Spydies you consider selling or passing on one day

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Spydies you consider selling or passing on one day

Post by archangel »

Inspired by my other recent thread...

I guess many of you don't keep all your knives forever. Either you're not happy, or you need the cash, or for any other reason you get rid of them. I have in addition a very personal reason for selling spydies: to make room for another spydie, in order to keep up my collection rule. :p

I sold many spydies that have been replaced by others. The Centofante 3 will be the next one, it needs to go to make room for the Battlestation which is I hope (I have little to no doubt) much more to my liking.

After this, there's basically only one more that remains on my virtual "to be replaced" list. I'd love to own an Autonomy 1 some day, but for that I will have to let go my Pacific Salt. Those who remember well know that I'm no big fan of FRN light models, and despite the fact that the Pacific is a great knife for tough jobs, the Advocate seems to play in a different / higher league. For the Japan-made FRN models that I already own, the plan is to replace the FRN scales, once I have the funds and the balls to do it. ;) The FRN scales on UKPK and Urban are actually quite nice. I really can't explain why I dislike the Endura / Delica / Calypso / Pacific FRN scales. But back to topic...

Do you have a virtual or real "to be sold some day" list? Care to share it with us, and why that poor spydie will have to go?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Evil D

Re: Spydies you consider selling or passing on one day

Post by Evil D »

I have a list that I could part with but I hate the idea of losing money on them because they're all used. I would rather hang onto them for my son someday. I do have a few sprints and exclusives I'm thinking about parting with that are mint and never used but I also hate the selling process so unless I found someone relatively local that I could deal with face to face I'd probably not bother.

But you answer your question a little better, some knives I initially bought that just didn't work for me are the Manix 2, Military, Delica, and eventually the Para 2. I did eventually develop a love for the Military and Manix 2 but I've sold my Delicas and my only Para 2 is a heavily used sprint that I paid ridiculous money for so I may as well keep it.
Last edited by Evil D on Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

This is a good question. As of this moment, there is absolutely nobody I would pass my knives down to. Because nobody else in my family is into knives, especially modern one-handlers like Spydercos. My brother and his wife carry the Victorinox Classic SAKs I gave them one Christmas, but they aren't "knife people."

I suppose someday I would sell them off, or at least the lesser-used ones. But TBH, I haven't thought much about it.

Jim
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

My P'kal was on my list for a while, because I don't often carry it, but I like it so much I've taken it off the list. I think Im going to sell my Para 3 M390 and my Rhino soon, so I can pick up the Dodo and the Next Shaman sprint. The Para 3 doesn't get carried and everyones all about M390 now so I figured it will be an easy sell, the Rhino just never clicked with me, I carry my small knives on my left and it's not the best knife for lefties.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
40mm

Post by 40mm »

I sell everything. Even stuff that I really like. Weird? Maybe, but it helps me from getting attached to material crap and keeps this all in perspective. I can get by most days without a pocket knife at all and could probably be just fine with a Victorinox Classic. In reality for ME having just one knife is good enough and I'm lucky that I have the luxury of buying a "good" or "cool" knife. On that note I just sold my Salt D'fly that I've had so much fun with. Not because I started to not like it, but because I sold it to someone that I'd thought would really love it as well.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I don't sell anything, so probably none. I'll pass them along to my kids.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Not much for selling, but passing on for sure.

I bought a bunch, gave some away, bought more, bought more of favorite models. As of now, I slowed down with the purchases quite a bit. I may give more away, but not planning on selling.

At this point, if I buy another Spyderco, it will have to be something new. That has been the case with me for a while now. Ikuchi, for example.

I have the knives I want. I have multiple of my favorite models (in different steel and handles) and really not planning on buyhing more unless they come with some exotic materials. Planned future puchases - LW Caly, Shaman sprint/exclusive, Chief sprint/exclusive, something brand new which appeals to me.
Peter
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I recently sold a few base models and a couple sprints that I had duplicates on to help fund some other stuff I wanted. I have some other sprints and exclusives that I might let go of to help fund a hotter laptop but can't decide on which ones I want to part with. Don't want to have seller's remorse later on haha. Anything that's left when I'm gone someday will go to my son and/or my brothers.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Among the pieces I own now, none. But that's not to say it couldn't happen one day, with some model...
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:45 pm
I recently sold a few base models and a couple sprints that I had duplicates on to help fund some other stuff I wanted. I have some other sprints and exclusives that I might let go of to help fund a hotter laptop but can't decide on which ones I want to part with. Don't want to have seller's remorse later on haha. Anything that's left when I'm gone someday will go to my son and/or my brothers.
I definitely have sellers remorse over the three I let go, Cruwear Para3, Hap40 Delica sprint, and Damascus FRN Delica. Wish I had held onto them...... BUT if I hadn't sold them I wouldn't have gotten my hands on the Shaman and Lil Native, and Rex45 Para3 all of which I Love.

Ideally I'd just have a bigger knife budget :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Sold a bunch already, buying is the hard part (making up your mind). If a knife doesn't get used or I grow to dislike a certain aspect of it, it's gone.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I typically only sell when my tastes change (can take a while for that to happen) or when I need to scrape up cash for a new purchase. I had a few quite nice LE or first production run Benchmades while I was into them, but I moved on and sold most of them off. The spyders I have now are all users so I don’t really anticipate liquidating, and with 4 kids many were bought with the idea I’d hand them down. My 4yo son Wyatt has already claimed the blue delica. The purple dragonfly and pink delica were intended for my girls. Frankly I look at the delicas as potential gifts to get worthy folks onto a good knife path.

Lately I find myself looking at SAKs again. The Fieldmaster in particular... I got the Camper back in Scouts and it’s still going strong. Also really like the Compact, and some of the alox models. At some point we’ll be getting the kids their own SAKs. For now we will work on basic skills with the pair of Moras I got them.

/ramble mode off
Sober_Survival

Post by Sober_Survival »

I have 2 sets (Delica & Endura) of the MD SuperGold sprint run (or whatever you want to call it...). They are still in the mailing package they came in, in a safe for my sons later in life. I have a hard time selling any of my knives, but have sold a few that I just didn't want. Of my 36 Spydies, 33 are NIB.
There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15.13
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Sober_Survival wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:43 pm
I have 2 sets (Delica & Endura) of the MD SuperGold sprint run (or whatever you want to call it...). They are still in the mailing package they came in, in a safe for my sons later in life
You owe it to yourself to open one and try it.

The Super Gold has really impressed me so far. I'm not normally a Delica/Endura guy, but the SG is impressive enough that I've been carrying the Delica.

I'd _LOVE_ to see the Police 4 sprinted in this steel. :)
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I have all of the blurple g10 s110v models and I'm thinking about letting those go. I've fallen out of love with that steel. I'm thinking of letting my Rhino go. Maybe my Manix lockback. My ZDp189 and hap40 pakkawood Enduras. One of my unused backup serrated delica wharncliffes. I have quite a few Spydies and there's some that just don't fit anymore.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Sober_Survival

Post by Sober_Survival »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:34 pm
Sober_Survival wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:43 pm
I have 2 sets (Delica & Endura) of the MD SuperGold sprint run (or whatever you want to call it...). They are still in the mailing package they came in, in a safe for my sons later in life
You owe it to yourself to open one and try it.

The Super Gold has really impressed me so far. I'm not normally a Delica/Endura guy, but the SG is impressive enough that I've been carrying the Delica.

I'd _LOVE_ to see the Police 4 sprinted in this steel. :)

Oh I have my own set to play with lol. (I bought 3 total). I absolutely LOVE the Sg! I got 'gold' titanium scale screws, and matching clip for the delica. Once I figure out how to post a picture on here, I'll show you what it looks like.
There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15.13
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

The bulk of my knives will go to my oldest son - he inherited the knife-nut gene. Others will go to my youngest son due to associated memories - he appreciates knives as a tool. A couple will go to my wife to remember me by. Still others will go to close friends of mine. Lastly, a small few will be left at spots that hold special significance to me.
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

Slysz bowie- seems to big to me now and people seem to really like them.
Techno 1- blade stock too thick to do any real cutting tasks.
Spydie Chef- angle of clip and geometry of handle don't feel good in my hand.
Gayle Bradley 1- I have 2, thought I'd need a backup, but currently favor smaller, lighter knives.
Domino- great action, even upgraded the bearings, but now feel it's too large. Favor smaller knives now.
Southard- cool knife, but thick stock limits the usefulness in my opinion.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

So about that Slysz....
Ric

Post by Ric »

Some duplicates and models i do not like so much might be gifted to a friend.
E.g. mantra 3.

I try to purchase knife that are keepers...