Which locks can you easily close one handed?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which locks can you easily unlock with one hand?

Lockback
13%
Liner lock
13%
Frame lock
12%
Compression lock
15%
Ball bearing lock
7%
Caged ball bearing lock
12%
Slipjoint
9%
Bolt action lock
7%
Phantom lock
5%
Friction folder
7%

Total votes: 419

bearfacedkiller

Re: Which locks can you easily close one handed?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

All
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I haven’t tried al of Spyderco’s locks yet but I’m sure the few I haven’t tried would not be a problem. :D
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:14 am
You'd think. But the number of posts I've seen where people have trouble with lockbacks, cbbl etc. is pretty crazy.

Even looking at the poll it's weird that liner locks score a few points higher than framelocks. Huh? Unlocking them is the same.

Another thing that I always felt was weird are left handed comp lock knives. I've always felt comp locks were ambidextrous. Never thought twice about closing my old Para 2 left handed.
I think this depends on your hands too. I have small hands and have a hard time getting a secure grip on the handle while manipulating a backlock or BBL (either). I can close either 1-handed, but not easily. Comp lock and liner lock are easy because they require 1 finger (or thumb) and little force, so it is easy to keep a secure grip on the handle. Framelocks are sometimes easy, but tend to be much thicker than liners and require more force to move. So ease of closing depends on the specific model.

I think the important question is not ease of closing, but ease of safely closing.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I voted for 8/10. I was never able to close the BBL of the Dodo very well, and I have no experience with the friction folder.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

6 out of 10. The other 4 I haven't handled.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

xceptnl wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:07 pm
I voted for 8/10. I was never able to close the BBL of the Dodo very well, and I have no experience with the friction folder.
I always had to use the two finger pinch on the regular bbl that most folks use with every iteration of the ball lock. When the P'kal came out I started going with just the thumb.
:unicorn
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Have any of you accidentally cut yourself while trying to close a knife with one hand? I almost cut myself doing that when I tried to close a folder (Non Spyderco) with a back-lock, one handed. To do it safely, or as safely as I can, I usually use my leg or some other object as a brace to slowly push the blade closed, once I disengage the lockback.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

A hundred times probably but never severely
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
vivi

Post by vivi »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:04 pm
Have any of you accidentally cut yourself while trying to close a knife with one hand? I almost cut myself doing that when I tried to close a folder (Non Spyderco) with a back-lock, one handed. To do it safely, or as safely as I can, I usually use my leg or some other object as a brace to slowly push the blade closed, once I disengage the lockback.
No.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Vivi, what about the Ring-Lock?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
SEF, I may point you to page six of the "Endela-thread% (here is the link . viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83925&start=100).
There, in addition to what Vivi shows in his vid, I describe two methods (method 5.) and 6.) in my post) that make it really almost impossible to cut yourself when closing a backlock, especially method 6.)

Though I honestly never did cut myself closing a backlock one handed, regardless of which way to do it I chose.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
SEF, I may point you to page six of the "Endela-thread (here is the link, you have to scroll down almost to the end of the page viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83925&start=100).
There, in addition to what Vivi shows in his vid, I describe two methods (method 5.) and 6.) in my post) that make it really almost impossible to cut yourself when closing a backlock, especially method 6.)

Though I honestly never did cut myself closing a backlock one handed, regardless of which way to do it I chose.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:28 pm
The Opinel lock? Hasn't ever been an issue for me, though when the wood handles swell from moisture it can take a lot of force to get them to close. Gotta be careful in those situations.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:35 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
The Opinel lock?
https://youtu.be/1LofGbw85iY
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:39 pm
Vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:35 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
The Opinel lock?
https://youtu.be/1LofGbw85iY
Oh, I haven't handled an Okapi in about 15 years. I don't recall having any safety issues, but the blade on mine slammed into the handle pin when it closed, which is why I gave it away.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:46 pm
Oh, I haven't handled an Okapi in about 15 years. I don't recall having any safety issues, but the blade on mine slammed into the handle pin when it closed, which is why I gave it away.
I've never even seen one I don't think. I actually googled to see what it was and came up with this. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

CBBL, Frame, Back, Compression, Liner for sure, some others I've never tried or handled.