Spyderco Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mattc164

Spyderco Knives

Post by mattc164 »

I'm starting to amass a collection of pocket knives and bowie knives and I came upon this spyderco brand. What is the difference between spyderco and other brands? Is this really worth the high msrp? Are the quality of these knives really THAT much better? Or is it more of a novelty branded knife? In the same vain as a Lamborghini and a Chevy. Both do the intended job but a Lamborghini is a Lamborghini.

This is a sincere question and isn't meant to bash the brand, if the quality of the knives are really that good I would want to purchase some.

Thanks.
TazKristi

Re: Spyderco Knives

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, mattc164:
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Since your question is about us, I'm going to move it into the General Discussion area (instead of Off-Topic).

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

To me, its ergos and performance.
A spyderco will cut and slice like the dickens!
And, when I say performance, that's to include their heat treat.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

mattc164 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:31 am
This is a sincere question and isn't meant to bash the brand, if the quality of the knives are really that good I would want to purchase some.
I’ll start before the flood of accolades begins to flow. I’ll bet you can’t buy just “some”.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

To keep it short: yes they are worth the price, and yes they are of exceptional quality. Explore your options and have fun!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Many of the features you might love about your other pocket knives, were brought to market by Spyderco! Like the pocket clip or serrations. One of my favorites being the ability to open pocket knives with one hand! ;)

Their influence on the knife industry is unmatched and well reputed. You can be confident you’re getting what you pay for with Spyderco!
-Nick :bug-red
mattc164

Post by mattc164 »

Thank you for the replies.

Are there any EDC recommendations for a first time buyer?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

mattc164 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:31 am
I'm starting to amass a collection of pocket knives and bowie knives and I came upon this spyderco brand. What is the difference between spyderco and other brands? Is this really worth the high msrp? Are the quality of these knives really THAT much better? Or is it more of a novelty branded knife? In the same vain as a Lamborghini and a Chevy. Both do the intended job but a Lamborghini is a Lamborghini.

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum!

I think they are absolutely worth the price, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they will be worth it to you. I recommend you try a few designs that appeal to you and see what you think.

I will warn you though, if you buy one and like it, you may not be able to stop. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

They are so good, you can "feel" the action with your eyes closed. (designed in the dark)
Most important, the blades are designed to CUT and they do. More so than most knives.
Another important block here is, (as mentioned prior) is the HEAT TREAT Spyderco is careful to get the best out of a steel.
Some co's HT to reduce send backs.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

Get some and use them. You will see.
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

Every other production knife brand I've tried caters to the average user who doesn't care about the fine details and all the technical parts of high end knives.

Spyderco as a company are all knife nerds at heart and it shows... their products pay attention to the little details that mean a lot to some of us (crazy) knife people. On top of it their stuff is made to cut, be sharpened repeatedly and last long enough that if you ever wear one out you'll probably have no issues picking up a new one to keep serving you.

Also if you ever have an issue it'll be taken care of. The one time I had a problem with one of my knives Sal himself (the owner of Spyderco) reached out to me and had it sorted out. If that doesn't show a company that is proud of their product and backs it I dont know what does.

I'd say do some research and try a model that suits you. I'd be really surprised if you end up disappointed.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Look at the steels being used at the top end, typically you will never see steels like this available anywhere else in the world. Spyderco uses these steels all of the time. If you have even the slightest knowledge of steels you will be impressed at the selection.

They have a unique way of looking at the small folder, and it takes a while to see what they are doing. It is a very modern look at the drop point. Don't forget to look at the wharncliffe knives like the Yojimbo 2, it is a real slicer!

If those don't grab you, there are many traditional looking / styled knives.

There is generally something for everyone.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Welcome to the forum. :)

Spyderco knives are a class of there own.
When it comes to the msrp detail well i have it difficult giving a reply to that topic but i can say it is better or worse depending on the country you live in :)
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Once you go Spydie-hole, you never go back. All their knives are fantastic in their own ways, and offer exceptional value for what you get even with the price increase. Also, what other brand gives you access to top brass like Sal right here on the forum.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Few knifes that are cheaper (or more expensive) than Spyderco can cut as well some Spydercos, mostly due to blade geometry and ergos. Use a full flat ground Spyderco like the Delica4 or Paramiltary2 for a while and you may be hard pressed to disagree. The opener hole is genius, and their various steel offerings (for people that care) is second to none.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

There is too much to say, so I think it would be better to ask “what Spyderco knife of the size I like best most typifies all the essential Spyderco qualities” and then trying it out.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Everything in life comes down to how much diminishing returns you're ok with. You could be wearing those $10 shoes from Walmart but what you've got on are probably a bit more expensive right? Starbucks or Maxwell House? Gray Goose or the stuff in the plastic bottle at the gas station? Nobody can tell you if the money is worth it except you but obviously there are lots of us here that pay the price.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I often find that I’m dissatisfied with other makers. The action won’t be right. The lock up is wrong. The grind is poor. Many other makers seem to design and put into production without using the product for a while. Spyderco works out many of the small details before something is made. And then they go back and refine the design even more (cqi = constant quality improvement).

Some models may have design decisions that I may not like, but there is usually a reason.
Typically, they just work really well.

To the op, which models appeal to you? Maybe we can give you some feedback on those.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Steel options, fit & finish, action, and designed for use (ergos, grinds, spydie hole).
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Spyderco offers a wide variety of product prices, blade steels, scale materials, blade shapes, locking mechanisms, etc., etc., etc. Bottom line is the products are high quality at a fair price, with a lifetime warranty you can count on. Sure, it's a business with the end result of making money; however, what sets this Company apart is they sincerely care about the customer and do everything in their power to ensure customer stratification. Just my opinion, but you know what they say....... :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red