Why all the Manix love?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Why all the Manix love?

Post by Doc Dan »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:30 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:54 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:27 pm
If you wear size large gloves your thumb and pinky will be touching the hook-like grooves on the handle of the Manix XL when you full grip it tightly without using the choil. You won't feel cramped, it will feel secure. Some people who wear XL gloves MAY feel cramped, but I feel the majority would not. It is a very secure grip.

Thanx! I wear L to XL gloves, for reference: The Manix 2 was very ergonomic for me, the PM2 JUST fits, one mm less grip area and it would be too short / cramped.
So I guess the Manix XL would work for me (in fact it fits Vivis hands, which are bigger than XL as far as I know).
Most should be fine. One would have to have very thick fingers to feel cramped in the grip. It's one of those handles where gripping it as tight as you possibly can feels right. No glaring hot spots despite the edges being minimally chamfered.
That’s me! Big thick fingers...think baseball glove. When my wife and I were engaged and we were about to be married and she went to the jeweler to buy my wedding ring and **** taken on a string and measured my finger. The jeweler asked her who she was marrying King Kong?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i don’t understand how anyone can say that the xl grip works for them and the m2 grip doesn’t. the finger grooves and spacing are exactly the same. even the bump behind the pinky on the m2 has the same shape as the hook of the xl and is just cut shorter, which makes the knife so much better in the pocket. i’ve held the two together to confirm they are the same shape minus the subtractions to make the manix a “mini manix” in the words of vivi. ;)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

Doesn't feel the same for big hands. The back end of my pinky hangs off the m2 a bit. I think the thumb ramp is a hair shorter too, but I could be wrong. Been a while since I owned the mini.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:51 pm
Doesn't feel the same for big hands. The back end of my pinky hangs off the m2 a bit. I think the thumb ramp is a hair shorter too, but I could be wrong. Been a while since I owned the mini.
hmmm... okay. i can concede that having really thick fingers could mean the bump on the manix 2 might feel a little shallow and allow your pinky to feel less secure. the contour is the same, but maybe the deeper hook gives you the more complete feel you like. i could see that being a possibility.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:59 pm
Vivi wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:51 pm
hmmm... okay. i can concede that having really thick fingers could mean the bump on the manix 2 might feel a little shallow and allow your pinky to feel less secure. the contour is the same, but maybe the deeper hook gives you the more complete feel you like. i could see that being a possibility.
That's all it comes down to really. The rest of the handle feels nice. I like handles with a prominent pinky hook like the XL, the Millie, Stretch, Aqua Salt etc.
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

For my Large sized gloved hands, the Manix 2 is a dream. I feel badly for all you guys with the bear paws, that it actually feels small. I also can understand your frustration with all the sprints and exclusives that come out for the Manix 2.

I'm starting to feel that way about all the PM2 and Para 3 sprints/exclusives...their so played out now that it's not even exciting anymore. Time for some other models to get some recognition...though I still dream of a G10 or LW Rex45 Manix 2!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:32 pm
For my Large sized gloved hands, the Manix 2 is a dream. I feel badly for all you guys with the bear paws, that it actually feels small. I also can understand your frustration with all the sprints and exclusives that come out for the Manix 2.

I'm starting to feel that way about all the PM2 and Para 3 sprints/exclusives...their so played out now that it's not even exciting anymore. Time for some other models to get some recognition...though I still dream of a G10 or LW Rex45 Manix 2!

G10 CPM REX 45 Manix 2 for the Win! :D
I see it in my dreams, but would rather hold it in my hand . . .
MMGRenovations

Post by MMGRenovations »

Yes! Rex45 Manix would be a instabuy!
MMGRenovations

Post by MMGRenovations »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:14 pm
the manix is the most ergonomic knife i’ve ever held. i almost wish spyderco would put a replaceable utility blade mount in a manix 2 lw handle. i’d buy one for sure.
I actually have thought about this quite a bit. I have a drawing that I made. I was going to make my own for a manix. In reality this would be a great idea for Spyderco. They could make just the blade/blade holder(or complete knife as well) to fit a manix 2 or PM2. This would give a purpose to knives with broken blades.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:32 pm

DLC Rex45 Manix LW with translucent burnt orange FRCP!
Or BHQ DLC M4 with translucent jade FRCP!
Or St Nicks DLC 4V with translucent burgundy FRCP!
Or DLC CRUWEAR with translucent smoke grey FRCP!
Or...well...you get the picture! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Well after all this time I finally gave in to all the temptation and bought a Manix 2! This is a fantastic knife, and the awesome CF and steel doesn’t hurt :D

There is NO way this knife will ever come out of my hand unwillingly! I would almost like one with smooth scales and no jimping at all. If I ever find the CF/Cruwear at a good price I’ll gab it too.

I’ve already got a Ti cage and ceramic ball on the way.

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

HA! Funny how our wishes came true from last year. That's pretty awesome! Thank you Spyderco.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Dazen wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:40 pm
Well after all this time I finally gave in to all the temptation and bought a Manix 2! This is a fantastic knife, and the awesome CF and steel doesn’t hurt :D

There is NO way this knife will ever come out of my hand unwillingly! I would almost like one with smooth scales and no jimping at all. If I ever find the CF/Cruwear at a good price I’ll gab it too.

Very nice Manix! Would love to have that clad S90v, but I wouldn't pay exorbitant prices for that blade lol. I love Manixes too - even in my small hands, they fit like a dream. The og s30v version is my go to knife for rough and tumble work.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I really wished I pick it up sooner, it’s super fidgety!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Speaking of the manix, are they behind on production because of covid or something? I was thinking of picking one up from the SFO for a bday present for my brother. Standard PE g10, blacked out g10, blurple g10, and blacked out LW all sold out.

Not mad or anything, I'm just surprised that they are sold out of so many variants.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Dazen wrote:

Congratulations on your beautiful acquisition and also your new-found appreciation for one of the best folders out there! I can't help but enjoy a little bias confirmation in the knife world. :D

I picked up a CF CPM 154/S90V Manix recently as well, and I have to say it's probably the nicest/best/most pleasing Manix 2 I've ever held. You picked a great one to start with, there's no doubt about it, and I can't wait to see what you think in a few months, after you've had it a bit longer and it's grown on you more.

In 2012, when I bought my first Manix, I thought it was really ugly, but figured it met my needs and deserved a chance. It was shortly after Spyderco switched from 154 CM on the Manix, to S30V, and during the period of time where the Manix came with a hollow grind. Milled out liners? Nope. Well, it didn't take long to realize how useful that ugly knife was. I still find the hollow ground blades to be visually unpleasant, but the flat ground blades look good to me now. In time, I began to appreciate the full liners and the beautiful contrast between stainless steel and black G10. The Manix 2 is one of the last in a dying breed of full-linered knives, and it's relatively inexpensive, compared to similar sized and outfitted models. Certainly the beautifully designed handle makes it easy to overlook any visual "shortcomings".

My point is this: don't be surprised if you find yourself proudly showing your Manix off to your friends some day.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Me personally, I enjoy the iconic leaf shape, and the free hanging blade when you release the lock, which is super easily done. Makes it the mechanism with the maybe fastest deployment of the blade. I love it (I own a Cru-Wear CF version).

If the Manix XL would come in a different steel (hint: 3V or 4V ;}), it would be a no-brainer for me, if I'd get the chance.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

archangel wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:38 am
Me personally, I enjoy the iconic leaf shape, and the free hanging blade when you release the lock, which is super easily done. Makes it the mechanism with the maybe fastest deployment of the blade. I love it (I own a Cru-Wear CF version).

If the Manix XL would come in a different steel (hint: 3V or 4V ;}), it would be a no-brainer for me, if I'd get the chance.

I'd bet you will see a St Nick's 4V Manix XL at some point. They are really cranking through the Golden models. Looking forward to that one myself!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
archangel

Post by archangel »

4V for the Manix XL has been proposed / asked for mutiple times, not just by me. It's about time our cries are being heard and our wishes fulfilled! ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Dazen wrote:

Beautiful Manix! One of my favorite iterations, up there with the backlock version of the Manix 2. On top of everything I love about the Manix already, it's got those gorgeous peel only textured solid CF scales and that awesome cutting edge technology demonstrator composite blade. :spyder: