Marbled CF or Scale Swap?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Marbled CF or Scale Swap?

Post by jdw »

I was wondering how functional the CF scales on the 4v M2 actually are? I've kept it put up until now but I am ready to use put it to good use. The jimping is incredible so I am not really worried about slipping on the smooth CF but will they hold up under pretty normal camping/hiking use or would you go with a scale swap? The f&f is so absolutely perfect that I am also worried about screwing that up with a swap. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks, as always.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
ZrowsN1s

Re: Marbled CF or Scale Swap?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The way the handle of the manix is built you could grease the handle and still hold onto it. As far as the CF holding up in camping.... you're in no danger of breaking it, but how do you feel about scratches?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
jdw

Post by jdw »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:36 pm
The way the handle of the manix is built you could grease the handle and still hold onto it. As far as the CF holding up in camping.... you're in no danger of breaking it, but how do you feel about scratches?
Scratches on the scales are just good memories. The breaking it was my main concern, the scales just don't feel solid enough. I know that can just be an illusion though.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

I dont have the M2 in 4v but I do have the Kapara which has solid - marbled CF. I've carried and used this knife as my primary EDC for sometime now and plan on it for the foreseeable future. It holds up perfectly under normal use.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

CF is plenty solid. It may feel lightweight and insubstantial, but CF is very strong. The only bad thing is it can be brittle and chipped if dropped.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I have lots of Spydercos with smooth CF scales ever since Spydercos started offering them, as well as a number of other brands.

They are very tough but as soc_monki states they can chip if dropped. I like to add, in my experience they usually chip in tiny pieces, which can be easily sanded to blend in. I can't make them completely go away, but good enough to where I forget it ever happened unless I look closely. Anyway I chalk it up to character like a good patina on a blade.

Regarding the Manix 2, I feel that the handle design is so good (plus jimping all over the place) I never felt the need for textured scales. Mine came with textured "peel-ply" CF. I replaced them with smooth CF scales and like the feel soooo much better.
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

My knives with CF scales seem to hold up a little better than G10 actually. Now I haven't caused some major impacts to these knives so I cant say absolutely that its a stronger material but it seems to be a little tougher against dings and dents than G10, which is already a very strong material.

Think about it like this... they make the chassis of some race cars out of CF and those conditions put tremendous force on the parts in use. If it can stay together holding up a race car going around a track at crazy speeds exerting massive G force along the way it'll serve your knife handle perfectly fine under normal use.