Just ordered some Nano Oil *cough snake oil cough*

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
marty_bill_

Re: Just ordered some Nano Oil *cough snake oil cough*

Postby marty_bill_ » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:44 pm

Well since no body mentioned this I'll throw it out there. I use Kroil. I even bought the special little applicator for it. But it's a nice light oil that I prefer to others that I've tried. It's kinda reddish in color and smells ok. And lasts a good while. It's my preferred oil at the moment.

Bloke

Postby Bloke » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:18 pm

Thanks for following up on the Mobil 1, D. :cool:

I’m a little surprised how little gunk has accumulated. It obviously stays fairly well put and doesn’t migrate as much as some of the lighter oils. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

Bloke

Postby Bloke » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:35 pm

marty_bill_ wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:44 pm
Well since no body mentioned this I'll throw it out there. I use Kroil.
That’s very interesting marty. :)

I have a tin of Kriol and find it to be an excellent penetrant. I’ve also mixed it with colloidal graphite and used it “breaking in” new rifle barrels but I’d never have guessed it also had good lubricity and can’t help but think it would migrate and possibly end up where you didn’t want it to be.

Evil D

Postby Evil D » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:25 am

Bloke wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:18 pm

I’m a little surprised how little gunk has accumulated. It obviously stays fairly well put and doesn’t migrate as much as some of the lighter oils. :)

This was also my biggest surprise. I don't think there's any question of whether it will lube or not but I was surprised to see it really didn't leak out beyond where I put it and despite being a wet lube it doesn't seem to attract lint. That knife has been carried literally everyday since the last post I made in this thread so it has had plenty of pocket time. I think it will be my lube of choice on knives that can't be taking apart.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

Wanimator

Postby Wanimator » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:41 am

If you want a real nano lubricant look into Archoil AR-4400 lp. It's an amazing knife lubricant and uses nano Tungsten Disulfide suspended in PAO synthetic oil. It's non toxic and all that as well.

Bloke

Postby Bloke » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:44 am

Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:25 am
Bloke wrote:

This was also my biggest surprise. I don't think there's any question of whether it will lube or not but I was surprised to see it really didn't leak out beyond where I put it and despite being a wet lube it doesn't seem to attract lint. That knife has been carried literally everyday since the last post I made in this thread so it has had plenty of pocket time. I think it will be my lube of choice on knives that can't be taking apart.
I’d say we’re on the same page with lubes and can’t see how you could possibly go wrong particularly with Mobil 1 staying put and not attracting lint. The only concern I have, I wonder if it may have the potential to stain certain scale materials?

Just a thought D, do you have any discarded FRN or G10 scales you could use to see if it does stain?

Evil D

Postby Evil D » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:43 am

Bloke wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:44 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:25 am
Bloke wrote:

I’d say we’re on the same page with lubes and can’t see how you could possibly go wrong particularly with Mobil 1 staying put and not attracting lint. The only concern I have, I wonder if it may have the potential to stain certain scale materials?

Just a thought D, do you have any discarded FRN or G10 scales you could use to see if it does stain?
I've got some lighter gray G10 I'll see what happens. I thought one of the benefits of G10 was that it was very chemical resistant so I'm not sure what to expect. I would be more concerned with using something like transmission fluid, that stuff will eat paint off a car door.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

Woodpuppy

Postby Woodpuppy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:40 am

Hydraulic oils are pretty nasty. They are also generally hydrophilic, and can absorb through the skin. I’d avoid them like the plague.
Not a collector, but all these knives followed me home!
:spyder: AUS8, M4, H1, VG10, 52100, HAP40, REX45, N690Co, CTS-BD1, CRUWEAR, AEB-L, S30V :spyder:

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”