am
archangel wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:46 am

I would call yours the "Shaman clip" because i think they designed that one specifically for the Shaman. If i remember correctly.

When i pull a tip up knife out of my pocket it's closer to the ready to deploy position. I haven't actually carried a Shaman tip down but i have on other models and it always seems to involve more hand acrobatics to get to the ready to deploy position. Tip up works good for me. :)

The deep carry clip is more for fine tuning how the knife sits in my pocket. "In" my pocket as opposed to "on" my pocket. I think the Para 3 with stock clip is the worst at feeling "on" my pocket. If i crouch down it feels like the knife could either go tighter into my pocket, like it should, or pop off the pocket completely. It probably has a lot to do with the shorts i wear, how i wear them and body shape. Or maybe i just have sensitive pocket areas. The longer the knife the less of a problem this is for me. The end of the knife showing doesn't really concern me. It's never happened, but maybe one day somebody will see that little bit showing and say, "hey, is that a Z-wear Shaman in your pocket?" :D
You're not alone. I could care less about concealment but I don't like clips to ride too high for this reason. Especially on smaller models.
:unicorn
araneae

Post by araneae »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:37 am
araneae wrote:
Which short clip are you referring to?

This is the MXG clip I refer to as the shorty clip. I haven't actually carried it with this clip but i put it on for photo reference.

https://mxggear.com/collections/spyderc ... o-knife-17

This one.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I use deep carry clips on a lot of my knives, but for some reason I find all these kind of odd and out of place on the Shaman. Too dainty and thin for such a beast of a folder.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

araneae wrote:
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:58 pm
I use deep carry clips on a lot of my knives, but for some reason I find all these kind of odd and out of place on the Shaman. Too dainty and thin for such a beast of a folder.

I work around cars all day so when it comes to clips i go by the less is more motto.
•• Beau
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

It’s funny... one of the things that caught my eye and turned my attention back to a Spyderco was the factory spoon clip! I really like them. The only ones I do replace are on the Para3 because the deep clip helps with balance/rotation in the pocket. On the Shaman specifically, I find it a little tough to pull it from my pocket so I don’t want it any deeper than it already is.
archangel

Post by archangel »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:58 pm

Hmmm... the Millie is longer, and indeed the deep carry clip I got for it is longer than the Shaman's clip.
20210315_104255_copy_1651x1238.jpg
20210315_104238_copy_1651x1238.jpg
Nevertheless, imho the Shaman's clip is neither flimsy nor too short. Just about right.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...