new Wayne Goddard Sprint...LOVE IT

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JonLeBlanc

new Wayne Goddard Sprint...LOVE IT

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Hello all, a while back I saw a Wayne Goddard Sprint included in a members' collection pic. I didn't recognize the model, but I liked the clean lines. So I bought one, yay! It's pretty awesome. Things I like:

-The general design; clean lines, nice blade-to-handle ratio, comfy ergos.

-Boye dent, yessss

-I was expecting the blade stock to be on the usual order of Seki-City thickness, but I'm pleased to see that it is a little thicker; I think this works well for a knife of this general design. I do like the thin sliciness of the Police/Delica etc, but this is nice.

-when I say this thing came sharp, I mean SHARP. Quite even grind lines too.

-VG-10; I've never owned it before, and now I do!

Basically, this is going to be one of my new favorites. I'll try to report back with future observations. Thanks Spyderco, and God bless Mr Goddard!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Jazz

Re: new Wayne Goddard Sprint...LOVE IT

Post by Jazz »

I’m curious of your future observations. I wish they’d have a medium sized PE sprint in FRN.
- best wishes, Jazz.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:46 pm
I’m curious of your future observations. I wish they’d have a medium sized PE sprint in FRN.
I’m liking what you are thinking.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

After just barely a day I find I like this knife more and more! It carries very slim, much like a Police or a Delica. The handle offers a full four-finger grip which, due to it's gentle sweep, seems to favor a rearward bias. The FRN with it's "volcano" surface is nice and grippy; I'm not one of those who think FRN is plasticky feeling. One thing I've noticed: the opening hole is the smaller-diameter variant (don't remember what the mm's are). I was under the impression that by 2013 virtually all full sized Spydies had the larger 14mm hole, but obviously I was incorrect. This doesn't bother me at all, it's really neither here nor there, just an observation. This Goddard has a bunch of nice touches; I like the rolled engraving of the "SPYDERCO VG-10" and "SEKI-CITY" and the blade finish is really nice! I'm a fan of fine blade finishes lol.

Perhaps most importantly, it has GREAT cutting performance. I only did a little testing (some paper, some cardboard, and a little plastic ties) but whoooo KAPOW lol. The edge was ultra ultra sharp out of the box, but I really think it's the geometry more than anything else. The blade almost seems to be a sort of Bowie style design, and looks as if it would make a great field dressing piece. Indeed, the edge side/belly is super close in shape to that of the Stretch, making me think that perhaps the Goddard was designed with field dressing in mind (?)

Never having owned it, I don't know too much about VG-10 other than the obvious (stainless, good all-around); can anyone give me just a quick n' dirty summary of it's characteristics?

Anyway, this knife is gonna be in my pocket A LOT. It's one of those knife purchases where one says to oneself "ahhhh now that's satisfying" lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
araneae

Post by araneae »

Jazz wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:46 pm
Yes please.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Handle was too big for Blade for me. Military works though. In that Goddard size, I like the E4 better
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Love the Goddard, awesome knife. More sprints por favor. 💃
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean