Arghh...Manix 2 Side-To-Side Blade Play When Open

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DCJ

Arghh...Manix 2 Side-To-Side Blade Play When Open

Post by DCJ »

I picked up one of the Knifecenter Manix 2 Cruwear sprints, and the one I got is perfectly centered and drops freely, but with slight, but noticeable (for a knife nut), side-to-side blade play when open. I have a number of PM2s where the side-to-side blade play, if any, when open is so slight it feels as if you are almost imagining it, so I don't care (and maybe it's just flex). This is more than that; you can actually see the tang of the blade wiggling a very tiny bit. All that said, the reality is that in every day use, this is a nothing, and maybe I shouldn't care about this play, either.

After reading all the posts about about the construction of the Manix 2s (similar to the PM2s), it seems that tightening down the pivot screw likely won't make any difference, particularly as this is a new knife. I'm thinking of returning the knife, so am not going to do anything to it unless I decide to keep it.

My question is: It seems that some owners experience their Manix 2s breaking in over time in a way that reduces side-to-side blade play. If that's the case, I'll take my chances. If not, I may return it and order another one to see if I have better luck with the second. Thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Arghh...Manix 2 Side-To-Side Blade Play When Open

Post by Doc Dan »

None Of mine have ever had any blade play. You might try loosening and then re-tightening all of the scale screws. If that doesn’t work I would send it back pronto.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Why do you think adjusting the screws won’t help? Torque everything down, then loosen the pivot screw until the blade is movable.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

My M2's have started fairly tight, but broken in to a nice drop-free over time, and had no side to side play. I wonder if you should tighten the pivot to reduce the play, then break it in and lubricate it?
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I have had many Manix 2s, and never once had any side to side or up and down wiggle. Its a very solid fit usually, so this sounds concerning.
ferider

Post by ferider »

Pivot screw is loose, likely the one on the clip side. And yes - tightening the screw will fix it. Don't forget loctite.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

To remove the side to side play you might have to sand down the bushing. It'll void your warranty though. Bushings are good but sometimes this happens.

If you think it's a problem though you should either exchange it or send it in to spyderco.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I guess I've been lucky with all my Manix 2's to never have an issue. That sucks with Sprints/Exclusives too because once they're gone, they're gone. So if you send it back you might not get a replacement.
DCJ

Post by DCJ »

OP here: I decided to keep the knife. After taking it out several times, I realized the side-to-side blade "play" is really minimal (more than the knife just flexing, but something you really have to be looking for to feel), and it's something not worth the hassle of exchanging. (Frankly, I also feel it's not fair to the retailer when the knife, objectively, is fine.) I'll see how it breaks in over time and responds to the screws/pivots being adjusted. I accept that it may be the bushing and nothing short of sanding/filing it down will completely eliminate what I'm feeling, but that's fine. At the end of the day, I want to use the knife, and this not going to affect that.

Thanks for all of the replies!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It takes practice but I only have one knife that I can't completely dial in to that sweat spot where there's no significant blade play and the blade drops freely and that's my Rock Lobster (actually make that two, my original Paramilitary is impossible to dial in). On a lot of knives the adjustment needs to be ridiculously small and from my experience even with thread locker they eventually loosen up after some use and need tuned up now and then. I usually set them so they're just a wee bit tighter than I want so that it requires a little wrist flick to close them, so that when they do start loosening up they settle into the sweet spot rather than becoming too loose.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

Adjusting the pivot screw will absolutely make a difference. Ideally I would remove both pivot screws, add loctite, carefully tune it from both sides, so that it's smooth, and centered, with no play. You should be able to get very close to a dropshut action with no play in either direction, even in a new knife.
sovereign

Post by sovereign »

ferider wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:52 am
Pivot screw is loose, likely the one on the clip side. And yes - tightening the screw will fix it. Don't forget loctite.
I have the new KC Cruwear Manix XL and it has horizontal play. Loosening and then re-tightening all screws and it is still there. What else would be the likely culprit? A burr, etc.? I have no qualms about taking it apart if I know what to look for. I REALLY do not want to send this to warranty.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Sounds so reassuring that two have posted same problem with the KC Exclusive XL . Anyone else have this problem ? I have two different variations that came rock solid and have thought about the KC Exclusive XL but not sure if I want to go down that road again with KC . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

If it has play even when completely tightened it's always possible that the "bushing pivot" part of the pivot assembly is slightly thicker than the blade. Then, no matter how tight You screw it down, the handles and washers won't clamp down on the blade and there will be play. Hard to fix it, You would have to slightly sand down just the larger-diameter-part of the pivot.

I did this once on a Manix I had but it was nerve-wracking
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

DCJ wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:49 pm
After reading all the posts about about the construction of the Manix 2s (similar to the PM2s), it seems that tightening down the pivot screw likely won't make any difference, particularly as this is a new knife.

That's the problem with forums on the interwebs, and the challenge for those seeking to use the medium to slake their thirst at the fount of knowledge.

In the old days, any fool could get a soap box and go stand out in the town square spouting to his heart's content. After the invention of the printing press, all it took was a few bucks to publish crackpot notions. Nowadays, from the comfort of mom's basement, any kook can spread their half-baked ideas to billions of people for virtually no cost whatsoever.

Luckily, you've come to the right place, the place where the most erudite knifeologists come to discuss ergonomics, materials, and bask in the glory of the ghost.

Hopefully you'll soon get your Manix adjusted properly and get to the business of slicing and dicing all things that need to be sliced and diced.
sovereign

Post by sovereign »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:07 am
DCJ wrote:
After reading all the posts about about the construction of the Manix 2s (similar to the PM2s), it seems that tightening down the pivot screw likely won't make any difference, particularly as this is a new knife.

That's the problem with forums on the interwebs, and the challenge for those seeking to use the medium to slake their thirst at the fount of knowledge.

In the old days, any fool could get a soap box and go stand out in the town square spouting to his heart's content. After the invention of the printing press, all it took was a few bucks to publish crackpot notions. Nowadays, from the comfort of mom's basement, any kook can spread their half-baked ideas to billions of people for virtually no cost whatsoever.

Luckily, you've come to the right place, the place where the most erudite knifeologists come to discuss ergonomics, materials, and bask in the glory of the ghost.

Hopefully you'll soon get your Manix adjusted properly and get to the business of slicing and dicing all things that need to be sliced and diced.
I can't tell from your post, but are you implying that simply tightening the pivot on my new Manix 2 XL will remove blade play?
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

No issues whatsoever with my Manix XL Cruwear from Knifecenter :cheap-sunglasses
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

sovereign wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:35 pm
RustyIron wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:07 am
DCJ wrote:

I can't tell from your post, but are you implying that simply tightening the pivot on my new Manix 2 XL will remove blade play?
I’m not RustyIron, but in the approximately 12 Manix 2s I’ve had all were able to adjust out blade play and change how loose or tight the blade swings with simply adjusting the pivot. In your case where you say you adjusted all the screws in the whole knife it sounds like that wasn’t the case for you.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

sovereign wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:35 pm
I would have suggested that you can adjust the play with the pivot screw, but couldn't say it in a way that would differentiate my opinion from all the other internet expert's opinions. They say no. I say yes. Luckily, it takes less time to try it out for yourself than it does to read this post. Just do it, and then you'll know for sure.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If the rest of the body screws are not tightened properly they can create binding, and while that may not be the source of blade play it sure isn't helping the pivot to move freely. So in other words if you can't find the sweet spot on the pivot screw and it seems like it's either blade play or tight pivot, you may find that the body is binding up and is out of parallel causing stiffness in the pivot.

It's funny how people don't seem to make the connection between an off center blade and scales being out of parallel. I know blade centering isn't the focus of this thread but it's all connected.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David