Why all the Manix love?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Why all the Manix love?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:55 pm
the manix 2 is the best pocket knife ever made. it's comfortable in every grip (easily better than the pm2). it has a great versatile blade shape. it's got a strong lock. it's narrow at the top of the pocket. it can only be improved with a rustproof steel and screws on the lw version.

that being said, i'm glad it's less popular. if it were more popular, it would be more expensive. so, everyone keep liking the pm2 and shaman more and i'll be over here happy with a superior knife design and more money in my wallet.
You may be onto something there with that pricing thing. I've always wondered why the sprints/exclusives are a good $20-$40 cheaper than the same version in a PM2. I thought maybe it was because of the lock...if popularity is the reason, I'm right on board with you! Keep scooping up those PM2's everybody haha.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

It's a bit big for me for EDC but I still own several G10 and LW variants and wow, combine the ergos and the CBBL and what a terrific knife.
jdw

Post by jdw »

All that you have to do is handle a Manix in a real life situation in the woods and your question becomes moot.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

inversion wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:27 am
I like the Manix, and made the conscious decision to NOT get into them. Still, I somehow ended up with five.

They don't get much carry time because I prefer deep carry, and the Lynch clips I have around sit too high. What clips are the best for the Manix 2? The MXG look like they sit nicely.

Recommendations?
I don't have manix anymore, but I had an mxg clip on mine when I did. It was a clip sized for the pm2 I believe and it sat extremely deep. The whole knife disappeared in my pocket. It was great.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Dazen wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:04 am
I like to carry a knife that when I take it out around people, that may not necessarily be into knives, say that’s a nice knife. ...
Am I wrong and do I just need to give in and buy one to experience the wonder of the Manix?
You've never handled a Manix 2 because you're worried people won't be impressed by the looks of it? I think you should probably re-evaluate why you want people to be impressed by your knives.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

zhyla wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:17 pm
Dazen wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:04 am
I like to carry a knife that when I take it out around people, that may not necessarily be into knives, say that’s a nice knife. ...
Am I wrong and do I just need to give in and buy one to experience the wonder of the Manix?
You've never handled a Manix 2 because you're worried people won't be impressed by the looks of it? I think you should probably re-evaluate why you want people to be impressed by your knives.
That is a bit strange. I've been carrying my wife's purple Ladybug on my keys the past 2 weeks while her car is being repaired and she didn't feel like switching it to her rental keys. I'm certainly not trying to impress anybody with it hahaha. I wanted to see how it was to use in daily situations...so far, it feels kind of novelty, but fun none the less.

-Rick
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

I love my Manixes. The ergos are fantastic, the CBBL is ambidextrous and IMO fidget friendly, and the usual hump on the spine is less pronounced for those who care about such things (which I did early in my knife journey, but less so now). My LW makes for a good lightweight backup/loaner knife, but if showy is what you're after I think my Manix 2 in CPMS90V/CPM154 laminate with peel ply CF handles makes for a pretty neat showpiece. The only downside for me is the width in pocket, but I don't mind. I can still fit a Manix and a Pixel XL in my pocket and they carry just fine.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

No luv from this camp...sold it in less than a week. Cbbl lock is not for me...
jdw

Post by jdw »

Hey Cowboy, clean the fat out after skinning. The Manix tends to lock after opening.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:53 pm
No luv from this camp...sold it in less than a week. Cbbl lock is not for me...
Nor me, but the Manix Backlock made me sell my Shaman .....
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:50 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:35 am
.. I HATE the CBBL, it should be burned at the stake and sealed away for all eternity. .
How come? Any reasoning? No offense, I am asking just out of interest, cause for one I really like the CBBL and then I could not imagine to literally HATE any lock Spyderco makes..
Because It is very difficult for me to manipulate. Unreasonably stiff and awkward.

To open one I have to plant the butt of the handle into my palm in order to get the leverage needed to disengage the lock. The BBL isn't as bad, except for the fact that my fingers are too big to get down into the opening to disengage it. 100% GARBAGE.

The Dodo is the only knife I tolerate it on. That's how good the Dodo is. I wish they would make a Compression lock version of the Dodo, so I would never have to touch another CBBL/BBL.

The only BBL I own is a WTC knife(sans inlay) that I payed $20 for at a pawn shop... It's in the for sale pile.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:57 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
.. I HATE the CBBL, it should be burned at the stake and sealed away for all eternity. .
How come? Any reasoning? No offense, I am asking just out of interest, cause for one I really like the CBBL and then I could not imagine to literally HATE any lock Spyderco makes..
Because It is very difficult for me to manipulate. Unreasonably stiff and awkward.

To open one I have to plant the butt of the handle into my palm in order to get the leverage needed to disengage the lock. The BBL isn't as bad, except for the fact that my fingers are too big to get down into the opening to disengage it. 100% GARBAGE.

The Dodo is the only knife I tolerate it on. That's how good the Dodo is. I wish they would make a Compression lock version of the Dodo, so I would never have to touch another CBBL/BBL.

The only BBL I own is a WTC knife(sans inlay) that I payed $20 for at a pawn shop... It's in the for sale pile.
Sometimes I read something so.....silly, I can't tell if you guys are trolling or serious.

https://streamable.com/scu88 - all three unlocks done with just my thumb on the tab. I never use a second finger on the back side tab.

Ya'll need stronger thumbs apparently Image
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

*takes back after detailed reply*
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

-Rick
attila

Post by attila »

I prefer the CBBL over all other locks because it is so easy to use, fidget friendly, ambidextrous, very strong, and has self closing like a backlock. I want more models, bigger and smaller, with the CBBL.

Mine don't disengage as easily as Vivi's, but I've can disengage all of mine with one thumb. I also often pinch the two sides of the cage between index and thumb to release the lock.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
vivi

Post by vivi »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:38 am
I guess I'm in the minority. Trying to use the Manix this past year has resulted in sore hands. Same reason I never used it as my work knife when I needed one. It feels fine when I'm just holding it, but when I'm really using it, all that jimping digs in and the flatness of the knife falls short with me. The Manix backlock is a bit better because it lacks handle jimping but even then it is very blocky and without contours. So Idk, I feel like tue Manix could work for my hand but won't in the way it is currently made. Otherwise, I like the look, the blade, and the lock.
I really don't like the jimping either. I sold my first XL because the jimping is so over the top, especially for a knife with such a secure handle shape. There really is no need.

The DLC version has coated liners, and the coating makes the jimping feel a little less sharp. One of the reasons I've held on to my DLC XL and sold the satin ones I owned.
Last edited by vivi on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Dazen wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:23 pm
I guess I’m always looking for a knife that checks as many boxes it can:

Can take whatever I throw at it (outdoors or saltwater)
High end materials/gentlemen’s knife
Ergonomic
Preferably 3.5 plus inch blades
Fidget factor (comp lock)
Preferably a Spyderco

I use my all my knives no matter the cost. They eventually all go to my boys who end up loosing/breaking them in the long run.

I wasn’t keen on the Shaman when it first came out but the CF S90V fit the bill. Just debating if the Manix could do the same eventually.
Manix XL checks all those boxes IMO.

The DLC Manix XL is the only Spyderco I've owned that ISN'T a salt, that I've never rusted. Any G10/S30V knife with an uncoated blade and liners, I rust.

3mm is more than thick enough for the outdoors. Machetes are usually 2mm thick or thinner. What can one do outside with a Para that they can't do with a Manix?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I like the Manix but I'm not as picky as some. I have a few nice G10 models but I find myself carrying the LW models more often due to the light weight and wire clip.

The CBBL has it's virtues too. I really like the self close. I don't have big hands but don't have a problem working the lock with my right hand. I kind of struggle to use the lock with my left hand because there's no clip on that side to use for leverage. Not a deal breaker for me.

The beauty of Spyderco is there's something for everyone. It's ok if you don't care for a particular model. Find the ones you like and enjoy.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

The manix is an awesome knife. I have a g10/S30v model, and a lightweight bd1 model. I generally carry the heavyweight, but if I'm wearing shorts or feel like traveling light it's the lightweight.

The ergos are great, the lock is positive and easy to use (not too stiff imo...) blade drops shut, flicks open, and the sound of the lockup is addictive! Nice metallic clang! Let's you know it's a tough, down to business tool!

I even came up with an interesting way to handle it for precision work...cradle the handle with my thumb, like a chopstick. Index finger over the top of the blade. Works when stripping out weld cable for me!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:48 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:57 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

Sometimes I read something so.....silly, I can't tell if you guys are trolling or serious.

https://streamable.com/scu88 - all three unlocks done with just my thumb on the tab. I never use a second finger on the back side tab.

Ya'll need stronger thumbs apparently Image
Pre apologies for the wall o' text.

It's not for lack of finger strength or tough skin, my job sees to that.

It's more of a thought/attention issue with the CBBL. The way I close it most comfortably is to plant the butt of the knife into my palm, pinch both sides of the cage and pull towards my palm. Still one handed, but It is fiddly and I don't like it.

With the BBL, I close it with just one thumb. However, I have to jam my sausage thumb infront of the ball and pull/roll the ball backwards. It's much easier, but still fiddly and I don't like it.

With a Comp lock or Backlock, I don't even have to think about it. I can disengage the lock with zero thought or effort. It's like an extension of my arm. Heck, my Caribbean's Spyderhole rarely gets touched, I just give it the old wrist flick and it opens(same with a CBBL). Then, I just touch the lock and flick it closed.
No muss, no fuss.

The reasons natural action is important to me are money and safety.

I get paid a flat rate per window I install. Whether that window takes an hour to install or two, it pays the same. If I have to use a knife, which do I want, the one I can operate in my sleep or the one that requires my brain to think about what I need to do in order to operate it?

I know what you're thinking, "that extra fraction of a second doesn't matter in the real world." You are right, that individual decrease in speed is inconsequential. However, when you multiply it by the number of times I use my knife per day and then add that to all the curveballs I have to deal with and other tools I have to use to do my job, that REQUIRE a great deal of thought in order to overcome/use without injuring myself or the customers(whom don't always have the best situational awareness). Those little fractions of a second are the difference between me making $50/hr or $100/hr.

Now, a safety example from a job a few months ago.

I'm standing on the top rung of a 40ft extension ladder on the fourth story of a house that is perched on a cliff. My job at that moment is to remove the glass from this 5040 picture window(usually in broken pieces), cut the aluminum frame and then rip it out of the wall with a combination of a prybar, prywood and my hands.

Now, as I am tearing this window out, balancing 40ft in the air, I notice that I am about to damage the interior paint/drywall. I have to use my knife(usually a razor knife, but it had fallen to the ground) to score the interior wall in a spot to release the caulking and prevent the damage from occurring.

In that instance, do I want to have to think about the steps to closing that knife or do I want it to be instinctual?

Please explain to me what is silly about that?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i can pinch my lw on the cbbl with my middle finger and thumb and pull it back enough to push the blade closed with my index finger. the cbbl takes some getting used to, but it’s very secure. the comp lock is slightly more fun to play with, but the i think the cbbl is better functionally.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C