Spyderco Carving and Whittling Knives.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knivesandbooks

Spyderco Carving and Whittling Knives.

Post by knivesandbooks »

Would there be any interest in this and what would be a good way for Spyderco to go about this? Besides some small makers, the only real competition that I know of is Mora. I'm in always the market for good carving knives and would love a Spyderco option.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Mstach07

Re: Spyderco Carving and Whittling Knives.

Post by Mstach07 »

I am very interested. Mora makes a good wood knife and spoon knife but I believe Spyderco can make an even better combo. Something like the mora 120 and 164 would be great.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I've seen some very impressive work done, by a user on here, with a combination of a Des Horn and Nilakka!
Would be very interested to see Spyderco's take on a dedicated wood carver and hook knife though!
:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The Des Horn made a pretty good whittler, as did the Nilakka, the Puuko and the Wolfspyder. You may notice they are all out of production now. They were all insanely expensive compared to Moras, which makes it unlikely that Spyderco is going to break into that market any time soon.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It's possible that I'm the one Mushroom was talking about.

And the Nilakka project.

bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

^The Puuko was a beauty but tough to justify when you can get a custom with an exotic steel for less or like you point out a Mora for 10 bucks.

Edit: Holy crap! That's insane!!! :eek:
-Turbo
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:21 pm

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]
Cool work man!

A Nilakka sprint in 52100 would be sweeeet lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'm just wondering though: Mora makes cheap but good carving blades. I think they're around $30. What if Spyderco took some VToku and a wooden or even frn round handle and made a $60 carving knife. Or even a nice $100 carving knife with 52100 made simply? Maybe the carving world is an untapped market. I'm not very good but I dabble often, especially on nice nights. I bet Spyderco would sell more than a few if they kept them at or under $100.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I can’t see Spyderco or any other knife manufacturer competing with Mora’s Sloyds which leave nothing to be desired in wood carving knives. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I've actually ordered a book on beginner whittling projects yesterday coincidentally :p Might be in the market for one if I have some affinity for whittling.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
FK

Post by FK »

Under $100 with 52100 blade,,,, i would purchase 2 or 3 immediately.

Regards,
FK
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

FK wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:33 am
Under $100 with 52100 blade,,,, i would purchase 2 or 3 immediately.

Regards,
FK
Well maybe under 100 in 52100 is asking a lot.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

And there you are, asking a lot. That is, asking for a lot of knife for a little money, which is where things usually end up. Spyderco may contribute a lot to charities, but they haven't gone non-profit yet.

When you whittle a lot, you sharpen a lot, so you wear away steel pretty quickly. Given that little observation, expensive knives don't make a lot of sense. I've done enough whittling with various steels to see some advantages to higher end steels, but I still question whether those advantages are worth the expense. Will a $300 knife last longer than 10 $30 knives? Will an exotic steel hold that hair-splitting edge ten times as long as 1095 or O-1? My own experience says "no". YMMV.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:51 am
I can’t see Spyderco or any other knife manufacturer competing with Mora’s Sloyds which leave nothing to be desired in wood carving knives. :)
Hey BLOKE I agree with you on the Mora knives>> but there is an American company known as "Flexcut" who has some pretty nice looking carving and whittling knives. Also some of the older CASE knives from years gone by were designed for carving and whittling. It's interesting that I've encountered two carvers in the past two years and both of them like Karambit type knives for carving. One of the guys was telling me that he used to have one of the old Warren Thomas Karambit models that Spyderco had around 2005 or thereabout.

I've also thought that Spyderco's Dodo model would be a nice carving tool as well.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:08 pm
Bloke wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:51 am
Hey BLOKE I agree with you on the Mora knives>> but there is an American company known as "Flexcut" who has some pretty nice looking carving and whittling knives. Also some of the older CASE knives from years gone by were designed for carving and whittling. It's interesting that I've encountered two carvers in the past two years and both of them like Karambit type knives for carving. One of the guys was telling me that he used to have one of the old Warren Thomas Karambit models that Spyderco had around 2005 or thereabout.

I've also thought that Spyderco's Dodo model would be a nice carving tool as well.
Hey Joe, I thought about the Flexcut whittlers but bought a really nice set of small Japanese laminated chisels instead.

I don't whittle with purpose very much anymore but I do enjoy making balls in cages to give to my grandkiddies. I've used various knives claiming to be Whittlers as you describe but I've found nothing comes close to a true zero ground Scandi of simple carbon steel like the Mora Sloyds with a polished bevel off something like a translucent or black Arkansas and maintained with a stiff leather strop and chrome oxide. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin