Saturday work knife revisited.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

Saturday work knife revisited.

Post by benben »

Picked up this Pacific late Saturday afternoon, this was the last of the four I had on my must purchase list along with a Cru-wear Para 3, a Yojimbo, and a Lil' Native, guess I need to start a new list! I absolutely did NOT want a yellow knife......but now after playing with it all day yesterday, it's starting to grow on me. This thing is watch yourself sharp!

download/file.php?mode=view&id=35099
Attachments
thumbnail - 2019-07-08T075110.594.jpg
Sumdumguy

Re: Saturday work knife revisited.

Post by Sumdumguy »

I used to like the Pacific, until I got my Caribbean. The Pacific is now in the for sale pile. H1(even SE) loses it's sharpness too quickly, LC200N cuts circles around it.

I still want a SpyderHawk, but I'm going to wait for LC200N or get a VG-10 version.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
benben

Post by benben »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:38 am
I used to like the Pacific, until I got my Caribbean. The Pacific is now in the for sale pile. H1(even SE) loses it's sharpness too quickly, LC200N cuts circles around it.

I still want a SpyderHawk, but I'm going to wait for LC200N or get a VG-10 version.
Understood, this is my first go-round ever with H1, and for what I paid (smoking deal) for this Pacific compared to the price of a Caribbean, I'm going to be very happy with this purchase!!
jdw

Post by jdw »

I like H1 for what I use it for. I use a HB Dfly for flower beds at least weekly. If I really need something more than that but I still need stainless I just go to 110v and jump the LC200N altogether.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

benben wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:45 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:38 am

Understood, this is my first go-round ever with H1, and for what I paid (smoking deal) for this Pacific compared to the price of a Caribbean, I'm going to be very happy with this purchase!!
H1 keeps confusing me... All that work hardening happening or not, SE holding it´s edge great and way better than PE or not, depending on who you ask... :confused:

But: I know, there´s a solution: Try it myself... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

That there is a legendary knife. Use it and enjoy it's cutting power.
- best wishes, Jazz.
benben

Post by benben »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:13 am
That there is a legendary knife. Use it and enjoy it's cutting power.
Thanks Jazz, I'm sure I will.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Benben,

The price is a kicker on the Caribbean, mine was a super steal at $125. It's still worth the full price, but I completely understand the value aspect of the Pacific. It is a fine knife.

Warstein,

I can't speak to PE vs SE. I only have one in SE, it will never let you down. However, LC200N holds a razor sharp edge for WAY longer. H1 loses that razor sharp edge fairly quick, but still remains sharp.

LC200N, If I touch it on the fine stones once every week or two(~10 passes per side) it never stops being razor sharp. I have done one full sharpening in a year of ownership, more out of boredom than necessity.

H1, I have to pass it over the fine stones before I start a task if I need it screaming sharp. It will tear theough stuff without sharpening for a very long time.

JDW,

I used S110V exclusively for two years and LOVED it. I loved it until one day it catastrophically(slight exageration) chipped out on a puny zip tie. I spent HOURS trying to sharpen out the two 1/16" chips, still to this day I haven't got them all the way out.
I replaced my S110V PM2 and Native 5 for a Caribbean and discovered that LC200N was amazing.

I have glanced it off of concrete, smacked the edge against steel and numerous other inadvertent abuses while working. It has never had anything more than a slightly rolled edge that took a few seconds on the fine rods to fix.

I'm not knocking S110V, but in real world usage the edge retention isn't a big enough advantage to best LC200N. It has advantages in toughness, corrosion resistance and ease of sharpening. It also holds a sharper edge for longer than S110V in my experience.

S110V is the king of working edge, but I could sharpen the Caribbean on a desert island with a stick and a rock.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
benben

Post by benben »

Gotta say, I’m several years late to the party! I have a drawer full of PE Spydies, this serrated Pacific hasn’t left my pocket since the day I bought it! I know this is old news to you guys, this thing cuts unreal, and I’m actually liking the yellow! My eyes have been opened!