Why all the Manix love?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tims

Re: Why all the Manix love?

Post by Tims »

I jumped on DLT trading yesterday intending to buy a Manix LW and instead ended up with a V-toku2 Stretch and an Endela :/

So, the Manix continues to be that model that never quite makes it to my pocket. Maybe next time....
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

how can anyone think this is ugly? it has great lines, despite having finger grooves and a little bit of thumb ramp, and it is just a slicey beast of a beautifully refined workhorse. it’s so good that i can hardly understand any objection to it. maybe it’s just perfect for my hands though and not as much for others. if it was a salt in lc200n and had screws instead of pivots, i wouldn’t need another mid-sized to large edc knife ever.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Was the manix backlock not popular? I'd love to to see more manix backlocks.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

In have 13 manixes at the moment.
Why? Since i first bought it it felt perfect and all still do.
The Manix has hard use DNA and that combined with its cutting performences and the position in my hand makes it my ideal knife.
I wish spyderco would make aftermarket scales for them then i would only have manixes in all shapes colors and sizes. :)
apollo

Post by apollo »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:49 am
Well i was one of the forummembers wishing for a new backlock manix.
But when it came out it was a total bust in my eyes i wanted a knife build like my original manixes not a native shaped like a manix :( yes i know the native is a good strong knife and it will never fail but darn a manix should have its weight have liners , i would of made it even heavier and stronger as the original. :D but even with this knife i am still gratefull that spyderco made it for us but it just not my cup of thea.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

apollo wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:22 am
Pelagic wrote:
But when it came out it was a total bust in my eyes i wanted a knife build like my original manixes not a native shaped like a manix :( yes i know the native is a good strong knife and it will never fail but darn a manix should have its weight have liners , i would of made it even heavier and stronger as the original. :D but even with this knife i am still gratefull that spyderco made it for us but it just not my cup of thea.
Yeah, I was disappointed as well when I saw it didn't have the manix liners. I'm just not a big fan of how the CBBL operates, from a user standpoint. I like backlocks and comp locks.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
apollo

Post by apollo »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:45 am
apollo wrote:
Pelagic wrote:
Yeah, I was disappointed as well when I saw it didn't have the manix liners. I'm just not a big fan of how the CBBL operates, from a user standpoint. I like backlocks and comp locks.
Indeed the manix needs liners. But its like spyderco is afraid of making a knife that is not LW. :(
jdw

Post by jdw »

I know the Hollow Grind on the 4v Manix turned a lot of people off, but holy cow that thing is a finely tuned piece of machinery. It is rock solid, has great balance in hand and the jimping is pronounced without being intrusive or obnoxious, exactly the way that a Manix should feel...Quick side question: Why all of the dislike for the Hollow Grind on it?
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Pelagic wrote:
Yeah, I was disappointed as well when I saw it didn't have the manix liners.
Hmm. That's odd. I thought it was great not having the liners. I thought it made for a cleaner and less busy design. There is certainly no way those thick slabs of G10 were ever going to be less than adequate.

Funny too about the hollow grind on the 4V -- I have always thought hollow grind was great and underappreciated and was looking forward to it, but on that Manix it always seemed unfortunate. The full flat grind just looks cleaner. The hollow ground Manix is certainly a fine performer. A fine knife though, despite my fickle feelings about it.

Human psychology. People hate change. Change anything and people are suspicious of it.
David R

Post by David R »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:40 am
Funny too about the hollow grind on the 4V -- I have always thought hollow grind was great and underappreciated and was looking forward to it, but on that Manix it always seemed unfortunate.
I missed the Fradon Locks exclusive 4V with a hollow grind. It has to be a great cutting tool. I didn't have experience with 4V when it came out and didn't know what I was missing.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:40 am
Pelagic wrote:
Yeah, I was disappointed as well when I saw it didn't have the manix liners.
Hmm. That's odd. I thought it was great not having the liners. I thought it made for a cleaner and less busy design. There is certainly no way those thick slabs of G10 were ever going to be less than adequate.

Funny too about the hollow grind on the 4V -- I have always thought hollow grind was great and underappreciated and was looking forward to it, but on that Manix it always seemed unfortunate. The full flat grind just looks cleaner. The hollow ground Manix is certainly a fine performer. A fine knife though, despite my fickle feelings about it.

Human psychology. People hate change. Change anything and people are suspicious of it.
the knife was just too thick and it wasn’t necessary. the blade stock, liners, and g10 thickness should’ve all stayed the same as the regular manix and i’m sure more people would’ve loved it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

I love a good full height or nearly full hollow grind, but low hollow grinds are my least favorite grind. If the hollow ground manix was fhg I would get one in a heartbeat.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

apollo wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:38 am
Pelagic wrote:
apollo wrote:
Pelagic wrote:
Indeed the manix needs liners. But its like spyderco is afraid of making a knife that is not LW. :(
It's true. The "hard use" group simply isn't large enough and therefore doesn't have the same pull as the typical edc group. I absolutely love how steel liners and large pivot washers aid the lock in stabilizing the blade during use. Less blade play, less re-tightening pivots, more confidence. I've grown to accept this though and I like spyderco anyway. If only I liked the CBBL lock.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:46 am

the knife was just too thick and it wasn’t necessary. the blade stock, liners, and g10 thickness should’ve all stayed the same as the regular manix and i’m sure more people would’ve loved it.
This was it for me. Thicker blade stock ruled it out before I even started to consider the different lock type.

Got my Cruwear one in the other day after not having a M2 for a few years now. Shouldn't have waited so long to replace it after giving my first one away to a friend.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

The Manix 2 LW is my favorite knife I own, and unfortunately it was part of the first Spyderco order I made. I say unfortunately because I have yet to have purchased another Spyderco that has successfully kicked it out of my pocket, it kind of ruined it for the rest of the knives right off the bat haha. I will say that when I first got it, I was very turned off by the CBBL, it was very stiff, I couldn’t figure out how anyone disengaged it with one hand and it hurt my fingers. I now play with it all day, flicking it open, flicking it closed, closing it slowly with just my thumb on one side and my index finger pushing the blade down with no issue or discomfort. I don’t know if I just learned where to put pressure, if the spring loosened up or if my fingers just got stronger, but I prefer it over the Compression lock for both the closing bias and fidget-ability. The only way I think the ergos could be better is if the LW had contouring like the Native or Para 3 LWs, and my sense of beauty is tightly related to utility, so I think the Manix is a darn good looking knife. I wish they made a Native sized “Mini Manix”, I’d love that. The Sage 5 comes close in shape, but it’s a Compression lock.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ez556 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:50 pm
The Manix 2 LW is my favorite knife I own, and unfortunately it was part of the first Spyderco order I made. I say unfortunately because I have yet to have purchased another Spyderco that has successfully kicked it out of my pocket, it kind of ruined it for the rest of the knives right off the bat haha. I will say that when I first got it, I was very turned off by the CBBL, it was very stiff, I couldn’t figure out how anyone disengaged it with one hand and it hurt my fingers. I now play with it all day, flicking it open, flicking it closed, closing it slowly with just my thumb on one side and my index finger pushing the blade down with no issue or discomfort. I don’t know if I just learned where to put pressure, if the spring loosened up or if my fingers just got stronger, but I prefer it over the Compression lock for both the closing bias and fidget-ability. The only way I think the ergos could be better is if the LW had contouring like the Native or Para 3 LWs, and my sense of beauty is tightly related to utility, so I think the Manix is a darn good looking knife. I wish they made a Native sized “Mini Manix”, I’d love that. The Sage 5 comes close in shape, but it’s a Compression lock.

Ever tried the Stretch 2? Very similar in dimensions as the Manix (a bit more edge though), also great ergos, handle is contoured, and should you not have used a back lock often: Like the CBBL it gets very easy and natural in use with some practice, and has a similar closing bias...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:08 pm
Ever tried the Stretch 2? Very similar in dimensions as the Manix (a bit more edge though), also great ergos, handle is contoured, and should you not have used a back lock often: Like the CBBL it gets very easy and natural in use with some practice, and has a similar closing bias...
I have held it and I’ve thought about getting one in ZDP, but if I ever did get a Seki backlock I think I’d opt for the Endura instead, I really liked the way that felt when I held it at the SFO. I tend to fidget with things though, and while I do fidget with my Dragonfly all day at work, Compression and CBBLs just tend to be much more satisfying to play with, being able to close fully with one flick and all. The Sage 5 LW has caught my eye though, one of those can be had for not much more than a Seki backlock (nicer steel considered).
Likes FRN
sal wrote:
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ez556 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:17 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:08 pm
I have held it and I’ve thought about getting one in ZDP, but if I ever did get a Seki backlock I think I’d opt for the Endura instead, I really liked the way that felt when I held it at the SFO. I tend to fidget with things though, and while I do fidget with my Dragonfly all day at work, Compression and CBBLs just tend to be much more satisfying to play with, being able to close fully with one flick and all.

While the Stretch 2 is a lot more similar to the Manix in ergos (choil and all), the Endura handle is great too. Not everybody feels like that though, but since you already held and liked the Endura: Full recommendation!! :)

Concerning closing backlocks: Here are three vids / three mehods I did for another thread. On each video initially one time done very slow, than two times how I do it normally. One shows "closing fully with one flick". ;)

https://streamable.com/myzlt

https://streamable.com/bhhzs

https://streamable.com/j7fjd
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

That first video is how I generally close a backlock. And in regards to the video closing the backlock in one motion, that’s almost the exact hand position you’d be in to close a Manix, except your index finger would just be on the other side of the lock instead of bent down to the backlock. I’d venture to say doing that with a backlock takes much more finger strength and dexterity than with a CBBL! ;)
Likes FRN
sal wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Maybe it does take more finger strength, but the fact remains Spydercos backlocks can be closed in one fluid motion, one handed, with all fingers out of the path of travel of the cutting edge. A lot of folks seem to sleep on that, so I'm glad Wartstein helps me remind em :)

FWIW I only use one finger to operate the Manix CBBL, my thumb.
:unicorn