Just ordered some Nano Oil *cough snake oil cough*

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prndltech

Re: Just ordered some Nano Oil *cough snake oil cough*

Post by prndltech »

I_like_knives wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:43 am
I just use whatever I already have handy. Usually it's 3in1 or Remoil. I've veen known to use motor oil or ATF too.

IMO, knives are incredibly simple machines, and are not subject to harsh or demanding conditions. Practically any oil will do a reasonable job of slicking up the action and keeping corrosion at bay.
Yup, whatever’s around when I think “hey, I can’t remember the last time I oiled this thing” whether it needs it or not I don’t know as I’m probably in the minority here... I don’t take knives apart. I’ve honestly never felt the need to. Some compressed air, maybe some water and occasionally some lube of some kind. Never had any problems.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Hey Evil D, how’s that lube doin ya?
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

So I have been using Nano oil in my pivots and I’ve been pretty happy with it, but today I thought I’d try some Vaseline in my Mili and it’s amazing. Glides like it’s on bearings.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

I thought nano oil was fine, but I recently got some white lithium grease for something else, and now it’s in the bearings of my Mantra 2. I’d say it’s a little faster than the nano oil, and it stays put a LOT longer. Sorry for doubting, D.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Ordered some Nano Oil recently, only ever used Blue Lube or Tuff Glide in the past. Wow, what a difference. I went with the medium weight, using it for all my pivots now. Plus, they're local! Haven't tried grease before.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:07 pm

In the end I stuck with bearing grease. I've used the Nano for other lube needs and on some knives that are pinned. I do think it's a fine line but I also think it's incredibly over priced since motor oil seems to be just as good and is significantly cheaper and you'll get 10 lifetimes supply in one quart.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:40 am
Woodpuppy wrote:

In the end I stuck with bearing grease. I've used the Nano for other lube needs and on some knives that are pinned. I do think it's a fine line but I also think it's incredibly over priced since motor oil seems to be just as good and is significantly cheaper and you'll get 10 lifetimes supply in one quart.
So straight 5w or 20w-50? :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:45 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:40 am
Woodpuppy wrote:

So straight 5w or 20w-50? :D

Mobil 1 5w20 since that's what I already have in the garage for my car lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

That’ll work :p
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Nano Oil may seem overpriced but with the needle applicator, one tube should last a lifetime.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
FK

Post by FK »

Nano-Oil,,, I have a small bottle with applicator needle,,,, must be 3-4 years old.
Using it on my extensive Spyderco collection, new knife arrives,,, apply to all contact rubbing surfaces, pivot and light coating on blade surfaces then into storage. Users get monthly application. Not yet at 1/2 mark,,, yes rather expensive,,, dries up into nice film and does not leave residue like motor oils and grease,,, penetrates into pivot and washers,,, excellent results.

Regards,
FK
sok

Post by sok »

Anyone else a non lube user? If I have an issue with poor action, I just take my knife apart and clean it.

Just the other day, my Para 3 was being a little sluggish. I removed the pivot screw, washers, blade and one of the scale screws. I then swiveled the scale and liner around so that I could get to everything with a qtip.

In the last ten years or so, the closest I have gotten to using any kind of lube is if I drop my knife in the mud or get it wet, or get it grungy working on my truck. I drench it in WD40 and shake it and then dry it off with a rag. This is less for lubrication and more to clean it out and drive out moisture. I eventually take it apart and dry clean it.

Every once in a while I try the lube route, but I never really like it.

Even back in the day when all I carried were slip joints, every once in a while I would spray it down with WD and scrub it with a toothbrush and rinse with more WD40. I would shake it dry and wipe it down. Again, I didn’t do this particularly for the lube factor but for the clean factor. My toothbrush would taste funny for a couple of days, but what you gonna do?
JMM

Post by JMM »

I've used nano-oil or liberty oil on my knives for years and have never had a problem with either. Liberty oil is generally a bit more viscous than nano-oil, I know there are several flavours of both.

I generally reach in my knife tool box and whichever one I happen to grab is what gets used... don't have a negative thing to say about either product/brand/company.

Cheers,

John
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I have one in the mail, looking forward for using it. I don't think I will be able to see a big difference comparing to Ballistol, but you never know.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45