I love my Police 4 and re Boye dent

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
JonLeBlanc
Member
Posts: 912
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 8:00 am
Location: Louisiana

I love my Police 4 and re Boye dent

Postby JonLeBlanc » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:04 pm

Hi all, I made a post not long ago about my new Police4, and a coupla' few of you were interested in hearing further feedback, so I thought I'd make a new post especially to highlight an issue that I think is important. First, the knife is great; I really do find that the extra reach of the long blade does come in handy at work. K390 is just awesome. Also, the more I carry insanely large folders like this and the Military, the more smaller models like the Para3 seem rather too small. But one thing specific to this knife that I would like to talk about is the lack of a Boye dent. In my experience, it really does make a difference. I close my Stretch2 (with dent) and the closing action is fluid, the effort is less, and the pressure on my thumb is much mitigated. I don't mean to say that the action is not good on my Police, but I can tell a real difference in comfort and effort between the knife with a dent and the one without. So, just one guy's thoughts to Spyderco when considering future models; I know there may be other considerations. Lovin' this Police though, such a machine :cool:
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara

User avatar
Jazz
Member
Posts: 7304
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: I love my Police 4 and re Boye dent

Postby Jazz » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:36 pm

I love and prefer the dent.
- best wishes, Jazz.

User avatar
Vivi
Member
Posts: 6061
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: I love my Police 4 and re Boye dent

Postby Vivi » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:53 pm

I enjoyed the dent on my Police 3. I enjoy the lack of one on my Police 4. Both work fine for me. My Police 4 is smoother and easier to operate overall.

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 2963
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: I love my Police 4 and re Boye dent

Postby steelcity16 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:34 pm

Jazz wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:36 pm

I love and prefer the dent.

+1 Dents for days. All back locks should have them. Really disappointed the Police LW doesn't.
:spyder: NEED MORE CRUWEAR :spyder:

User avatar
Vivi
Member
Posts: 6061
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: I love my Police 4 and re Boye dent

Postby Vivi » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:48 pm

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:34 pm
Jazz wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:36 pm

I love and prefer the dent.

+1 Dents for days. All back locks should have them. Really disappointed the Police LW doesn't.
Takes about 5 minutes to add one. 1 minute with power tools. I added one to the original C95 Manix with a low grit ceramic sharpening rod. Something to consider!

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 2963
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: I love my Police 4 and re Boye dent

Postby steelcity16 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:55 pm

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:48 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:34 pm
Jazz wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:36 pm

I love and prefer the dent.

+1 Dents for days. All back locks should have them. Really disappointed the Police LW doesn't.

Takes about 5 minutes to add one. 1 minute with power tools. I added one to the original C95 Manix with a low grit ceramic sharpening rod. Something to consider!

I know, and I am plenty capable and have all of the tools, I just HATE modding my Spydies at all. I think I have borderline OCD when it comes to stuff like this. I had some where I swapped scales, dyed scales, etc and while they looked awesome it really bothered me for some reason that they weren't stock. Ended up selling them and all of the ones I own now are un-modded.
:spyder: NEED MORE CRUWEAR :spyder:

User avatar
Vivi
Member
Posts: 6061
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: I love my Police 4 and re Boye dent

Postby Vivi » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:58 pm

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:55 pm
Vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:48 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:34 pm
Jazz wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:36 pm

I love and prefer the dent.

+1 Dents for days. All back locks should have them. Really disappointed the Police LW doesn't.

Takes about 5 minutes to add one. 1 minute with power tools. I added one to the original C95 Manix with a low grit ceramic sharpening rod. Something to consider!

I know, and I am plenty capable and have all of the tools, I just HATE modding my Spydies at all. I think I have borderline OCD when it comes to stuff like this. I had some where I swapped scales, dyed scales, etc and while they looked awesome it really bothered me for some reason that they weren't stock. Ended up selling them and all of the ones I own now are un-modded.
I feel like posting a picture of my Ark now haha. It'd be nails on a chalkboard for ya :D

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 12170
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: I love my Police 4 and re Boye dent

Postby sal » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:15 pm

Hi Jon,

Thanx for the kind words on the design and for your preference on the dent. I'll watch the thread for future designs. If you decide to add one, open the blade until the lock bar is at its lowest point, then mark the arc on the lock bar in that position, then open the blade and you will see that the dent is not symmetrical with the cavity in the handle but more in line with the depth of the lock bar when half open.

sal

Bill1170
Member
Posts: 1772
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:34 pm
Location: San Diego North County

Re: I love my Police 4 and re Boye dent

Postby Bill1170 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:17 am

Another vote for the Boye dent. I find it superior to backlocks without one. Comfort, safety, ease of manipulation are all better with the dent.

User avatar
ChrisinHove
Member
Posts: 1920
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:12 am
Location: England, still in the EU.

Re: I love my Police 4 and re Boye dent

Postby ChrisinHove » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:09 am

I’m looking forward to the LW. I’m just too rust-averse for the K390!

User avatar
JonLeBlanc
Member
Posts: 912
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 8:00 am
Location: Louisiana

Re: I love my Police 4 and re Boye dent

Postby JonLeBlanc » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:08 am

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:15 pm
Hi Jon,

Thanx for the kind words on the design and for your preference on the dent. I'll watch the thread for future designs. If you decide to add one, open the blade until the lock bar is at its lowest point, then mark the arc on the lock bar in that position, then open the blade and you will see that the dent is not symmetrical with the cavity in the handle but more in line with the depth of the lock bar when half open.

sal
Oh thanks sir for the response (and everyone else); I wouldn't have considered that if I had tried to put in a dent myself, so thanks, but to be honest I'm kinda wary of doing any "structural" type mods like that on my own. And am I correct that such a mod would void the warranty?
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara

User avatar
p_atrick
Member
Posts: 480
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:35 pm
Location: Boston Area

Re: I love my Police 4 and re Boye dent

Postby p_atrick » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:46 am

sal wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:15 pm
Hi Jon,

Thanx for the kind words on the design and for your preference on the dent. I'll watch the thread for future designs. If you decide to add one, open the blade until the lock bar is at its lowest point, then mark the arc on the lock bar in that position, then open the blade and you will see that the dent is not symmetrical with the cavity in the handle but more in line with the depth of the lock bar when half open.

sal
I remember a few years ago when people got up in arms over the belief that disassembly would void your warranty. Some really unfair opinions were formed/shared about Spyderco. But here we are; Sal is giving advice to those who want to see the Boye dent on their P4 LW.

User avatar
Jazz
Member
Posts: 7304
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: I love my Police 4 and re Boye dent

Postby Jazz » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:03 am

Don’t make the dent too deep either, or you won’t be able to push the bar far enough down to clear the lock. Very important.
- best wishes, Jazz.

User avatar
Deadboxhero
Member
Posts: 1048
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:35 am

Re: I love my Police 4 and re Boye dent

Postby Deadboxhero » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:22 pm

Mines gotten enough wear and pocket time that I can see the outline of where I can put a boye detent :D
Image
Big Brown Bear
[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston[/ur]
Triple B Handmade Knives

User avatar
Enactive
Member
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:19 pm
Location: Wet side of Washington

Re: I love my Police 4 and re Boye dent

Postby Enactive » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:25 pm

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:22 pm
Mines gotten enough wear and pocket time that I can see the outline of where I can put a boye detent :D
Image
Nice, Shawn! Also super eager to see your collab design!


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 40mm, blendergasket, Bloke, Buddafucco, camvdcs, Doeswhateveraspidercan, Enactive, Google [Bot], jpm2, legOFwhat?, Lumpy620, MSN [Bot], Robbob, Supacede, The Meat man, Theldraskien, Vivi and 35 guests