Teal S30V Dragonfly Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Re: Teal S30V Dragonfly Exclusive

Post by Jazz »

Funny how most people dis S30V until it’s on a sprint. Weird. Not trying to be a jerk. Just an observation.
- best wishes, Jazz.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The Dragonfly is normally VG-10, and by comparison I think most people find s30v to be an upgrade.

Personally I'd rather have ZDP-189 than s30v, but I value stain resistance less than most people. Is this the best edge retention stainless the Dragonfly has been released in (ever)? It's a great platform, and an upgrade (in pretty much every way) from the standard steel, at a really competitive price, so I can see why people would get excited.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:44 pm
The Dragonfly is normally VG-10, and by comparison I think most people find s30v to be an upgrade.

Personally I'd rather have ZDP-189 than s30v, but I value stain resistance less than most people. Is this the best edge retention stainless the Dragonfly has been released in (ever)? It's a great platform, and an upgrade (in pretty much every way) from the standard steel, at a really competitive price, so I can see why people would get excited.

Yep, agree. Id like to see them rerun the Teal Delica, but with S30V this time.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Jazz wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:23 pm
Funny how most people dis S30V until it’s on a sprint. Weird. Not trying to be a jerk. Just an observation.

Believe me I’m aware of the irony. My girls love teal and we missed the teal delica back before I understood what sprints and exclusives were all about. Well, everyone tells me “you just haven’t tried Spyderco’s s30v yet.” :rolleyes:
Joey

Post by Joey »

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as well. I thought it would be a slow seller, especially with the bright color and how people seemed to be complaining about it early on in this thread. I about bought 1 a few days back at GPK, then decided against it. They flew off the stock shelves, so I found a way to get one some other way (luckily still at retail + tax).
One thing that I considered is how often Spyderco sends S30V to Japan, and I like the color enough. My wife likes the color and enjoys carrying knives, so she might end up with it. I don’t mind letting her take it over if it makes her happy to be carrying knives :)
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Jazz wrote:
I think the folks who hate on S30v represent a small number of vocal enthusiasts who only want Uber steel. They aren't statistically significant outside of knife forums. S30v is a very good steel at most price points and an outstanding steel for <$70.

Even the anti S30v crowd will mostly admit it's an upgrade over vg10. Add that to the uncommon, if polarizing, color, the small run and small price bump over the standard model and you have a recipe for a quick sellout.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:56 am
Jazz wrote:
I think the folks who hate on S30v represent a small number of vocal enthusiasts who only want Uber steel. They aren't statistically significant outside of knife forums. S30v is a very good steel at most price points and an outstanding steel for <$70.

Even the anti S30v crowd will mostly admit it's an upgrade over vg10. Add that to the uncommon, if polarizing, color, the small run and small price bump over the standard model and you have a recipe for a quick sellout.
I would tend to agree with you. I am not big on S30v, although I can't give you a lot of reasons why, I think that the color is just bizarre for a knife, and I was probably one of the first negative posts. However it is unique enough that I have one on the way. Go figure. :rolleyes:
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

jdw wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:21 am
I would tend to agree with you. I am not big on S30v, although I can't give you a lot of reasons why, I think that the color is just bizarre for a knife, and I was probably one of the first negative posts. However it is unique enough that I have one on the way. Go figure. :rolleyes:
Behold the power of Spyderco!

If you don't like it, it would make a great gift. Small unintimidating knives in pastel colors are a great gateway for non knife users. I gave my wife a dragonfly and now she has three (purse, car and junk drawer).
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Looks like I missed out ... but I can live with that. Picking up 7 Yaxell's at 20% off plus another $50 in store credit over the holiday weekend helps out. It was a great buy, and I actually ran out of funds 2 knives shy of what I wanted.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

[quote=Notsurewhy post_id=1344860 time=1563024198 user_id=1001795
[/quote]
Behold the power of Spyderco!

If you don't like it, it would make a great gift. Small unintimidating knives in pastel colors are a great gateway for non knife users. I gave my wife a dragonfly and now she has three (purse, car and junk drawer).
[/quote]

My wife saw my orange DF and somehow it became hers. Since then, her DF collection has grown. :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

cycleguy wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:36 pm
Looks like I missed out ... but I can live with that. Picking up 7 Yaxell's at 20% off plus another $50 in store credit over the holiday weekend helps out. It was a great buy, and I actually ran out of funds 2 knives shy of what I wanted.

CG

... and only you know what a Yaxell is.
- best wishes, Jazz.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:32 pm
cycleguy wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:36 pm

CG

... and only you know what a Yaxell is.
There is a thing called the internet and you could google it if you cared to :D

But I will give you a hint: It starts with a "K" and ends with an "E" and it does not go in your pocket. Two are made from a material called BD1N and five are from a material called VG10. You should be able to figure it out...

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
laker_cj

Post by laker_cj »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:19 pm
Redman5006 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:18 pm

Just picked up one from KnivesShipFree. Checked GPKnives and KnifeJoy first with no luck. Can anyone confirm how many are in this run?

i was told 600 made and they have all already shipped to the dealers. bhq made be the last place to grab one once they go live today or tomorrow.
600, 100% accurate answer.
My Owned :spyder: - Tasman Salt; Endura; Delica; Embassy; Tenacious; Kitchen Santoku; Yojimbo2; Pattada; SpyderPac; Para 3; Paramilitary 2; Ouroboros; Dragonfly; Squarehead; Ambitious; Ladybug; Kitchen Utility; Cricket; Rescue; Pingo; Native 5; Gayle Bradley Folder; Rubicon; Dice; Remote Release II; Manix; Moran Drop Point; Polestar; Ikuchi; Sliverax; Bow River; Szabo Folder
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

laker_cj wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:15 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:19 pm
Redman5006 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:18 pm

Just picked up one from KnivesShipFree. Checked GPKnives and KnifeJoy first with no luck. Can anyone confirm how many are in this run?

i was told 600 made and they have all already shipped to the dealers. bhq made be the last place to grab one once they go live today or tomorrow.
600, 100% accurate answer.

you sound "in the know" cj, so if that's the case let me suggest an S30V Teal Jester as your swan song in this series! :D a rerun of the Teal Delica, but in S30V this time seems like a no-brainer as well. i have 4 of the Dragonflies coming. cant wait! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
araneae

Post by araneae »

Wait, how did I miss this?!?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

araneae wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:33 am
I think blade hq still hasn't listed their allotment yet so there's still a chance!
araneae

Post by araneae »

I will have to be vigilant, I need this. It's a good year for the D'fly. If anyone spots them in stock, please pm me.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:51 am
araneae wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:33 am
I think blade hq still hasn't listed their allotment yet so there's still a chance!

Yeah, I am wondering what the hold up is with the BladeHQ allotment.
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Perhaps they bought all of the second run?
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

araneae wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:04 am
I will have to be vigilant, I need this. It's a good year for the D'fly. If anyone spots them in stock, please pm me.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ife--99796

If you go there and click "email me when available" they will. Probably the best way not to miss it. I'd also have payment info saved, just to be ready since this is probably the last of them.