Just ordered some Nano Oil *cough snake oil cough*

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderg

Re: Just ordered some Nano Oil *cough snake oil cough*

Post by spyderg »

I sometimes use grease, got two different kinds from my old work. One is pretty thick bearing grease, the other is thinner hydraulic cylinder grease. Both work well but I’ve moved more towards fishing reel oil. Currently “Quantum hot sauce”. I used to use “super lube” but found it needs reapplication too often. I still sometimes pack my detent holes with the grease.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:40 am
Was tuf glide in the vial for pivots or was it a blade protectant?
I've used it on carbon blades and still use the cloth sometimes on the blades but I'm not impressed with it for a lube. Mineral oil is smoother.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

This going to sound like blasphemy but when I'm on the job working 12+ hours a day and don't feel like disassembling my knife with my limited time off, I'll often just spray the pivot out with brake cleaner and then WD-40 the pivot. Sure, WD-40 doesn't last long at all, but it's free and it gets the job done quickly. If there's some motor oil laying around I'll sometimes use that too.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:49 pm
This going to sound like blasphemy but when I'm on the job working 12+ hours a day and don't feel like disassembling my knife with my limited time off, I'll often just spray the pivot out with brake cleaner and then WD-40 the pivot. Sure, WD-40 doesn't last long at all, but it's free and it gets the job done quickly. If there's some motor oil laying around I'll sometimes use that too.
I have used WD40 to clean out pivots on pinned knives but like you said I'd stick with motor oil or something else for lube. We used to use WD40 to slip on BMX bike grips and once that stuff dries those grips are basically glued on. I'd feel better pulling the dip stick out of my car and dripping used engine oil into my pivot lol.
~David
Tims

Post by Tims »

standy99 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:46 am
Tims wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:12 am

I’ll try it out next time I disassemble something but I’m a wash ‘em, blow ‘em out and oil ‘em type.
I love that feeling of a freshly greased reel, like spinning through custard! Doesn’t last long though
Buy a shimano Stella it lasts for years ;)
Stellas are a bit rich for me. I am a Shimano man though, I’ve got Stradics and Calcuttas that have served faithfully for years.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

If you're looking for a new lubricant check out Go Juice. I notice an improvement over daiwa reel oil which isn't bad. Only drawback is it doesn't come with a needle tip applicator, but they can be bought.
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

I just use motor oil in an applicator pen like this one
https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Applic ... B017L1MOJA
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:37 pm
Has anyone ever used Benchmade Blue Lube? It's the only thing I've used and seems to work pretty well. Interested in how it stacks up against the others from anybody with experience with it?
Yeah I've heard good stuff about that lube that Benchmade sells. But I've yet to talk to anyone who has used it. That's interesting too because it was at two knife shows way back in the 90s>> at those shows they were selling Militec at the Benchmade booth. Also for years Benchmade kept on recommending Militec products for a long time after that as well. And I have used MILITEC products religiously ever since the late 90s and have been very satisfied ever since. Also that synthetic grease that Militec has is really great stuff as well for those of you guys who use grease for certain applications.

I might just get some of that Benchmade Blue Lube. I'll see if New Graham carries it.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I use mineral oil. If I'm going to waste money, I'll give it to my wife and enjoy the brownie points. ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I use militec-1, too, on knife pivots and on firearms. The grease is good too on firearm slides and M1a/M1 bolts & op rods. I also use mineral oil on blades for corrosion protection. Automotive lubricants work fine too in both applications. What has more critical lube needs, your $500 knife or $50k truck’s engine?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:03 pm
What has more critical lube needs, your $500 knife or $50k truck’s engine?

The more I think about it the more I think engine oil may just be the ultimate lube for those reasons. They can be had in different weights too, all you need is a little needle applicator and you're all set.
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

A little dab’ll do ya!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Woodpuppy wrote:
I use militec-1, too, on knife pivots and on firearms. The grease is good too on firearm slides and M1a/M1 bolts & op rods. I also use mineral oil on blades for corrosion protection. Automotive lubricants work fine too in both applications. What has more critical lube needs, your $500 knife or $50k truck’s engine?
As far as corrosion prevention I've yet to find anything much better than the Marine Grade TUF-CLOTH made by Sentry Solutions. Their TUF-GLIDE all purpose lubricant isn't bad either>> although I do like MILITEC better for certain reasons. Actually all of the products made by Sentry Solutions are better than most>> but yet you don't hear people talking about them much anymore like you used to at one time.

Now I do think that this new "nanotechnology" is going to yield some good products. Not sure if "Nano-Oil" is one of the good products or not. With the good results I've had with Militec and Sentry Solutions products I'm just not finding much need for anything else. I've also wondered at times if any of the highly touted PTFE based lubes are what they are cracked up to be. But they seem to be target marketed for the automotive industry. But I would think that some of the PTFE based products might have multiple uses.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve used PTFE lubes on firearms for years. Seem to work pretty well, but I like a “clearer” oil better.

@EvilD, I forgot to ask you about the Phil Wood lube. I have a bottle of tenacious oil from oh 20 years ago when I worked in a bike shop. Good for internal gear hubs and not much else, but I bet it would work great on a knife pivot. It’s the devil to clean off though so use it on a knife you’re comfortable disassembling as needed. I wonder if it would slow down the action? It’s basically a gear lube.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:35 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
What has more critical lube needs, your $500 knife or $50k truck’s engine?

The more I think about it the more I think engine oil may just be the ultimate lube for those reasons. They can be had in different weights too, all you need is a little needle applicator and you're all set.
100% agree!

The grease I use on pivots, Shimano uses in the drag (clutch) systems on their fishing reels. The grease is engineered to work under pressure and heat generated by friction in a saltwater environment. No surprise it works so well on folders pivots. :rolleyes:

I find I can just plain tune a knife “tighter” using grease. I can put more tension on the pivot using grease as opposed to oil and still have the blade drop freely while all but eliminating horizontal blade play with the knife’s lock disengaged. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

You know, I don’t think I’ve ever lubed my Salt 2 ??
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:24 pm
I find I can just plain tune a knife “tighter” using grease. I can put more tension on the pivot using grease as opposed to oil and still have the blade drop freely while all but eliminating horizontal blade play with the knife’s lock disengaged. :)

Yes! This right here is absolutely true. Maybe it's a matter of filling in the gaps in tolerances, I dunno but I swear I can tighten down pivots more and eliminate blade play while still having a free swinging blade. This has been especially true with the new CQI Military.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:04 pm
I’ve used PTFE lubes on firearms for years. Seem to work pretty well, but I like a “clearer” oil better.

@EvilD, I forgot to ask you about the Phil Wood lube. I have a bottle of tenacious oil from oh 20 years ago when I worked in a bike shop. Good for internal gear hubs and not much else, but I bet it would work great on a knife pivot. It’s the devil to clean off though so use it on a knife you’re comfortable disassembling as needed. I wonder if it would slow down the action? It’s basically a gear lube.

I've had this tube of Phil Wood since at least as far back as 1995, I'm almost certain I bought it to pack headset bearings in a GT Fueler.

I've also tried some other types of grease, I have some that is much thicker and extremely sticky, so much that it stretches like hot cheese when stuff touches it. I tried it in my Caribbean and it definitely slowed down the action but really wasn't any smoother. It would be a good option on a knife used around water that isn't totally rust proof, I doubt it would rinse out.
~David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:08 pm
You know, I don’t think I’ve ever lubed my Salt 2 ??
In the three years I’ve owned and used my Tasman HB it’s never once seen a screwdriver or single drop of any lubricant. I kept it clean by washing it in saltwater and sometimes service it by flushing with freshwater at the sink. :)

Some knife’s just are what they are I s’pose and don’t require anything, plus you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear, ay? :D
Evil D wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:19 pm
This has been especially true with the new CQI Military.
Again, agree 100%.

I find the Military can be fairly easily tuned to perfection with the right lube at the pivot. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Tims

Post by Tims »

Matt Deaner wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:52 pm
I just use motor oil in an applicator pen like this one
https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Applic ... B017L1MOJA
Fancy, nice. I slum it with this