Spyderco Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hopweaver

Re: Spyderco Knives

Post by Hopweaver »

The hole! Easy one hand opening and closing. And the quality. Owning a Spyderco is a no brainer. Flip through the catalog and find one that meets your needs and give it a try. My guess is you will probably get rid most of your collection and focus on more Spyderco styles after that.

Some of the more popular models are the Manix 2, Paramilitary 2, Military, Dragonfly 2, Native, and Delica.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I found that as my tastes evolved and I learned more about what is important to a knife to me, Spyderco is the company that I find myself coming back to again and again.

I'd also like to say how much I enjoy this forum, which is a "product" of Spyderco and its commitment to its fans. First of all, this site is not hosted by one of the big tech companies. Nor it is it a private app (which means a Google search can surface the great conversations that take place here). The people here are friendly, helpful, enthusiastic, and smart. It is a positive place to be, and I know that Sal plays a big part in setting the tone for how we act here. I spend more time on here than anywhere where else when it comes to websites and knives. I love the fact that Sal welcomes new comers, listens to our complaints/suggestions, and caters to the very small but very vocal group that is obsessed with Spydercos.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Well to start with, there’s no reason to pay Msrp. Even after exchange rates, I can often purchase for less here in Canada.
Next, I wouldn’t necessarily say a Spyderco knife is “better” than their main competitors. They are different in some ways, more steel choices, more handle materials, clips, far more different handle and blade shapes and lock mechanisms. Some of the competition consistently put out quality knives on par with Spyderco as far as build quality and finishing is concerned but from what I’ve seen no where near the variety.
Personally I prefer Golden and Taichung Spydies, Japan is a step or two down when it comes to fit and finish. If you’re after higher quality keep that in mind.
The Spydie hole is much more than a novelty or gimmick. While it can make some of the knives look a little odd, it is a great opening method and no stud in the cutting path. At first I, like many, didn’t like the look of a hump on the blade accommodating the hole. But after using say a PM2, you come to appreciate and even like the design. Plus if you still don’t like the hump, there are a number of options without it. Amalgam, Ikuchi, and my favourite the Smock come to mind.
At the end of the day, in my mind, Spyderco as a company is “better” than the competition for a combination of quality and variety. However if you sit a Spyderco knife beside a competitor equivalent and compare them, the Spydie won’t necessarily come across as the clear cut superior knife. It will depend on personal preference in a lot of situations.
As a brand to collect, it is probably again “better” considering all the choices they offer. I hope you have a lot of room in your knife drawer, lol!
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Not a lot I can say that hasn't already been said. I have knives from several brands. I have way more Spydies than all of those other brands combined. Lots of different Spyderco models too. Their designs are very well thought out and just work for me. I'll also add that I really like Spyderco as a company. I like their philosophy and the way they do things. That's worth paying a little extra to me.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

As Spyderg said, don't pay msrp. You can find Spyderco for cheaper than that. But aside from that....

I was just in a knife store a few days ago, I won't mention the name of the company other than to say they are probably Spyderco's closest competition. With very similar prices. I wasn't impressed. I also handled some knives that I would consider the next step down from Spyderco. The price was right, but again, not really impressed.

Spyderco has top notch materials, steel, ergos, and function. When holding knives from other companies I often wonder if they thought they're customers were actually going to use the knife to cut things, as if function wasn't their first consideration.

Spyderco has some beautiful knives, but they aren't afraid to make an ugly knife if it works better than the pretty one :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

mattc164 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:31 am
I'm starting to amass a collection of pocket knives and bowie knives and I came upon this spyderco brand. What is the difference between spyderco and other brands? Is this really worth the high msrp? Are the quality of these knives really THAT much better? Or is it more of a novelty branded knife? In the same vain as a Lamborghini and a Chevy. Both do the intended job but a Lamborghini is a Lamborghini.

This is a sincere question and isn't meant to bash the brand, if the quality of the knives are really that good I would want to purchase some.

Thanks.
I think Spyderco makes some really nice knices for the money.

You don't have to pay MSRP. Retail websites sell the knives much cheaper than the prices pisted on the Spyderco site.

They cater to a wide price range as well. They have a budget line called Byrd, with quality knives in the $15-30 range. They have budget Spydercos in the $30-60 range. They have high quality Japanese, Italian and USA made folders in more exotic materials in the $45-150 range. They have top of the line offerings that push the boundaries of production knife making in the $200-500 range.

To answer your question, it's like combining the offerings of both Chevy AND Lamborghinis. There is something for everyone in their catalog. They also constantly collaborate with custom knife makers to produce prosuction versions of iconic designs.

My personal favorite Spyderco is the fully serrated Pacific Salt. Very light, very strong, amazing cutting performance and 100% rust proof.

Overall Spydercos tend to be very performance oriented. A lot of knife companies are willing to take shortcuts or sacrifice performance for flashy looks. Spyderco is known for their "designed in the dark" philosophy. Meaning their knives are designed to feel good in your hand and perform as a tool more than they are built to have sexy lines that appeal to the eye. They make look a little funny sometimes, but those funny looks always serve a practical purpose.
:unicorn
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Two things set Spyderco apart: the hole and the whole.
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

For a first Spyderco folder, I would recommend looking into the Para 3 Lighweight. For around $90 US street price, it incorporates many of the unique features Spyderco is known for (lightweight FRN scales, compression lock, left/right side wire clip, excellent ergos), and, is made in the US (If that is important to you).
Last edited by Catamount123 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

mattc164 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:30 am
Thank you for the replies.

Are there any EDC recommendations for a first time buyer?
To better answer this question:

What type of things do you typically do with your knife?

What is your environment? Do you need a stainless steel?

Do you have any blade length restrictions/requirements?

Budget?

...and as has been mentioned, watch out Spyderco knives are addicting. They're like potato chips hard to just have one. ;)
-Turbo
vivi

Post by vivi »

mattc164 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:30 am
Thank you for the replies.

Are there any EDC recommendations for a first time buyer?
What size blade would you like? Something small and compact, like 2.5 to 3"? A more general purpose size like 3.5"? Or something a little larger, with a 4"+ blade? Is your max budget $20, $50, $100 or $200? Does country of origin make a big difference to you? Do you want a folding knife or fixed blade?

I'm pretty sure the most popular introductory Spyderco is their Delica model.

It's a touch small for me though.

Here are some of my personal favorites in different price ranges:

$50 and under

Byrd Cara Cara

Spyderco Efficient

Spyderco Resilience

Spyderco UK Pen Knife (Non locking folder designed to be legal in europe)

$50-100

Spyderco Street Bowie

Spyderco Pacific Salt serrated (I carry one of these every single day, it can cut through anything and it cannot rust)

Spyderco Manix

Spyderco Stretch

$100-200

Spyderco Police 4 (The top knife)

Spyderco Waterway (bottom knife, another rust proof design)

Spyderco Manix XL version, with black blade

Spyderco Military (Available in a wide variety of handle colors and blade steels)

Spyderco Aqua Salt (rust proof)
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

My fellow forum members already gave you about any input I could, so let me just add:

I got into Spyderco without knowing anything about their background, history, philosophy, community and so on. About that things I learned only a lot later. So I was not biased at all.

I just got Spydercos in my hand, first a Delica, than an Endura 4 (the latter still one of my two favorite folders ever), At first I thought they would look a bit odd, not really "cool" or "what a real knife should look like" to be honest.
That changed very quickly when I actually used my Spydies (I've been carrying folders of other brands for quite some time before). They just felt "right", perfect for any cutting job and light and slim in the pocket.
Quite soon I began to love also the looks and design of their knives.
For several years now I exclusivly have Spydercos when it comes to quality folders, always around 10 to 12. My only non Spydie quality folder is a Benchmade Minigrip, which I keep primarily for nostalgic reasons.

I am not saying that other brands cannot make great knives either, I am sure they can. But for me Spyderco really gives me anything I could ever need.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Siggyboy

Post by Siggyboy »

Of course on such a forum you will get all positive feedback. But objectively, Spyderco is one of the best brands for folding knives on the market. For fixed blades I prefer other brands, but for modern folders Spyderco is hard to beat.

A couple of things make them stand out: functionality, intelligent design, large selection of different steels, excellent quality control, value for money, made in USA but also their lines made in Asia are top-notch, and Spyderco is just a good company that cares about its customers.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

My recommendation is to get a para 3 (3” blade) or a paramilitary 2 (3 1/2” blade). Compression lock. G10 handle. Made in America. Lots of sprints come floating along but the basic s30v models are great. And the price is right. These are the flagship to me. If you don’t like this, you won’t like spyderco.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Careful buddy, these seem to multiply fast. I'm new to spyderco too and just ordered my 13th after only about 3 months...no end in sight
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

One more thing regarding price. If you are a first responder, active duty military or a veteran you qualify for the op focus discount and can buy directly from the Spyderco website for 50% off MSRP. They charge for shipping unless you spend $150, but it's still ends up saving money on almost everything.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd say the difference is that most Spyderco knives seemed designed for function, rather than aesthetics. While fit and finish are quite good, I'd also say they are built more for ergonomics and function than fit and finish.

If I want aesthetics, I go with ZT. If I want functionality, I go with Spyderco.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Price range? Preferred locking mechanism? Size preference?

My gateway spydies were the Delicas and Dragonflys, as I prefer small to medium edc's, and both those models are very lightweight and affordable. Plus there are quite a few variations of steel choices, colors, scale materials, and even blade shapes to choose from.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
sal

Post by sal »

Hii Matt, Siggyboy,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

SF Native wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:19 pm
My recommendation is to get a para 3 (3” blade) or a paramilitary 2 (3 1/2” blade). Compression lock. G10 handle. Made in America. Lots of sprints come floating along but the basic s30v models are great. And the price is right. These are the flagship to me. If you don’t like this, you won’t like spyderco.
I couldn't disagree more. The Paramilitary 2 has never felt right in my hand, and the Para 3 is just okay. But the Native 5, Sage series, Chaparral, and Shaman feel like they were made for my hand. The beauty of Spyderco is that they have so many blade and handle shapes, and then they offer them in interesting, premium materials.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I couldn't see too many folding Spyders winning a beauty contest but they work as advertised. ;)

The fixed blades I have are exceptional knives that sit closer to custom than production knives. Without custom grinds of coarse. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin