Para 2 with button lock release..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fkmtb07

Re: Para 2 with button lock release..

Post by fkmtb07 »

C'mon man, why you gotta make all those lefty PM2's back into right-handed models? Don't you right-handers have enough PM2's already? Glad I got my lefty PM2 before the rest are butchered this way!

Totally kidding -- pretty cool mod! Makes me want to do my own mod to a right-handed PM2 so I can have a cool button-compression-lock lefty-PM2 in a rad steel!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Seems to me putting the disengage button on the right side of a right-handed lock would feel pretty normal for me, and would let me swap in my rex45 blade :D
vivi

Post by vivi »

emanuel wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:34 am
Crux wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:21 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:12 pm

The comp lock is faster than a back lock! :D
Yes, of course it is.
Hard to tell if you're sarcastic or you actually believe a back lock disengagement is anything close to fast lol.
https://streamable.com/rb27v :D
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

fkmtb07 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:18 pm
C'mon man, why you gotta make all those lefty PM2's back into right-handed models? Don't you right-handers have enough PM2's already? Glad I got my lefty PM2 before the rest are butchered this way!

Totally kidding -- pretty cool mod! Makes me want to do my own mod to a right-handed PM2 so I can have a cool button-compression-lock lefty-PM2 in a rad steel!
Think of it from the other perspective...if they're interested in making a lefty version of this mod, they'll use right handed knives which opens up the blade swap possibilities.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

I'd like to see spyderco buy this design if it's got a patent. (assuming they don't already have that covered by the making of the Smock collaboration) I think this if it works as good as it looks, would be a big CQI improvement for the PM2 and compression lock knives. I really like it.
Last edited by amateur blacksmith on Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

emanuel wrote:
Crux wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:

Yes, of course it is.
Hard to tell if you're sarcastic or you actually believe a back lock disengagement is anything close to fast lol.
*sigh*... ;) Again, a backlock can be operated at least as fast as a comp. lock, both in opening and closing.
The back lock may require a bit more practice to get "fast" using it.

Why am I repeating this? Definitely NOT cause I want to argue over the topic once more.
But I hate when people new to backlocks believe that "slow and hard to close one handed" nonsense and maybe miss out on many great backlock knives consequently...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

I'll have to admit my only backlock knives are 2 cheap knives and their action isn't smooth to begin with even after breaking them in, so I never even bothered to try to hold them in a way that flicking could be possible. Oh and my freshly bought Pacific Salt :D

@Vivi Haha, wow so slow. I bet you can't open it like that with no hands as you can do with the SuPeRiOr compression lock? :cool:
Crux

Post by Crux »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:26 am
emanuel wrote:
Crux wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:

Yes, of course it is.
*sigh*... ;) Again, a backlock can be operated at least as fast as a comp. lock, both in opening and closing.

Why am I repeating this? Definitely NOT cause I want to argue over the topic once more.
But I hate when people new to backlocks believe that "slow and hard to close one handed" nonsense and maybe miss out on many great backlock knives consequently...
I've heard people say this before but it was always just the whiskey talking. The comp lock IS the fastest lock ever even imagined, ever.

And it is at least 30% faster on the Para 3 than other models. FYI & PSA
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
araneae

Post by araneae »

Do we really need to rehash the lock topic again because someone can't properly operate a backlock?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Crux wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:07 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:26 am
emanuel wrote:
Crux wrote:

Yes, of course it is.

I've heard people say this before but it was always just the whiskey talking. The comp lock IS the fastest lock ever even imagined, ever.

And it is at least 30% faster on the Para 3 than other models. FYI & PSA

:p :p

But in all honesty, this is by no means about the principle
It's honestly a concern of mine, that people who are new to knives don't believe these silly "backlock is awkward and slow" myth.
It has been proven several times on this forum and by really experienced members and knife users, that a backlock can do everything in practical use as fast and easy as a comp. lock (I myself know that anyway from real life experience and do NOT type this for you, Crux, but for guests on this forum who might read this thread).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Crux

Post by Crux »

Ok, but you do know the Para 3 has a comp lock, so I'm conflicted.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I hope the mod does well, but I'm happy with the comp lock as it is, I don't want it to convert to button lock.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
rothnroll

Post by rothnroll »

Hello, does anyone know what kind of steel comes standard with this Para 2 with button lock release?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Pretty sure the left hand pm2s are only available in s30v.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

amateur blacksmith wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:16 am
I'd like to see spyderco buy this design if it's got a patent. (assuming they don't already have that covered by the making of the Smock collaboration) I think this if it works as good as it looks, would be a big CQI improvement for the PM2 and compression lock knives. I really like it.
IIRC, this is already in the patent for the compression lock. Spyderco's patent is actually where Mr Smock got the idea. Sal and Eric have decided that the liner edge was a more practical mechanism for most uses, and frankly I'm inclined to agree.

Happy that someone who wants a new flavour can get this and try it out, though. BWL does good work.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

I like it. Hopefully BWL will come up with more material options than G10 and one color of micarta.

If they plan on offering other handle materials later as a stand alone purchase, I'd go ahead and pre-order one.
rothnroll

Post by rothnroll »

I preordered green micarta. Excited!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:06 pm

It's honestly a concern of mine, that people who are new to knives don't believe these silly "backlock is awkward and slow" myth.
It has been proven several times on this forum and by really experienced members and knife users, that a backlock can do everything in practical use as fast and easy as a comp. lock (I myself know that anyway from real life experience and do NOT type this for you, Crux, but for guests on this forum who might read this thread).
You see the backlock discussions in the Spyderco Facebook groups. A lot ignorant statements regarding how backlocks are awkward, can't be closed one-handed, etc. According to some of the people it's the worst lock ever. I think most of the time they're just disappointed because they're not as flicky and fidgety as some of the other locking mechanisms. I try to defend and teach the virtues of the backlock but most of the time the info is just falling on deaf ears lol.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:17 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:06 pm

You see the backlock discussions in the Spyderco Facebook groups. A lot ignorant statements regarding how backlocks are awkward, can't be closed one-handed, etc. According to some of the people it's the worst lock ever. I think most of the time they're just disappointed because they're not as flicky and fidgety as some of the other locking mechanisms. I try to defend and teach the virtues of the backlock but most of the time the info is just falling on deaf ears lol.

Makes me kind of glad that I am active solely on this particular forum, but have no facebook-account and no clue about things like instagram and so on... ;)

I really can´t recall anymore how my first backlock felt for me initially, and it might very well be that there is a longer "learning curve" involved compared to other locks till a backlock feels (at least) as "fast" and natural.
But what drives me a bit nuts is when people state that they are actually and frequently using their knives and still think a backlock would be awkward. IF one REALLY uses, opens and closes their (backlock-)knives every day, it´s imho almost impossible not to find out and "learn" how easy to operate, (and, yes, in my opinion superior in more than one aspect..) this lock is.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

My first backlock was a Buck 110. The “button” is all the way at the hind end of the knife, definitely not conducive to one hand closing. Spyderco’s mid-lock design is eminently one-handable, and crisp in operation. Plenty of low cost hind-end-licks are poorly executed and cumbersome to use, so it’s worth pointing out the mid-lock positioning of Spydercos. The only other company I can recall off the top of my head that used a forward back lock is Al Mar.