Chaparral FRN CQI

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Chaparral FRN CQI

Post by Wartstein »

Wright.88 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:29 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:59 pm
Wright.88 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:45 pm
Took some comparison pictures of the Dragonfly, Chap LW, and Delica. I think the Chap LW is going to kick both of those out of my pocket!
Could you maybe post one more comparison pic showing the opened knives from above? So comparing thickness (thinness) of handles and blade stocks?
Here you go! Handle thickness: Chap LW<Dragonfly<Delica. Blade thickness: Chap LW<Dragonfly=Delica.

Great! Thanks! Though due to the DFlys swedge its blade actually looks thinner than the Chaps; when in fact: DFly 2.5mm, Chap 2mm...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:42 am
Wright.88 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:29 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:59 pm
Wright.88 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:45 pm
Took some comparison pictures of the Dragonfly, Chap LW, and Delica. I think the Chap LW is going to kick both of those out of my pocket!
Could you maybe post one more comparison pic showing the opened knives from above? So comparing thickness (thinness) of handles and blade stocks?
Here you go! Handle thickness: Chap LW<Dragonfly<Delica. Blade thickness: Chap LW<Dragonfly=Delica.

Great! Thanks! Though due to the DFlys swedge its blade actually looks thinner than the Chaps; when in fact: DFly 2.5mm, Chap 2mm...
Yeah you can see the actual blade thickness better if you look at the jimping (before any tapering or swedges).
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Dang, maybe I should try this little knife............Small and cute.........But I like to see a longer 4 inch version :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

Carrying the Chaparral for about two weeks off and on. It's great. I only have one small nitpick. The honeycomb FRN is very grippy and almost sharp, like fish scales. I especially notice it when I put my hand in and out of my pocket. Will the scales soften up over time? Maybe my hands are too sensitive :o
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

grubetown wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:14 pm
Carrying the Chaparral for about two weeks off and on. It's great. I only have one small nitpick. The honeycomb FRN is very grippy and almost sharp, like fish scales. I especially notice it when I put my hand in and out of my pocket. Will the scales soften up over time? Maybe my hands are too sensitive :o
The edges soften with use.
Edward_Scissorhands

Post by Edward_Scissorhands »

see next post
Last edited by Edward_Scissorhands on Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edward_Scissorhands

Hey guys, I did the spring mod (where it gets repositioned in it's slot), but I noticed that the opposite end got really close to the blade when closed. I didn't like this, so I snipped a piece off that end (circled in red) like 1-2 mm. Do you think it was OK to do this? Knife seems to function fine. Hopefully, it doesn't mess anything up in the long run.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Edward_Scissorhands wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:11 pm
Hey guys, I did the spring mod (where it gets repositioned in it's slot), but I noticed that the opposite end got really close to the blade when closed. I didn't like this, so I snipped a piece off that end (circled in red) like 1-2 mm. Do you think it was OK to do this? Knife seems to function fine. Hopefully, it doesn't mess anything up in the long run.
To be clear: I am just guessing, no tech person or something ! :

I don´t know if it can "mess up anything on the long run", but really don´t think so... as long as you stick with the mod, that is!
Perhaps you could run into problems if you´d choose to reposition the spring into its original position some day though.

And I seem to recall another thread about that mod, where the poster was saying that the end of the spring gets rather close to the edge indeed, but would not touch it at all, unless one would "squeeze" the knife together in the closed position.

For others who plan on doing the mod: Beforehand I´d really recommend trying to break the knife/the lock in, maybe for a longer period than you´re used to, in my experience it WILL eventually!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Edward_Scissorhands

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:00 am

I don´t know if it can "mess up anything on the long run", but really don´t think so... as long as you stick with the mod, that is!
Perhaps you could run into problems if you´d choose to reposition the spring into its original position some day though.

And I seem to recall another thread about that mod, where the poster was saying that the end of the spring gets rather close to the edge indeed, but would not touch it at all, unless one would "squeeze" the knife together in the closed position.

For others who plan on doing the mod: Beforehand I´d really recommend trying to break the knife/the lock in, maybe for a longer period than you´re used to, in my experience it WILL eventually!
Thanks. The knife seems pretty dang good now. I probably should've waited for it to break in, but it was almost unusable brand new. I think maybe if I ever moved that spring back to the factory position, it could be too short since I snipped it, but I don't plan on doing that. When I did the original mod, the spring wasn't touching the blade, but like you said, it could touch it if I squeezed it a bit.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:27 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:00 am

Thanks. The knife seems pretty dang good now. I probably should've waited for it to break in, but it was almost unusable brand new. I think maybe if I ever moved that spring back to the factory position, it could be too short since I snipped it, but I don't plan on doing that. When I did the original mod, the spring wasn't touching the blade, but like you said, it could touch it if I squeezed it a bit.

I´m sure you´ll be fine and glad you like the Chap! :)
It´s one of the most perfect designs out there (does everything right for a small knife imho)
Edward_Scissorhands

Another question about the spring mod...
When moving the spring for this mod, does it affect how easy/hard it is to open the blade, or is that only effected by the detent?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:03 pm
When moving the spring for this mod, does it affect how easy/hard it is to open the blade, or is that only effected by the detent?
Both of mine seem easier to open. Not exactly sure what you mean by detent. There is no detent + ball like liner, frame, & compression lock knives have. The spring is what helps keep it closed.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Edward_Scissorhands

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:49 pm
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:03 pm
Both of mine seem easier to open. Not exactly sure what you mean by detent. There is no detent + ball like liner, frame, & compression lock knives have. The spring is what helps keep it closed.
Yeah, I guess there is no detent like the comp lock knives. Looking at it closer, it is just the spring, like you said. I was just worried that by messing with the spring, it might make the knife too easy to open (like accidentally or something), but it seems fine.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Hopefully the next batch released has the CQI spring done.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cscottsss wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:45 am

Not sure I'll like that... the current Chap breaks in real nicely eventually (though it takes longer than on other backlocks)

Could that mean, that a broken in CQI spring would make the lock TOO soft and easy to depress? Don't know...
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:50 am
Cscottsss wrote:

Not sure I'll like that... the current Chap breaks in real nicely eventually (though it takes longer than on other backlocks)

Could that mean, that a broken in CQI spring would make the lock TOO soft and easy to depress? Don't know...
Yeah, I don't know about the latter.

Just going by what Sal mentioned in another thread.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cscottsss wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:06 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:50 am
Cscottsss wrote:

Yeah, I don't know about the latter.

Just going by what Sal mentioned in another thread.
We´ll see! But I am sure Spyderco will take their time and make the CQI perfect and so that it is an actual improvement of course (though just for me the Chap FRN CAN`T be improved any further... :D )
pkl

Post by pkl »

For those who are interested, I spotted an apparent example of this CQI while browsing Reddit today. It now features Manix 2 Lightweight-style boundaries for the hardware and clip, and the clip screw has been shifted away from the end of the handle, perhaps among other things.